Sparky

Electric fuel pump install.

Sparky

A friend has a 310-8 with a Kohler Magnum with a shot fuel pump. I’ve heard a lot of good “success” stories about the small low psi electric fuel pumps so I have decided that’s the way we are going. 
  Any tips on wiring it up? What wire does it tie into? Do we have a simple wiring diagram somewhere? 
  I did confirm this Mag 10 has the better 15a charging system and not the weaker 3a version.

Swiped a couple pics off a post I saw on FB of a possible pump brand and mounting location. 
  Thoughts?

Thanks!! 
BD9193F2-7CED-405F-8ED7-ECA2491A3BF7.png

81BA9719-97BB-4C72-ACA2-2921A41EE690.png

F9ACA53A-6238-4855-992E-24F8DE9BBB26.png

squonk

Sparks, I got 2 threads on it in electrical. I'm on my phone so cut and paste is sketchy. I hooked mine on my 953 right to the ign coil + and to ground. On my C160 with the puny switch contacts I wired in a relay to handle the electrical load.

• Like 1

squonk

Back on the PC!

• Like 2

WHX??

Any idea what the amp draw is Sparkeye?  Prolly not much more than a amp or 2. I would fuse it at the source anyway. 

Reports are they like to push rather than pull so closest to the tank or where it can get somewhat of a gravity feed might be best. Guessing once it gets primed wouldn't matter tho. 

squonk

@pfrederi has reported 1 to 2 amps I believe. I recorded 5 amps on my C160. I didn't want any more amps as necessary going through those crappy contacts in those 103990 key switch, hence the relay. Power from the ign. coil powers the relay coil. Then a fused feed from the battery to the relay to power the pump.

Edited by squonk

pfrederi

Posiflo are 1.5 amps they have a 3.5 amp internal fuse.

• Like 3

roadapples

Facet 1-2psi is what I use..

• Like 3

squonk

This is a picture of my Ammeter with the engine running. I'm not saying it's accurate but the pump has been running fine since 20131190012505_fpamps.jpg.028b0ccfe8af3aa3a9a7c814fa1eb87f.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

nylyon

I just did this yesterday after coming back from Stevebo’s. I got a cheap pump. Installed it under the seat area of my 416H, and wired it into the orange wire for the seat switch. This will work for the 416, but not sure about others. All I can say is wow, what a difference!  We should have talked more about it at Steve’s, @VinsRJ has a nice video about his install, where of course he did an amazing job.

I like the pump you posted, I think it will be a better fit, and probably better quality.

• Like 3

953 nut

I have run a wire from the fed to the Volt/hour meter on the 418-C. It is already fused at 15 amps and turns off when the key is off.

189739995_Screenshot(91).png.77fba57f042894486cba708aee98d180.png