Sign in to follow this  
HorseFixer

Scan Gauge Vehicle Computer

HorseFixer

Another item I use in my vehicle for the past two years on trips which helps when monitoring engine data and conditions is the Scan Gauge II OBDII onboard computer made by linear logic. The ScanGaugeII - The 3-in-one Automotive Computer is an extremely compact automotive computer designed to read and display information about your vehicle in real time.

Simply connect the ScanGaugeII to your vehicle through it's OBDII port using the included cable, turn the ignition key and the ScanGaugeII automatically connects to your cars internal computer - it's that simple. Read more about the Scan Gauge Scan Gauge Website Click Here

IMG_2006.jpg

IMG_3202.jpg

Features:

TRIP COMPUTER

Automatically tracks four sets of trip data - Each with 11 individually stored parameters.

Maximum Speed

Average Speed

Maximum Coolant Temperature

Maximum RPM

Driving Time

Driving Distance

Fuel Used

Trip Fuel Economy

Distance to Empty

Time to Empty

Fuel to Empty

DIGITAL GAUGES

Display 4 gauges at a time from the 12 built-in digital gauges. the information is presented in Real-time!

Fuel Economy

Fuel Rate

Battery Voltage

Transmission Temp

Engine Hp

Coolant Temperature

Intake Air Temperature

Engine Speed (RPM)

Vehicle speed (MPH)

Manifold Pressure (not available on some vehicles)

Engine Load

Throttle Position

Ignition Timing

Open/Closed Loop

SCAN TOOL

The ScanGaugeII allows you to troubleshoot your own car, read error codes, and the conditions present when the error occurred. You can also turn off the

KyBlue

7 mpg @ 129 MPH....dayum Duke... You're gonna loose all the horses out the back of the trailer @ that speed!!!! We're gonna see you on TV I know it...

'Crazed RV driver heading around Fort Wayne nearly takes out a small family on 469'

just kiddin bud!!!

See this is what I like about my Powerstroke, I can monitor that kinda stuff using my stock gauge cluster. Still a cool add on for the ole Stabbin Cabin

Jim_M

See this is what I like about my Powerstroke, I can monitor that kinda stuff using my stock gauge cluster. Still a cool add on for the ole Stabbin Cabin

Yup,

My Dodge is the same. I probably pay too much attention to the fuel mileage though, there's not much I can do about it anyway.

Oh well it gets better than 7 mpg, but I don't think it will hit 129 mph with a 3:73 rear end and 6 speed manual trans.

KyBlue

Yup,

My Dodge is the same. I probably pay too much attention to the fuel mileage though, there's not much I can do about it anyway.

Oh well it gets better than 7 mpg, but I don't think it will hit 129 mph with a 3:73 rear end and 6 speed manual trans.

You might be surprised.. lol

Course those Come-a-parts dont really like to Rev.

I was hauling my BBQ trailer back from Cinci sunday, was pushing 95 mph keepin up with one specific vehicle... truck wasnt even breathing hard. 2200 RPM @ 75 mph Redline is @ 4k .... Ive got alot of RPMs to go before it tops out.

Oh normal driving my mpg is around 20, add the trailer and all my BBQ stuff it plummets but not terrible.

Nick

Im not sure how accurate the readings are but the trans temp would be real nice when towing. But my truck isnt worth a gauge set. :thumbs2:

When I drive my brothers F-450 diesel with 4.88 gears it spinning some RPMs at at 75. :thumbs:

HorseFixer

See this is what I like about my Powerstroke, I can monitor that kinda stuff using my stock gauge cluster.

Here is a pic of my Scan Gauge installed in the Stabbin Cabin. Scotty You have a Gauge Cluster That Reads Gallons Per Hr, Tranny Fluid Temp, Horsepower, Engine Torque, and the other 30 gauges that this thing does? :thumbs2: Ford must have it going on! :thumbs:

2009WHSHOW054.jpg

KyBlue

Here is a pic of my Scan Gauge installed in the Stabbin Cabin. Scotty You have a Gauge Cluster That Reads Gallons Per Hr, Tranny Fluid Temp, Horsepower, Engine Torque, and the other 30 gauges that this thing does? :thumbs2: Ford must have it going on! :thumbs:

2009WHSHOW054.jpg

Sorry duke, no gadget is gonna read HP or Torque, and chances are its not giving you a tranny temp either... Unless of course Youve installed a temp sensor for it to read...

