Ragman33

Raider 12 doesn’t have spark

Ragman33

Hey I’ve got my old mans old tractor that’s been in the family since it was new. Probably sometime in the 60s. Me and the Father in law are trying to get it running, and it doesn’t have any spark. From what I’ve been able to dig up, it has the pointless ignition on it. Anyone know what the part number for the coil would be so I can get looking for one? I have a feeling there isn’t many of them around

953 nut

:WRS:

Sadly the trigger ignition systems are prone to have problems and there are no direct replacement parts.       But, there is a rather easy and inexpensive way around this problem. @Aldon did a thread here on converting to a battery ignition system with readily available parts.

• Excellent 2

Achto

:text-yeahthat: Unless of course you happen to have a Tecumseh engine in your tractor. 

:WRS: A picture of your tractor or info on which engine you have (Kohler or Tecumseh) will help us help you.

• Like 1

Ragman33

It’s the Kohler motor. I’ll attach the images of the data plate off the motor and casting number.

I think even a wiring diagram would help me. The black box that’s beside the flywheel has no power at any terminal. I’m not too sure how these systems work, but I imagine it’s a magnetic switch in there that should send power to the coil correct? So one side of it should have power. There’s two wires running to the coil though, one from that switch, and one from somewhere else. I didn’t have too much time to fiddle with it today, but the other wire seemed to have a diode or resistor or something on it.

D47F24CE-F2DE-4438-A3C4-A4EE71653052.jpeg

4F4FE90C-2B5E-4778-9F0C-061948B5E595.jpeg

A90D9438-FB56-4DEF-B098-BA338FA46241.jpeg

Achto
8 hours ago, Ragman33 said:

So one side of it should have power.

You have a magneto ignition, there for you should not have any power going to the coil. A magnet on the flywheel charges the coil as it passes over it, this creates your spark. The wire running from the coil to the switch grounds out the coil when the switch is in the off position. This kills the engine. The little black box is basically an electronic replacement for points.

Check through our manuals section, you will find full parts and wiring manuals.

gwest_ca

pfrederi
1 hour ago, Achto said:

You have a magneto ignition, there for you should not have any power going to the coil. A magnet on the flywheel charges the coil as it passes over it, this creates your spark. The wire running from the coil to the switch grounds out the coil when the switch is in the off position. This kills the engine. The little black box is basically an electronic replacement for points.

Check through our manuals section, you will find full parts and wiring manuals.

NO  It is a Breakerless ignition.  Never apply any voltage to either terminal.  There are two tests in the manual linked above for breakerless.  Check the external coil for resistance and then take the trigger off (Box with I and A) Use a couple flashlight batteries and bulb to test it.

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Achto
50 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

It is a Breakerless ignition.

Thanks, I was going on this statement from the manual to try to help simplify the understanding of the system.

(The breakerless ignition system operates on the same general principle as the magneto system but does not use breaker points and conventional ignition condenser to time the spark. A trigger module containing solid state electronics performs the same function as the breaker points.)

Edited by Achto
  • Like 1

Ragman33

Thanks guys. I'll see what I can figure out this weekend

• Like 1

Ragman33

Ok so I’ve gotten back to my father in laws. It’s got plenty of spark. Seems to be getting fuel, but we’re gonna take the carb apart and give it a good clean. Plus a new plug. 

oliver2-44

@Ragman33 When you clean the carb use a tiny wire and a magnifier glass and clean out the little holes in the body.   Be careful not to enlarge them. Also the long brass needle has holes in it top and bottom and is hollow.  You should be able to blow through it like a whisel.