adsm08

New Project

adsm08

Little more work happened today:

Gas tank:

qx61gSh.jpg

tEOfvuH.jpg

Belt guard:

This was damaged at some point in the past and "repaired" by riveting a piece of aluminum to what was left of the original. I plan to build a whole new one at some point, but for now a quick shot of fresh yellow, and she'll work. If I want this thing ready for the show I need to get it going, and worry about some of the more time-intense details later, as time allows.

pZdPz7X.jpg

And last, but not least, the grill:

F8oDW59.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4
  • Heart 1

SylvanLakeWH

Looking good!

:eusa-clap:

• Like 1

ebinmaine
On 5/22/2022 at 5:50 AM, SylvanLakeWH said:

Looking good!

:eusa-clap:

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 1

adsm08

Left work around noon today, because there was nothing to do. I finished cleaning the frame, to the best of my ability. There are so many small places and cavities that can't be accessed well without cutting structural welds but I did what I could with wire wheels and sand paper. Most of the frame was just really dirty and there is a lot of paint left on it. I'm going to finish paining tomorrow morning, if it isn't raining. Then hopefully Sunday I can start putting it back together.

I also got the engine to run on it's own, sucking fuel from the tank and going through the carb. I think she'll be alive by the end of the weekend.

• Like 3

adsm08

VN2mmSv.jpg

oGVPP6f.jpg

Paint is dry, but not cured. With the weather today it should be cured by lunch time, but I have to leave around 11 for a wedding. My plan is to leave it sit out and sun bake, then start putting it together when I get home.

• Like 5

adsm08

EiBFQ5G.jpg

• Excellent 5

adsm08

No new pictures today, but I got the engine fully installed, and I took it for a little drive. Made it to the end of the driveway, lost the steering, lost the exhaust, and had to push it back.  Then I installed the forgotten cotter pins, and changed the oil.

I have devised a solution to the hood bushing issue. I dug through my fabrication bin and found a section of piping that fits the holes of the hood mounting horns perfectly. Tuesday when I get back to work I'm going to weld some nuts inside it, grease it up good, slap it in the horns, and bolt the hood to it. The idea is that the whole thing will pivot to open the hood. Then just a few more odds and ends to sort out like the kill switch, a battery (and box), and making the tires hold air (they might, I haven't tried yet), touch up the paint a bit here and there where it got scratched or chipped during assembly and I think we are Bigglerville bound.

The biggest thing to work out at the moment is the brake for the transmission pulley, so it can be shifted.  The brake is a little lever attached to the engine slide that comes back and stops the pulley when your clutch is disengaged. Mine is worn badly, and caused a lot of sparks without actually stopping the pulley. To get around this for the shakedown I grabbed my heavy leather lineman's glove that I used for the torch and just grabbed the bugger. I think my ultimate solution is going to be to replace the tab and either slip a piece of rubber hose over it, or maybe pick up a brake shoe from @rmaynard and glue a small piece of it on. Maybe use the hose as a stop-gap until I can get some real brake lining.

Edited by adsm08
  • Excellent 1

rmaynard

PM me with your address and I'll send you some cut-offs from my brake linings.

• Excellent 1

adsm08

Well, aside from finishing building a new battery box, because I ran out of material, and the trans brake, it is all together.

EvitYKj.jpg

QNv4ZeC.jpg

UtTFT6A.jpg

Here is what I did about the hood hinge:

17ChZIt.jpg

gq50siG.jpg

I dug through my engineering bin and found a piece of tubing that fit the holes perfect. Then I cut it to length and got some nuts welded in, dressed the ends, tapped the holes for any debris or rough threads, little grease on the ends, and BAM, it works perfectly.

One last touch:

pz7muLm.jpg

The big open hole was for the original shut-off. It was a momentary contact push-button, and this engine takes a while to stop spinning. Since I built this for my son, and I am planning on it being operated in at least a few situations where other people might be around, I didn't want to risk an accidental restart, so I opened up a hole on the other side of the dash for a toggle kill-switch. Just based on the way I expect this tractor to get used I think it's safer.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

adsm08

MxMUjyq.mp4

Make-shift tranny brake is working well enough. I glued a piece of rubber hose to the brake flag for now. It's not perfect, but it works.

Everything else works as intended as well. Kill switch is good, choke is stiff, but I think it's the angle I had to route it at. Engine seems a bit stiff as well, but it is breaking in again quickly.

He's really getting the hang of it too. He's always been a good driver, and I've had  him on power toys like PowerWheels and such since he was about 2. It's just the controls and what not.

Edited by adsm08
  • Like 3

adsm08

One last touch before leaving for the show tomorrow morning:

mCnykCx.jpg