Sorry Duke, but thats one of those ' gadgets' that I can do without. :ychain:

HorseFixer

Sorry duke, no gadget is gonna read HP or Torque, and chances are its not giving you a tranny temp either... Unless of course Youve installed a temp sensor for it to read...

Uhhhh Scotty :thumbs2: The Scan Gauge Interfaces with the Vehicles OBDII Computer and reads information from that! Its reading all the information that the vehicles on board computer sends. The Scan Gauge does the same thing as a $4000.00 Snap on Scanner. I have checked all funtions against my Mechanic Buddys High Dollar $$$ Snap On scanner and it reads 100% accurate!

I have reset and read many fault codes and have been sucessful & repaired my vehicle by replacing the correct part from the fault codes I have read. :ychain:

If you say the Scan Gauge is not correct then that's because the vehicles computer or sensors are incorrect which in most cases I highly doubt.

As far as the gas milage accuracy? :thumbs: It's damn close! Read what these gas milage gurus have to say about it! GAS GURUS HERE

I have a mechanic Bud who likes its so much he got one for each one of his mechanics and wouldn't be without it! :ROTF: Personally this is one Instrument I wouldn't be without!

KyBlue

Uhhhh Scotty :thumbs2: The Scan Gauge Interfaces with the Vehicles OBDII Computer and reads information from that! Its reading all the information that the vehicles on board computer sends. The Scan Gauge does the same thing as a $4000.00 Snap on Scanner. I have checked all funtions against my Mechanic Buddys High Dollar $$$ Snap On scanner and it reads 100% accurate!

I have reset and read many fault codes and have been sucessful & repaired my vehicle by replacing the correct part from the fault codes I have read. :ychain:

If you say the Scan Gauge is not correct then that's because the vehicles computer or sensors are incorrect which in most cases I highly doubt.

As far as the gas milage accuracy? :thumbs: It's damn close! Read what these gas milage gurus have to say about it! GAS GURUS HERE

I have a mechanic Bud who likes its so much he got one for each one of his mechanics and wouldn't be without it! :ROTF: Personally this is one Instrument I wouldn't be without!

Yeah duke I realize that. Howver, the last time I was working on a OBDII Setup... They didnt have tranny Temp Sensors! Which means Its a Guess....

Your fuel mileage... It can figure it out. Simply by monitoring the Flow going to the motor. Its still a 'guess'

As to the HP and Torque... that takes a Dynomometer... Either Chassis or Engine depending wether you want to measure the loss off the driveline.

the only GOOD thing I see about this thing, is it reading and clearing the codes, but since I can grab one of those high dollar Snap On Scanners when I need, or if you dont have access to one, take it to advance or autozone, they'll pull the codes for you...

oldandred

all them gadgets I just fill it up and go aint nothing i can do about the gpm when youre pulling the weigh Im pulling petal to the metal and go

Jim_M

This may be a stupid question but I'll ask it anyway.

Why do you need to know the present horsepower, torque and fuel consumption in gph while you're going down the road in a camper?

Am I missing something?

Nick

I looked into similar gauge sets a while back. For me knowing actual MPG would just be interesting. You might also be able to find a sweet spot for fuel millage that could save some gas over the long haul. Having extra gauges, like the trans temp, could help keep things in a safe range when towing. That and the error code reading and it sounds like a handy gadget for $160.

What I really was tempted to get was a computer programmer that has all the digital gauges of the Scan Gauge II but also does computer engine tuning. The only down side is they start around $350 and go up from there. The Edge and SCT are a couple good units.

