8ntruck

Horse #2

8ntruck
On 8/25/2021 at 1:52 AM, Maxwell-8 said:

great find, not even a broken plastic fender!

Actually, there is a 3" crack out of the corner of the notch for the front and rear hydraulic lift controls.

A fiberglass or carbon fiber patch on the back side should fix that.

I found some different fittings for the fuel pump today, so I installed them.  Looks much better now.

Poured 1/2 gallon of white vinegar in the gas tank and am letting it soak overnight.  I'll drain the tank tomorrow, then put the other 1/2 gallon of vinegar and some 1/4-20 nuts and bolts in and agetate.  We will see what kind of crud comes out.  No, the gas tank is NOT connected to the tractor or engine.....

Picked up a new gas cap at the Toro dealer today.  Not exact, but close enough to get the job done.  Cheaper than those on line, too.

Curious thing about the left front tire.  It held air for about a week.  It is currently parked with the area that was flat in contact with the ground while it was sitting unused.  That tire leaks down in about 30 hours now.  I wonder if the tire position and leak rate are dependant on each other.  I'll have to rotate it next time I air it up to see.  Eventually, I will tube the tire.

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Like 1

8ntruck

Did some crud removal on the seat bracket:

20210903_153640.jpg.3cc279e898f75dbc489fbc9f551ce75c.jpg

Kind of quick and dirty - wire brush on the angle grinder, Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer, then Rustoleum XX Saten black.

Soaked the gas tank with vinegar, then agitated with nuts & bolts, drained, and rinsed with water.  Set out in the sun to dry.

Got it all back together today - new electric fuel pump, quick clean on the carb, new set of plugs, new fuel lines and filter.  
It is not starting as easily as it was, but runs OK.  The carb is not quite right.  Really rich at idle and stumbles on throttle up.  Once up to speed, the governor is keeping the RPM steady.  Matt installed an I Save Tractors carb on it to get it running.  The choke lever does not match up with the choke cable, so that might be part of the start up issue.  I have the in line filter ahead of the fuel filter, mounted horizontally.  That might be interfering with the fuel flow to the pump.  I'll try moving the filter back to the shut off valve at the fuel pump.

Driving around my property for a bit, I found that the cleaning and lubrication of the motion control linkage has restored the full range of speed, and the brake pedal is working as it should.  This is the first hydrostatic tractor I've driven.  Moving the motion control lever to make the tractor go takes a little getting used to.  I have not done the 'put it against something solid and see if it spins the wheels' test yet.  Maybe tomorrow?

Still have wiring to sort, have another look at the carb, engine cooling fins to clean, transmission oil and filter to change, PTO clutch to fix, a mid mount to find pieces for, and finding out why the clutch linkage on the main drive belt does not lock in the off position.

Looks like there will be a little wood hauling work to do tomorrow to get some run time under a light load.

I also shuffled the shed a little to be able to fit the C-195 in with the 14-8.  It rained tonight.  This is the first time in almost 20 years that the C-195 had shelter from it.

I pointed out to my wife that a new seat is in the neighborhood of $100 and that if she could could stitch up a new cover, we would save a bit of money.  She didn't bite, since she has her own projects to work on and her sewing time is worth more to her than the cost of a new seat.

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Like 1

ebinmaine

Great to see the ole girl up and cookin' again!

Don't get working it too much until the engine and transmission cooling is cleaned well. 

Your carb issue may a floating gunk thing or may be the carb itself. I have had zero for three good experiences with aftermarket carbs though lots of folks here use them with good results. 

Keep us posted!!!

👍👍👍

Handy Don
11 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Moving the motion control lever to make the tractor go takes a little getting used to

On my first hydro I kept stepping on the brake to stop and then expecting it to move again when I released the pedal. Duh, NOT a clutch/brake like the 310-8!

8ntruck
37 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

On my first hydro I kept stepping on the brake to stop and then expecting it to move again when I released the pedal. Duh, NOT a clutch/brake like the 310-8!

I know that feeling.  My 14-8 has a clutch/brake.  Ease off of the brake after a stop, and nothing happens on the hydro.  

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Like 1

8ntruck
On 9/2/2021 at 5:12 AM, AMC RULES said:

NAPA GOLD 1410 HYDRAULIC OIL FILTER MINT NEW IN BOX,,,, FREE SHIPPING, |  eBay

I picked one of these.  Man, NAPA $$ure proud of those.

8ntruck

I picked one of these up.  Man, NAPA $$ure is proud of those.

8ntruck

8ntruck

Sorry about the multiple posts.  My tablet sneezed and din not acknowledge the post.

• Haha 2

ebinmaine
57 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

The WIX part is available on different sites for around 13 to 15 bucks. 

Depending on where you prefer to shop and if you can combine orders you can get free freight too. 

AMC RULES

Think mine was $12 there at the counter, cash and carry.

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

Think mine was $12 there at the counter, cash and carry.

They're $17.50 or so here.  

8ntruck

Gave the C-195 a light trailer workout hauling some wood to the neighbor's across the street.  There is a pretty good grade going down to the lakefront lawn.  Was interesting learning about how the brake and hydro interact there.  No problem going up the hill with the motion control at the forward stop.  The engine got into the governor a little bit there. 

20210908_154257.jpg.c4e11384170118fb0068bbf78be537c2.jpg

I sure like the exhaust note of the KT19.

The tractor started much easier today than a couple days ago.  Still having issues with the chole.  I have it disconnected from the choke cable, and am using it manually.  It feels like there is a ball detent or something on the choke shaft to keep it in the off position.  Probably going to end up making up a secondary lever that will be friendly with the choke cable and bolt it on on to the lever on the choke shaft.

Does anybody have a picture of an original choke linkage on a KT 19?  I imagine that the KT 17 would have the same choke linkage set up.

Still rich at idle, and I need to take another pass at the main jet needle, as I think it is rich there as well.

I added air the other day to the left front tire.  The part of the tire that was flat while the tractor was sitting for years (decades?) was not on the bottom when I parked the tractor.  The tire is still leaking, but it was not all the way down after a couple of days.  Last week when the tractor was parked with the old flat spot down, that tire would leak all the way down over night.

Anybody think it needs a name?  I'm open for ideas.

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Like 1

ebinmaine
22 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

name

Ours tend to "name themselves".  

Handy Don
11 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Anybody think it needs a name?  I'm open for ideas

Dojobber

• Like 1

peter lena

@8ntruck  very good recovery work on that !  you are all over it , as you have to be , suggestion , while you are on those engine mount bolts , add a  4 ga  battery cable  to rear corner of engine to frame , then up to the battery ground cowl area mount point , used serrated washers and dielectric grease at mount points . this simple addition will really help out your  electrical delivery to dash starting point ,  since adding this to my  3 horses , no starting issues  at all , pete

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, peter lena said:

battery cable

Excellent idea.

Extra grounds is something I do to all the tractors I rewire now.

• Like 1

peter lena

@8ntruck  very good recovery work on that !  you are all over it , as you have to be , suggestion , while you are on those engine mount bolts , add a  4 ga  battery cable  to rear corner of engine to frame , then up to the battery ground cowl area mount point , used serrated washers and dielectric grease at mount points . this simple addition will really help out your  electrical delivery to dash starting point ,  since adding this to my  3 horses , no starting issues  at all , pete

peter lena

@ebinmaine , even go so far as to , add a  pigtail ground to , ignition cooling shield mounts. dielectric grease all mounting bolts / screws , just makes issues go away , pete

• Excellent 1

ohiofarmer

Name?? How about Lazarus? pretty much raised from the dead....

8ntruck

I've been using the C-195 for trailer work recently.  It has been doing OK, with minor issues, like a funky choke linkage, assorted rattles, and the most worry some, intermittent smoking - oil smoke.

Today, I started it up, but could not find a happy choke setting.  As I was parking it, I shut the electric fuel pump off while the engine was still running.  To my surprise, the engine cleaned up and ran much better.  This suggests that I have a float valve issue going on.  Into the carb again.  Will work on the choke linkage while I am there.  Will check the oil level again, thinking that the fuel pump might be pumping past the carband getting into the oil.

I got a hand full of parts to get the main drive belt clutch working properly.  Should get rid of one of the rattles, too.  

@ohiofarmer I like the name suggestion.  I'll see if it sticks.  As others have pointed out, the tractor will come up with its own name.

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Like 1