adsm08

New Project

wildman

Great score.

• Like 1

953 nut

The Speedx Tractor Company was started by Harold Pond, brother of Elmer Pond who was the founder of Wheel Horse.

Wheel Horse started in Elmer Pond's garage in 1946. Mr. Pond started building two-wheel garden tractors using surplus parts. Within ten years, his business had become very successful and began to build a full line of lawn and garden tractors, in addition to riding lawn mowers.

This is a story that starts out way before the brand name "Pond" or "Wheel Horse." It starts out with the name "Shaw." Elmer Pond and his associates, Glen Hielman and Harold Pond worked for many years for Shaw making tractors. These tractors were produced out of motorcycle and automotive parts and were made for the bigger gardens and small orchards.

After a while the three men decided to build their own tractor and go into business for themselves. Harold Pond had worked for Shaw since the 1920’s and decided that he would make a tractor known as the Speedx Model "B," and Elmer began building Pond Garden Tractor in 1938, which would be one of the first four-, wheeled garden tractors later named Wheel Horse. Glen Hielman would make the "Garden Master"

in 1952.

So, your Spedex is a first cousin to the Wheel Horse.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

JoeM
14 hours ago, adsm08 said:

he wants to drop a blade with me

excellent! :handgestures-thumbup:

Over the years I have passed on a few of those X machines and now wish I would have got them. 

• Like 2

roadapples
4 hours ago, JoeM said:

Over the years I have passed on a few of those X machines and now wish I would have got them. 

Got an S19 that needs a new home...

• Like 1

JoeM
30 minutes ago, roadapples said:

Got an S19 that needs a new home...

I got to make some room first. I got  3 xi's in the way. Probably only need two. lol

I swore I would not tarp anymore and I am trying to hold myself to it. 

Throw a pic up tho

• Haha 2

adsm08

I got started on it a little bit today. I got the pedal and the lever off, steering is undone, but the wheel is still locked up tight. Seems that the shaft is stuck in the sleeve, not sure how I am going to fix that, since I'm not sure how the ring gear and horizontal shaft come out. Seems everything is welded.

For now I am spraying it and hoping the PB gets it moving at least a little.

Also, it seems the engine may be the same 8hp Briggs that's in my 800 Special. I am really eyeing the possibility of using parts from the 800 if I need an engine.

• Like 1

adsm08

Got some more done. The steering is apart, except for the seized shaft, and the steering wheel. It is really stuck, and I am starting to think heat may be needed to get it moving.

The steering wheel is in bad shape, and I think may get replaced with a custom unit. I'm thinking home-made chain-link.

• Like 1

D_Mac

That HomeMade tractor I picked up couple years ago was part Speedex. I believe the frame and rear end were Speedex.

20200420_163232rt.jpg

20200427_144618.jpg

• Like 1

adsm08

Yup, that frame looks a lot like the one I am working with.

The steering is being very stubborn. Heat is going to get involved soon.

• Like 1

adsm08

Steering wheel/shaft is free. Heat got involved.

I got the whole pipe cherry red, drove that sucker down with a 5lb mini-sledge, when spit grease in while it was still hot. That stuff came out about the viscosity of water, but the steering works now.

Got the engine out, took it outside and pressure washed the whole thing. Next is to get the gear box out, wheels and steering column off, then start to wire-wheel everything in prep for paint.

The battery box is going to have to be rebuilt as well, it is badly corroded, probably from acid.

• Like 1

adsm08

Clutch pedal came out of the tank tonight.

Right after removal:

2IAs59q.jpg

8byGiM3.jpg

After a minute with a wire brush:

7yCul5u.jpg

I'm going to take it to work tomorrow to finish inside the bore for the rod because I left all my little round brushes there. Then I will probably get yelled at after I bring it home and use the food saver to vacuum pack it until I am ready to paint it.

Edited by adsm08
  • Like 3

adsm08

I got part of the rear hitch/lift bracket done today. It is 2-piece, still needs to come apart to clean in between, and needs some TLC with a welder and a grinder to clean up a hill-billy repair.

768FXvC.jpg

• Like 1

adsm08

Update and picture dump!!!!!

Got the rusted, damaged grill replaced:

2AJjT6H.jpg

Painted flywheel cover and hood:

JBKtbe0.jpg

13Ei3Tw.jpg

eEJ0SJP.jpg

HPtcvXR.jpg

z5sb8ym.jpg

SByX9Hl.jpg

XfCRu4K.jpg

KWR9h3o.jpg

And a few other parts

Steering:

SRqt3N8.jpg

Et8KA8K.jpg

Other things:

lF7oGNy.jpg

The engine, and cover, are currently at work, for things....

Like new exhaust flanges:

fmp6ZP4.jpg

uuXzpB8.jpg

I'm going to weld some pipe to it to attach a stack muffler like I have on the 855.

The new coil showed up today, so I'm going to get that installed tomorrow when I get to work, and hopefully it will have spark. Once that's working making the engine run should be easy enough, just need to find an air filter. And a hinge pin for the hood. Looking at the pictures of when I brought it home I apparently never had the pins.

• Excellent 6

Blasterdad

Wow! great find! 

I have the same tractor, saving her for retirement project. There are ID numbers/letters stamped on the frame if you haven't found them yet, an internet search revealed a guy who claimed to have the records but wanted money to share them, so I'm sticking with "OLD" Lol. My steering tower was seized also, worked it with PB Blaster for a week & she finally worked free, replaced zerk fitting & greased her up. Speed is controlled with foot pedal/throttle, don't let it fool you, they are little torque monsters, with pedal all the way forward & locked it's a direct connection to to the posi rear end & nothong will stop it, pulled a small garden plow ONCE & did a huge wheelie, about flipped it. Forward locked is NOT your friend, gotta love the safety features of the day, LOL. Any questions hit me up! Great Father Son project!

