8ntruck

Horse #2 hydro questions

8ntruck

I am waiting on fuel and electrical system parts, so I started chasing down the slow forward speed of the C 195 I brought home last Saturday.  It travels forward at about the same rate as an 8 speed horse in high range 1st gear.  The book says it should go somewhere between 5 & 6 mph. 

Hoping that a control linkage issue is causing the slowness, I pulled off the tunnel cover and seat pan today to take a look at the hydro linkage.  The motion control lever feels like it is binding somewhere.  The following pictures are of the motion control lever and cam in 'full forward':

20210826_183057.jpg.1b125832e181f85310c5c710aec0aa8d.jpg

20210826_183022.jpg.56c5b3f1af6f33efb559a9e5609e257b.jpg

These pictures are of the lever and cam in 'full reverse':

20210826_183048.jpg.4028c4778e1334e2a291477dae550ad7.jpg

20210826_183033.jpg.7bf643434f6fd2b6aa5b7cc245f5f39f.jpg

In both cases there is more motion to be had in the cam.  In fact, when I disconnect the heim joint from the motion control lever, the cam rotates the full length of the slot.

I am assuming that normal operation would use the full length of the slot.  Correct? I know somebody out there can tell me.

This is the first hydro tractor I've worked on so I don't know what 'normal' for them is. 

The plan for tomorrow is to dig further into the tunnel and see what the motion control lever is binding on.

Thanks.

kpinnc

We are having the same issues. My 520-H is a combination of the best parts of two machines. One had an "Onan in a cardboard box" when I got it, and the other had a tranny that was neglected to the point of failure by the previous owner. 

Since moving the Onan and tower over to the tractor with the good tranny, it has gotten slower and slower. Best I can tell, something has become loose between the control lever and the cam. I can see the previous marks on the cam where it used to move to. Full forward amd reverse now is far less than before. The majority of the movememt in the lever produces no forward or reverse. Just a big slop in the middle.

None of the adjustable parts of the linkages are loose. I have the feeling that the play is a result of bushings or slop due to wallowed out parts. Annoying, but much better than the Eaton going south.

Looks like you're seeing similar issues. 

IMG_20200910_225750943.jpg

Edited by kpinnc

8ntruck

:text-yeahthat:  Well, @kpinnc, grab some popcorn and ride along.  I'll continue to post about what I try, and, hopefully, what solves the problem.

I was reading the owner's manual about brake adjustment.  The brake linkage is interconnected with the motion lever on my tractor.  Probably is on yours as well.  This interconnection provides a bunch more wear and binding points to gum things up.  As I stated above, the side covers are coming off tomorrow so I can get a better look at what is going on.  Since my tractor has not run in almost 20 years, it would not surprise me to find dirt/crud/rust not letting things operate as they should.

• Like 1

kpinnc

I'm considering just converting mine to foot controlled. Less parts to deal with, and easier I think to hold speed than just a friction setting.

Have to figure it out one way or the other...

Pullstart

Full reverse image rotated for similar vantage point…

D2A802EC-3C31-4F39-87B7-94A1B7BFEFFE.jpeg

9AFEF89C-699C-4A3C-BAA2-5F3FF328C856.jpeg

Skipper

Yes, it is supposed to utilize the full length of the slot.

8ntruck
3 hours ago, Skipper said:

Yes, it is supposed to utilize the full length of the slot.

Thought so.  

Thanks.

8ntruck

I took the side covers and gas tank off this afternoon.  Turns out that the brake pedal rod is not retracting to the rear of the tractor far enough.  This blocks the motion lever from travelling fully forward.  Seems like the brake return spring is too long.

I'll disassemble the brake linkage clean, lube, reassemble, and adjust tomorrow.

Guess this will closeout this thread in the transmission section of the forum.

Thanks.

8ntruck

I put penetrating oil on all of the pivoting and sliding joints in the brake linkage/motion control interlock.

Works like it should now.

• Excellent 1

kpinnc
5 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Works like it should now.

Awesome! :greetings-clappingyellow: