Bens vintage tractors

BDM garage.

Bens vintage tractors

6A299D40-3AAA-4EED-8CB4-35F3FCF9E899.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 3

JoeM

Good deal Ben!

Nice looking machines, and now I know If the hood is in the way of a Kohler V twin! (and now I am thinking, because I have had that in the back of my mind, might just poke a hole in the hood and use an external air cleaner.) 

:D

I am sure you have a boatload of untapped knowledge. 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, JoeM said:

Ben

Having met this fella in person at @JCM Jim's Meet n Greet recently Trina and I were both pretty impressed. 

Ben's a good dude. 

@Bens vintage tractors There's a thread where you can place your YT channel if ya like. 

• Excellent 1

Bens vintage tractors
5 hours ago, JoeM said:

Good deal Ben!

Nice looking machines, and now I know If the hood is in the way of a Kohler V twin! (and now I am thinking, because I have had that in the back of my mind, might just poke a hole in the hood and use an external air cleaner.) 

:D

I am sure you have a boatload of untapped knowledge. 

Bdmtractors@gmail.com email me with any questions I’m a veteran at swapping engines.

• Thanks 2

Bens vintage tractors
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Having met this fella in person at @JCM Jim's Meet n Greet recently Trina and I were both pretty impressed. 

Ben's a good dude. 

@Bens vintage tractors There's a thread where you can place your YT channel if ya like. 

Just posted a link.

• Thanks 1

CCW

Ok Ben - If I had to replace the engine on my 312-8 what engine should I get?

It's a 87 WH.

Edited by CCW

Bens vintage tractors
21 hours ago, CCW said:

It's a 87 WH.

Depends on what your doing with it. I’m a fan of the single cylinder diesels or a nice vtwin vanguard/Honda.

ebinmaine
On 9/18/2021 at 10:10 AM, Bens vintage tractors said:

Just posted a link.

Some good stuff on there. 

21 hours ago, CCW said:

It's a 87 WH.

It's very important to make sure the replacement engine has capability of taking a side load on the PTO if it's a manual. 

@richmondred01 does rebuilds. 

You could also call A to Z Tractor in PA for good used unit.  

Bens vintage tractors
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Some good stuff on there. 

It's very important to make sure the replacement engine has capability of taking a side load on the PTO if it's a manual. 

@richmondred01 does rebuilds. 

You could also call A to Z Tractor in PA for good used unit.  

That’s why I ask what he wants to do with it. Much easier to throw an engine into a machine that’s just gonna tow a cart around. But If your wanting to mow,till,snow blow you’ll need to be more selective so you can put the PTO on 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, Bens vintage tractors said:

That’s why I ask what he wants to do with it. Much easier to throw an engine into a machine that’s just gonna tow a cart around. But If your wanting to mow,till,snow blow you’ll need to be more selective so you can put the PTO on 

I figured that's what you were up to. 

:handgestures-thumbupright:

CCW

Currently my engine appears to be good shape.  Starts quick, no smoke, no oil leaks.  If I were going to replace it I would require the PTO side as well.  I just like to know what might be the best option and had never considered diesel.   

This tractor has always been garaged and is in good shape.  Only two issues that I can think of.  The shift boot kept coming loose and let water leak in.  This I have fixed and the transmission fluid has been replace twice in the past three years. (it never gets more than five to ten hours on it each year now).  I'll replace the fluid again in the spring (not used for snow).  Other issue is leaky rear axel seals.  These will be replace next spring as well.

It was used for mowing this summer as I was recovering from carpal tunnel surgery.  Now I am back to the regular mower.  I figure when I am too decrepit to walk behind the mower I will again use the WH to cut grass.

ccwpost

Handy Don
On 9/18/2021 at 1:26 AM, Bens vintage tractors said:

6A299D40-3AAA-4EED-8CB4-35F3FCF9E899.jpeg

At the Meet & Greet, I had a chance to shoot the breeze with Ben for a bit and look over this Yanmar re-power. It tucks in there real well. Had these been common in the 70's, they might even have been an option on new tractors!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

At the Meet & Greet, I had a chance to shoot the breeze with Ben for a bit and look over this Yanmar re-power. It tucks in there real well. Had these been common in the 70's, they might even have been an option on new tractors!

Agreed. That fit very well physically and aesthetically. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

Hey @Bens vintage tractors on post #3 here, what’s the cable between the floorboard and fender for?  

Bens vintage tractors
7 hours ago, Pullstart said:

Hey @Bens vintage tractors on post #3 here, what’s the cable between the floorboard and fender for?  

I race the off-road tractors. Those are to keep other machines from smashing into my legs lol. Nice piece of rebar bolted to the fender and footboard. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

AKA “door bars”. :handgestures-thumbupright: