Mike'sHorseBarn

Vacuum Fuel Pump Issues on 857

Mike'sHorseBarn

Good Morning Everyone,

Went to load up for a tractor show yesterday and when I checked the oil in it, I noticed it had gas in it. That's odd considering I just put a rebuild kit from then and now auto in it and I don't know what else would be leaking gas into the crankcase. I did notice that the new diaphragm seemed a little thin and that it seeped around the edges, but would that cause a lot of gas to leak into the oil? I'm a little confused on this one......:confusion-shrug:

pfrederi

Yes it will pump gas into the crankcase....Are you sure it was the correct diaphragm for your pump.  There are different styles...

Mike'sHorseBarn

Yea, it is a vacuum pump which is just a straight diaphragm with no metal arm in the middle. The pump itself has no arms that rides on the cam.

Mike'sHorseBarn
6 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Yes it will pump gas into the crankcase....Are you sure it was the correct diaphragm for your pump.  There are different styles...

this is the kit i needed for it

https://www.then-now-auto.com/product/ac-4s-vac-kohler-vacuum-pump-kit/

pfrederi

Then either kit was faulty or not installed correctly.  Vacuum pumps can put gas in crankcase just like the mechanical ones.  (why I only replace with electric now)  A leaky float valve you would have gas running out the front of the carb

Edited by pfrederi
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

Sounds like the pump has to come back apart for for inspection of that diaphragm Mike. Maybe torn somehow or just a bad one?  I've got a few pulse pumps and got the diaphragm from @buckrancher with no issues. The check valves cleaned up well enough for me as those he doesn't have. Nice to know then now has the full kits but with the rash of pump issues I been having lately Paul's way is lookin better and better. If I wasn't so stuck on staying original! 

Mike'sHorseBarn
2 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Sounds like the pump has to come back apart for for inspection of that diaphragm Mike. Maybe torn somehow or just a bad one?  I've got a few pulse pumps and got the diaphragm from @buckrancher with no issues. The check valves cleaned up well enough for me as those he doesn't have. Nice to know then now has the full kits but with the rash of pump issues I been having lately Paul's way is lookin better and better. If I wasn't so stuck on staying original! 

I know, I'm trying to stay as original as possible. M check valves were in good shape, but if I had to bet, when I take this thing apart that diaphragm is probably torn. I was thinking it was too thin when I put it in. The thing is I those kits in 3 tractors and all three have gas in the oil so there has to be some kind of issue. Wonder if @buckrancher has any more diaphragms? I'm thinking that is what the issue is.

WHX??

Let then now know what issues you find. the only thing that can cause these is a torn/bad diaphragm. I wouldn think a little seepage to the out side would cause it? 

Here's what's odd from their site..... 

are made right here in our shop using diaphragm material made to withstand the high alcohol content of today’s fuels

squonk

Sometimes staying original is more trouble than it's worth. Leaking gas into a crankcase= not good

Leaking sediment bowl onto a battery = not gooder! 

• Excellent 2

Mike'sHorseBarn
3 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Then either kit was faulty or not installed correctly.  Vacuum pumps can put gas in crankcase just like the mechanical ones.  (why I only replace with electric now)  A leaky float valve you would have gas running out the front of the carb

What kind of electric pump do you use?

WHX??

The only one I have used Mike was a cheapy like this on a neighbors CC ZT that I did a motor swap on. That was a couple of years ago and I still see him using it so it must be working yet. Wired it right to the bowl solenoid and ground. Guessing he has pushed at leas 50 gallons with it so far. 

The only other one I have on a worker is on the 520 I got from Denny Clarke. When you hit the key and the clicking noise slows you know she shot gas to the carb and she fires right up unlike my other 520s that lose their prime. 

Edited by WHX??

pfrederi
2 hours ago, Mike'sHorseBarn said:

What kind of electric pump do you use?

Facet Posiflo  I have used the 4psi and 2 psi   about $39  Made in USA no failures I have 4 now...my $10 cheapie died after a few hours use.

pump.JPG

• Excellent 2