Mike in NC

How are the Members from the Mid-Atlantic/Northesat?

Mike in NC

I was wondering if any of the members here were affected by the latest hurricane? I know that SE PA (Chester County for sure) was hit very hard, as that is where I was born and raised. In that part, towns were flooded, bridges damaged, even one historic covered bridge was washed away, homes destroyed. Just wanting to see if everyone is ok.

CCW

I live in central CT and watching the hurricane tracker the eye went right over my town.  High winds and lots of rain, but few lost power.  Some street flooding. Fortunately I had a sugar maple removed this past spring that would have landed on my kitchen roof, but in the end it was mostly a non event for me.

• Like 1

lynnmor

I live in York County, PA and the storm wasn't too bad here.  We had a two hour power outage, rain heavy at times, but not much wind.  For me it wasn't a big deal, for others not far away it was a nasty storm.

• Like 1

Darb1964

We got four to five inches of rain on top of a summer of record rain in the Berkshires of Massachusetts. There was some roads washed out and basement flooding, overall we dodged a bullet. Looks like second cut hay is not going to happen for a lot of us, the field's are supper saturated. My garden finally started to produce in August, not like most years but we ended up doing ok. I talked to people that had great gardens and others that had complete failure. It was a summer unlike any I remembered in my Fifty seven years.

• Like 1

Handy Don

5.25" of rain in about 5 hours but with little wind and no power interruptions. Folks on the other side of the county in the more built up areas fared much worse. Our hillside location overlooking the Hudson River had no flooding but the street moved a lot of water! 

This summer has seen somewhat above average rainfall and our garden did quite well--as did the weeds! The flowerbeds attracted more Monarchs and other butterflies and more bees than we've seen recently, which we appreciated.

• Like 1

Mike in NC

Here are a few pictures that I have found online from my home town. Before and after of the covered bridge. There was another covered bridge that was damaged also. This area had between 7 and 10 inches or rain, depending on where you were. My sisters house, that is about 12 to 14 miles from my home town had a little over 10 inches of rain.

240970530_2424765224323194_9137509796045332958_n.jpg

240137735_2424765274323189_5396362081467149481_n.jpg

198608062_10214745122939990_5939064412921512788_n.jpg

240880978_5037244582957966_1336391106858489380_n.jpg

safe_image.jpg

Edited by Mike in NC
  • Sad 3

Handy Don
1 minute ago, Mike in NC said:

Here are a few pictures that I have found online from my home town. Before and after of the covered bridge. There was another covered bridge that was damaged also. 

240137735_2424765274323189_5396362081467149481_n.jpg

Sad to see that bridge ruined. They aren't all that practical these days, but they are great reminders of how people in the past approached and solved the dual problem of getting across the river and having the bridge be protected from the elements. Looks like trees floating downstream took it out. I hope it'll get replaced!

• Like 1

Jeff-C175

The Joisey Shaw was pretty much spared.  We did get a lot of rain, about 5" or so, but little or no flooding.  The whole shore area was to the East of the major rain.  Nawt Joisey got absolutely HAMMERED with flooding and damage.

My neighbor works as maintenance guy for a major chain of coffee stores in the North Jersey area.  His company diverted all their teams to help the people up there. 

I donated my 'trash pump' to the cause.  Haven't used it in many years but he and I were able to get it going in about an hour or so.  Last report I heard is that it pumped out over a dozen basements already!

• Like 4

Mike in NC

Jeff, glad to hear that some of the area did not get hard.

I am not going to lie, I read your first line with a Joisey accent!!! haha

• Thanks 1

SPINJIM

Oxford, PA had about 9" of rain, and a tornado touch-down 2 miles from my home.   The clouds got so dark, it seemed like 8 PM at night, but it was only 4 PM.  The 'Super Cell' went over my house, the rain got heavier, but the wind stopped.  Then the funnel cloud came down a few minutes later and 2 miles up the road.  Scary.  We headed for the basement.  Flooded roads and trees down across the highways.  Good day to stay home and watch the radar reports.  I think that the covered bridge across the Octorara survived, but it was close.  We can all talk about the causes, but no one should deny global warming.  More 90+ degree days here this year than ever in recorded history.   I feel like I'm living in the tropics.

Jim

• Like 1

Mike in NC

Jim, Glad to hear that you did not get hit too hard.

Did the tornado touch down in one of the "newer" housing developments off of Little Elk Creek Road near Elk Ridge Road? If so, I know the area. A friend of my wife grew up on Little Elk Creek road, before you go down the hill and across the little bridge. I saw a picture of Rt. 1 and it looked real bad.

The covered bridge that didn't make it is the Rudolf Arthur Covered Bridge (circa 1880) on Camp Bonsai Road in Lincoln University, PA.

I grew up just outside Downingtown and they were hit HARD!  My wife was raised in Nottingham. 

Edited by Mike in NC
  • Like 1

SPINJIM

It was the approx. 20 year old development of nice homes near Elk Creek Rd. and Glendale Rd.   We had looked there when we were shopping for a home.   Nine homes seriously damaged, a few had to be condemned.  I'm in East Nottingham, just outside of Oxford.

Jim

• Like 1