Gregor

Computer gurus?

echris

On one of our yearly July4th camping trips, we were rafting down the Delaware River.....

echris

@Gregor is like, "HOW IS THIS HELPING ME!?!?! :angry-cussingblack: "

:D

• Haha 1

Snoopy11
35 minutes ago, echris said:

We went from uploading/internet issues to PDF problems and I'm not really sure how? :)

vous avez oublié le lingo de l'ordinateur... et sécurisation du matériel des FAI... :P

Don
  • Haha 1

Snoopy11
6 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Give us half a chance and we could drift any thread!

Oh certainly. No doubt about it... let alone entrer le @ebinmaine... we'd probably get off on something like banana splits... :laughing-rolling:

:banana-jumprope::banana-linedance::banana-jumprope:

Don

• Like 1

echris
3 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:
vous avez oublié le lingo de l'ordinateur... et sécurisation du matériel des FAI... :P

Don

I apologize Don. Please release and renew your IP and then flush DNS. While you're at it, make sure your local user account is a standard user, not admin, and your local admin password is a unique, strong password.

Est-ce que cela aide?

• Haha 1

Snoopy11
1 minute ago, echris said:

I apologize Don. Please release and renew your IP and then flush DNS. While you're at it, make sure your local user account is a standard user, not admin, and your local admin password is a unique, strong password.

Est-ce que cela aide?

Hell, where am I? Nobody here speaks english... :laughing-rolling:

Don

• Haha 1

echris
5 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

Hell, where am I? Nobody here speaks english... :laughing-rolling:

Don

If you really want to get crazy, you can randomize the local admin password on your machine using the following script. All you need to do is create a dictionary file containing as many words as you want and save it as c:\OEM\dict\dict.csv.

#Rotate Password - Local Admin

#Rotates local admin password using dictionary file downloaded using "Download Dictionary" script.

###Globals
$Username = "####"
$Path = "c:\OEM\dict\dict.csv"

$rand = new-object System.Random
$conjunction = "THE","MY","WE","OUR","AND","BUT","PLUS"
$conjunction2 = "need","your","mine","their","or","if","also"
$words = import-csv $Path
$word1 = ($words[$rand.Next(0,$words.Count)]).Word
$con = ($conjunction[$rand.Next(0,$conjunction.Count)])
$word2 = ($words[$rand.Next(0,$words.Count)]).Word
$con2 = ($conjunction2[$rand.Next(0,$conjunction2.Count)])
$word3 = ($words[$rand.Next(0,$words.Count)]).Word
$NewPW = $word1 + "-" + $con + "-" + $word2 + "-" + $con2 + "-" + $word3

try
{
    net user $Username $NewPW
}
catch
{
    $Err = $_.Exception.Message
    Write-Host $Err
}

Write-host "New password for $Username is $NewPW"

:lol:

Edited by echris
  • Haha 1

Snoopy11
2 minutes ago, echris said:

If you really want to get crazy, you can randomize the local admin password on your machine using the following script. All you need to do is create a dictionary file containing as many words as you want and save it as c:\OEM\dict\dict.csv.

My... palms are sweating... reading that... :eusa-shifty:

UHM... I think I will stick to... engines... :hide:

Don

• Like 1

echris

Years ago I was looking for work. There's a Caterpillar dealer about 3 miles from my house and they had THE PERFECT IT job for me. I never even got an interview.

I wanted to go bang on their door and tell them, "I'm just as much at home in the shop as I am in the computer room. This job is FOR MEEE!!!"

They always have 20-30 skid-steers in the yard, at least a dozen big-a$$ excavators etc. :(

• Like 1

Gregor

Hello?   Hello?  Anybody there?  Am I still in Kansas?  Auntie  Em? Toto    Toto     Please help me.............

• Haha 2

Gregor

What started this particular discussion is this. I was trying to post a spread sheet, but it seems it was in ods format, and no one could open it. @Handy Donconverted it to a PDF which I guess anyone can open. Then I was trying to convert it to PDF on my end by choosing a , Printer option?  Needless to say, I screwed that up. I did find a way to post the information on the LibreOffice spread sheet in such a way that everyone could view it. THATS where we stand at this point. :confusion-confused:

Gregor

NOW ! I have a whole new computer problem, But I won't muddy the waters any more than they are at this point. I will get to it later.

• Like 2

Snoopy11
7 hours ago, Gregor said:

NOW ! I have a whole new computer problem, But I won't muddy the waters any more than they are at this point. I will get to it later.

:popcorn:

Don

Gregor
On 11/26/2021 at 9:40 AM, Gregor said:

This is simply a test. Pay no attention to it.

Tecumseh parts.ods 65.73 kB · 4 downloads

OK I changed my mind. Someone pay attention to it. Can anyone else open and read that file?

Here is that same file again. Can anyone open this?

LAWN BOY STOCK - Copy.pdf

Handy Don
2 hours ago, Gregor said:

Here is that same file again. Can anyone open this?

Both open fine for me. ODS opens in Excel. PDF opens in my PDF reader (MacOS Preview).

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
2 hours ago, Gregor said:

open this

Yep, no problem!

• Like 1

Handy Don

@Gregor By jove, you've got it!

Gregor

I found a free program on line that (supposedly) converts any type of file, to a PDF. After a bit of fumbling, it worked. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

davem1111
On 12/3/2021 at 10:29 AM, Gregor said:

I found a free program on line that (supposedly) converts any type of file, to a PDF. After a bit of fumbling, it worked. :handgestures-thumbupright:

I just noticed this thread, because @caseeaks posted the message about HDD vs. SSD.  I don't know if that was in response to a question or just sharing an "FYI", but what caseeaks said in there is correct. (First post though - is that just a plug for that website?) :eusa-think:

I was going to say something about the ODS - PDF question.  When I opened the PDF, the last column of the spreadsheet has dropped onto another page.  I think this is easily fixable, if you haven't found a way to format this the way you want yet.  I use both LibreOffice and MS Excel on a regular basis, as well as several "print to PDF" options.

Maybe I'm asking for trouble here :laughing-rofl:  but I've been in computers and IT for about 35 years.  I work on "big" data center stuff most of the time, but have been building and upgrading PCs, wired and WiFi networks for many years, have done some programming and website hosting, etc. so if anyone needs computer-related help feel free to ask. :eusa-whistle:

I built this recently, over the holidays (10 core Intel E5-2670 CPU, 64GB RAM, 250GB SSD and 6TB HDD).  Son has "re-decorated" it since then, so my bones are back on the shelf:

IMG_0025.jpeg

Edited by davem1111
minor typos

Jeff-C175
3 minutes ago, davem1111 said:

First post though - is that just a plug for that website?

Common Spammer Troll

Looks like he's gone now.

report that type of post when you see them.

• Excellent 2

davem1111
4 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Common Spammer Troll

Looks like he's gone now.

report that type of post when you see them.

Will do - only first saw it a few minutes ago :handgestures-salute:B)

On the plus side though, it brought this thread to my attention, which may be a good thing.

BTW, where in NJ are you?  I spent many years in Southern Hunterdon County, north of Trenton. Went to college at Rutgers in New Brunswick.  Still have family there and will be visiting in a few weeks.  

Jeff-C175
1 hour ago, davem1111 said:

Will do - only first saw it a few minutes ago :handgestures-salute:B)

On the plus side though, it brought this thread to my attention, which may be a good thing.

BTW, where in NJ are you?  I spent many years in Southern Hunterdon County, north of Trenton. Went to college at Rutgers in New Brunswick.  Still have family there and will be visiting in a few weeks.  

I guess there's always an up side to bad stuff!  

Red Bank / Long Branch / Asbury Park are the nearest towns you might know.  About an hour southeast of Hunterdon County.

davem1111
Just now, Jeff-C175 said:

I guess there's always an up side to bad stuff!  

Red Bank / Long Branch / Asbury Park are the nearest towns you might know.  About an hour southeast of Hunterdon County.

Dude.  I lived in Ocean Grove for a while with my first wife. Could see the Asbury Park Convention Center out my window. Spent a summer in college painting houses in Point Pleasant for free room & board. My first IT job was at Bell Labs in Holmdel.  I know the parts of NJ above Rt. 70 and below I-80 pretty well, and the rest I'm familiar with. :music-rockon:

Jeff-C175
1 hour ago, davem1111 said:

Ocean Grove

Probably when had to park your car outside the gates on Sunday if you wanted to go anywhere!  

I was on a crew that painted that old wooden roller coaster in Asbury ... sometime around ...  I'm gonna say 1972 ?  Had to get over my fear of heights for that one!

Used to know a lot of the guys from the Labs.  Grew up just a hop down the road from there.

Small world!

• Like 1

Snoopy11
2 hours ago, davem1111 said:

Dude.  I lived in Ocean Grove for a while with my first wife.

So... let me see if I have this straight. You... lived/worked near where Jeff does... and now you live/work near where I do... :confusion-scratchheadyellow:

You... must. like. to live near... nuts.... :laughing-rolling:

Don

• Haha 2