IMG_0107.JPG

Edited by Blasterdad
wrong info
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 4

adsm08
5 hours ago, Blasterdad said:

Wow! great find! 

I have the same tractor, saving her for retirement project. There are ID numbers/letters stamped on the frame if you haven't found them yet, an internet search revealed a guy who claimed to have the records but wanted money to share them, so I'm sticking with "OLD" Lol. My steering tower was seized also, worked it with PB Blaster for a week & she finally worked free, replaced zerk fitting & greased her up. Speed is controlled with foot pedal/throttle, don't let it fool you, they are little torque monsters, with pedal all the way forward & locked it's a direct connection to to the posi rear end & nothong will stop it, pulled a small garden plow ONCE & did a huge wheelie, about flipped it. Forward locked is NOT your friend, gotta love the safety features of the day, LOL. Any questions hit me up! Great Father Son project!

IMG_0107.JPG

Mine has an actual throttle that yours seems to not have, although I can believe that locking the engine forward would be troublesome.

I'll have to play with it a bit once its back together, but my boy is a good driver, I'm sure he'll figure it out.

Ran out of work at the end of the day again today, so I played with it some more. We don't have any gasoline around, but I did get the engine to run on gum cutter for a few seconds. I'll get a bit of gas in it tonight at home and see if she'll stay running.

• Like 1

Blasterdad
2 hours ago, adsm08 said:

Mine has an actual throttle that yours seems to not have, although I can believe that locking the engine forward would be troublesome.

I

Mine has a throttle cable in the same place as yours, it's just not on it, it was all bent up & rusted so I took it off, if you look real  close at the pic you can see the two holes where it used to be. I found a running Briggs for it that's on it now, (same motor as original). I'm currently doing maintainance/restoring two decks at the moment, but when I'm done you've inspired me to dig her out & give her love, (I've had 2 new ag's in my shop for the front wheels for 4 years now, Lol). Keep up the good work! Looking good!  

• Like 1

adsm08
1 hour ago, Blasterdad said:

Mine has a throttle cable in the same place as yours, it's just not on it, it was all bent up & rusted so I took it off, if you look real  close at the pic you can see the two holes where it used to be. I found a running Briggs for it that's on it now, (same motor as original). I'm currently doing maintainance/restoring two decks at the moment, but when I'm done you've inspired me to dig her out & give her love, (I've had 2 new ag's in my shop for the front wheels for 4 years now, Lol). Keep up the good work! Looking good!  

Do you think you could get me some good pictures of the hood-hinge hardware?

I about went tearing my whole garage apart to look for it when I ran across this picture:

V1ur2lB.jpg

And now I'm almost certain I never had it.

• Like 1

Blasterdad

Not much to it, just a piece of sheet metal with tabs welded to it, the two long brackets bolt to the front motor mount bolts. I'm guessing they had bushings in them at one point...

I did find a killer Speedex site though, has all the manuals & exploded parts views for free, I'll see if I can post you the link...

IMG_0123.JPG

IMG_0124.JPG

• Like 1

adsm08
48 minutes ago, Blasterdad said:

Not much to it, just a piece of sheet metal with tabs welded to it, the two long brackets bolt to the front motor mount bolts. I'm guessing they had bushings in them at one point...

I did find a killer Speedex site though, has all the manuals & exploded parts views for free, I'll see if I can post you the link...

IMG_0123.JPG

IMG_0124.JPG

45 minutes ago, Blasterdad said:

I've been on that site, but it doesn't show what I want. Unfortunately neither did you pictures. I have the tabs still on the hood, I have the brackets on the engine. But something goes in between them to connect the two. That's what I'm missing.

If I can't find what hardware is supposed to attach the hood to those eyes I'm going to find a piece of round stock, drill and tap holes, and bolt the hood down.

• Like 1

Blasterdad

Mine just had rubber bushings in them with a steel sleeve in them that rotted away long ago, even with new ones it's a bad design, I like your Idea, I was going to do something similar, those brackets move side to side too easily... My hood is pretty well shot, I've got a WH parts hood I was thinking about chopping down, It'll be a "SpeedHorse" Lol. :eusa-think:

• Like 1

Monstrosity
On 9/18/2021 at 6:36 PM, adsm08 said:

My boy likes tractors, likes to play with tractors, and has been asking me to teach him to paint, and he wants to drop a blade with me when the snow hits. He also is a few years yet from really growing into the 800 Special that he has claimed as his own, so when I saw this sitting along the road for $100, I figured I couldn't go too wrong. It's a mess now, but we are going to restore it together.

Awesome! I was looking for one of these for that price but found the 1277 i scooped up for the same resaon hes a bit small for it himself right now but he'll grow right into it within the next year or so.

• Like 2

adsm08
7 hours ago, Blasterdad said:

Mine just had rubber bushings in them with a steel sleeve in them that rotted away long ago, even with new ones it's a bad design, I like your Idea, I was going to do something similar, those brackets move side to side too easily...

And that is the difference between and engineer and a mechanic.

The engineer draws it up, and says "Yeah, that should work, build it." The mechanic looks the parts over for a bit and says "Well if we do it this way that ain't going ANYWHERE."

I already gotta hit up TSC for dog food and blast sand today, I'll see what they have for round stock while I'm there.

• Like 2

Blasterdad

Found this YouTube video, you can see he just replaced the bushings & bolts on his, but it does show the back hood mount on top of the motor, mine didn't come with one so now I know what one looks like at least! :thumbs:

• Like 5