There is an OBD II temp reading from the transmission but Im not sure how accurate it is meant to be. I didnt see any accuracy specs listed on a gauge set but it should be close enough to let a driver know things are getting hotter. :thumbs2:

Forgot this: Noticed from the ad on this page that JC Whitney has the Scan gauge II for $159 but also has free shipping and 10% off right now so it would only be around $144.

HorseFixer

This may be a stupid question but I'll ask it anyway.

Why do you need to know the present horsepower, torque and fuel consumption in gph while you're going down the road in a camper?

Am I missing something?

Scott the reason is for instance GM & Ford have had Tranny Temp for years and never told anyone. Linear Logic figured that out and added it and other gauges as an X Gauge (you can add them if you want)! Canadian vehicles have even more capabilities than US? :thumbs2:

Jim ~ The ones you mentioned torque an HP Yer right do not used them that often but its nice to know what yer vehicle is doing as a refrence. There is many others that can be utilized. All im saying is this goes far beyond the gauges on yer dash!

Now have you ever used a lil Accetone and Zylene Cocktail in yer tank befor fill up? I know Scotty says he has.. There is improved milage.. Yeah Yeah the guys from mythbusters says it doesn't work..... Well they are full of chit... What do you expect them to say? :thumbs:

With a scan gauge you can test what works and what doesn't.

Jim_M

Here's a gauge that I find pretty handy.

BullShitMeter.jpg

wh500special

Now have you ever used a lil Accetone and Zylene Cocktail in yer tank befor fill up?

To each their own, but I wouldn't do that in any of my vehicles (of course I don't have any diesels other than my tractors).

Modern diesels are not as tolerant of wierd fuels as the older, simpler, higher emission engines. While the Acetone and Xylene will burn in there in limited amounts you really run the risk of soluablizing gunk and schmutz in the tank and lines and drawing it into the fuel filter (inconvenience) or the injection pump (disaster).

I've heard various theories of why these lightweight hydrocarbons can improve efficiency, but I've not bought into many of them. The energy you get from burning fuel in the engine comes from breaking all the chemical bonds within a given molecule. Putting less bond-rich compounds in the tank might change the combustion dynamics, but it actually decreases the net energy available in the tank.

I have no way to verify this since all the claims I've seen about the Acetone/Benzene/Toluene/Ethylbenzene/Xylene/gasoline and mothballs were made by people who expected to see an improvement and probably adjusted their driving habits to optimize their economy whether knowingly or not. And I can guarantee you that diesel fuel (and gasoline) already has such a wide mixture of compounds in it that you'd be hard pressed to make much of a difference in it's net energy density by modest additions of random chemicals since it is - essentially - a mixture of random chemicals. (OK, it's not a random mixture but there is no chemical called diesel fuel...it's a bunch of things mixed together).

Stick with pump grade fuels, avoid the use of additives, and leave your engine in its factory state of tune if you want the best tradeooffs of durability, reliability, and performance. You're going to have to work awefully hard to beat the engineers and mechanics at Navistar, Cummins, or Isuzu at their own games.

Monitoring things with a scan gage can be useful in optimizing certain aspects of the performance of your vehicle mostly because you can make instantaneous mental notes of how certain behaviors impact your performance criteria. I see some definate merit in the transmission temperature display.

I suspect it calculates HP based on fuel consumption rate since they are directly proportional. Likewise torque is likely derived from HP and RPM since in absense of a load cell in the driveline or a torque arm on the engine you can't measure it while on the fly.

While it has "useless gadget" written all over it to some guys, I think these things do have merit for monitoring things you can control (like fuel economy). The other info it provides is mostly overkill...but who's to argue that overkill is a bad thing when most of us here have way more tractors than we can possibly ever need?

Jim, I have one of those gauges like you showed on me at all times. My wife bought it for me. But it must be broken because the needle never moves from it's resting spot on the far right.... :thumbs2: What gives? :thumbs:

getting a shovel,

Steve

Jim_M

Jim, I have one of those gauges like you showed on me at all times. My wife bought it for me. But it must be broken because the needle never moves from it's resting spot on the far right.... :ychain: What gives? :thumbs:

getting a shovel,

Steve

Steve,

Maybe it's the company you keep. :thumbs2:

Jim

HorseFixer

Here's a gauge that I find pretty handy.

BullShitMeter.jpg

Jim ~ Good! Glad yer finding success with it! :thumbs2:

Steve ~ I'm talking for Gasoline not Diesel engines.

wh500special

Steve,

Maybe it's the company you keep. :thumbs2:

Jim

:thumbs: You're probably right. I usually notice it when I'm looking in the mirror though in the morning. Still wonder if it isn't broken!

Steve

wh500special

Steve ~ I'm talking for Gasoline not Diesel engines.

Whoops, my mistake. :thumbs2:

I've heard the acetone in the the diesel fuel trick for years. Guys make all kinds of claims of enormous efficiency gains with just a little spike to the fuel tank. So I just assumed that's (diesel) what you meant when you mentioned it and Scott's truck.

I still find the claims questionable though. Especially with the Xylene. There is already quite a bit of benzene in gasoline (gasoline is the favorite dumping ground for 6-10 carbon containing compounds in a petroleum refinery) which is chemically very similar to xylene. If there were serious improvments to fuel economy to be made by reblending the relative amounts of ingredients used in the gasoline mixture the oil companies would already be doing it.

Acetone isn't too bad for you health-wise, but it has been linked to liver problems and absorbs readily thru the skin. becuase it can exhibit some water-like properties due to it's shape and polarity it can actually react, dissolve, and combine with both organic and water-based molecules. That's a good thing for a solvent, but not a great thing to be putting in a gas tank since it will pull the moisture from the tank up into the engine along with other polar compounds that might be stuck in there but won't be dissolved by the other things in gasoline.

My guess on why Acetone might improve combustion has to do with the fact that it is carrying along an Oxygen atom with it. Sort of like alcohols (Ethanol) and ethers (MTBE) do. But being less energy dense it doesn't seem like it would contribute to fuel economy improvements.

Xylene is nasty stuff. Some people call it Xylol. Like Benzene and the other BTEX family members it is one of those things that is a known carcinogen.

Again, it is going to be really hard to beat the oil refiners and engine manufacturers at their own game. But if making these small additions of "dicers" builds your confidence you certainly can give them a try.

Have fun and safe travels,

Steve

HorseFixer

Its getting harder to mess with the fuel they are producing today and obtain better fuel mileage. The fuel you buy today is nothing like the fuel in the 70's and 80's. You used to be able to readily vaporize fuel and get over in many cases 100 mpg in some larger V8 engines but they have now changed the composition to where that is near impossible! They also now add ethynol which gets less mpg and does all kinds of terrible things and draws moisture in the fuel. It also makes accetone and zylene less effective :thumbs2: Back in the early 90's I had a friend who went to a seminar on 100+ mpg carburators. They had different plans that people had developed and I built one called a Ney Box which in essence had a false bottom and you put your radiator fluid 195deg thru the false bottom of this box there was a fuel rail that sprayed fuel down on this hot surface and it vaporized air entered the box and out into the carburator intake (Reg Carb Fuel Line Was Shut Off) I drove the vehicle for two day and got 76mpg on an E-250 van with a 350 ford windsor engine! The reason I didn't use it longer? Damn bottom ruptured in the box and radiator fluid everywhere. At that time 18 years ago that was my daily driver and I couldnt afford to muck op my vehicle! I will post pictures later of this contraption if I can find them. All I can say is if a dumb azz like me can do it! Why cant the engineers at Ford GM Crysler do it? The Answer: They can, but they dont want to, cause they are bought off by the oil companies!

wh500special

Duke,

Sounds like you're :thumbs2:

Have a great trip to PA and a great time at the show. Be sure to bring back something for me!

Steve

HorseFixer

Duke,

Sounds like you're :thumbs2:

Have a great trip to PA and a great time at the show. Be sure to bring back something for me!

Steve

Ill bring ya back a Dash Plaque! :thumbs: