TJ5208

Diff lock

stevasaurus

That is the thing...the 10 pinion already does what you want.  To check, put your Raider front end up against a fence post or tree.  Use 1st gear and let the clutch out slowly, both tires should turn forward and dig in the grass.  If this is so, you have a good 10 pinion LS transmission.  If not, you just may need a new spring in between the pinions.  Lowell, at WheelHorseparetsandmore sells them.  He is a vendor in the vendor section.  Would you guys like me to move this thread into the "Puller Section"??  If that is where TJ wants to go, we should do that.  Let me know.:occasion-xmas:

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Cooking sweet corn in the back yard...going to be in and out tonight.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1
  • Heart 2

ebinmaine

We have both limited slip differentials and non limited slip here. 

We have VERY rough terrain. 

I can tell you from much experience that my non limited slip Cinnamon Horse C160 will pull anything I ever want it too. 

I can also tell you that Trina's limited slip tractor has excellent traction with FAR less weight needed. 

Speaking from my own experiences....

I would NOT want a fully locked differential on a working tractor. Ever. 

Turns are terrible.

Tires will wear quickly. 

Parts will break prematurely. 

Traction when pulling a heavy load around a corner will be WORSE because the puller will be fighting it's own traction battle.  

That situation will give you a machine out of control and very unsafe to operate. 

If you want the Ultimate possible traction from a Wheelhorse tractor get a PROPERLY WORKING 10 pinion limited slip transmission. 

Get the tractor HEAVY!!

Combining extra weight like fluid filled tires & lots of steel weight..... with a limited slip differential..... ?

Yessir. 

• Like 5

TJ5208

@stevasaurus we could do that there is a garden tractor pull up the road that they have every month ill try to maybe enter Rebel a friend of mine with horses tried to enter but the people running the show said no locals and then the price to get in like insurance 

• Like 1

Goofey
14 hours ago, Snoopy11 said:

And I think it should be said, no one on this forum should come on here and trash this thread. This guy has asked a good question about something he is curious about. If you don't have anything good/informative to say: :eusa-shhh:

:wacko: preemptive scolding. I think that's the first time i have seen this on here.

Listen to Steve and Eric. Put some weight on, and it will outperform any lighter tractor with locked diff. The other option is only usable in very limited ways. Set of waterfilled aggs will do wonders too.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Snoopy11
7 hours ago, Goofey said:

:wacko: preemptive scolding. I think that's the first time i have seen this on here.

Dat's because... if you look into some other people's questions about doing this, they get trashed.

Want some examples? I can dig some up of guys asking about locking their diffs... and people making some pretty rude comments...

Don

Edited by Snoopy11

Snoopy11
7 hours ago, Goofey said:

:wacko: preemptive scolding.

Wonder why...?

On 3/3/2013 at 9:34 AM, Jim_M said:

If I need it, it [differential lock] means I've done something wrong and should have stayed in the house to begin with.

On 3/3/2013 at 6:10 AM, Wheel-N-It said:

Never had the need for a diff lock myself.

On 3/1/2013 at 12:57 PM, Don1977 said:

Low gearing is worth more than a locking differential. 

On 3/1/2013 at 9:01 AM, leeave96 said:

The diff lock deal IMHO is way overblown.

On 3/1/2013 at 12:27 PM, SousaKerry said:

Well if you need a dif lock and you cant keep traction then you probobly are doing something you shouldn't.  :angry-nono:

stevasaurus

OK...that's enough of that.  Let's let the Mods do the Moderating.  :orcs-cheers:

• Excellent 1

Snoopy11
Just now, stevasaurus said:

OK...that's enough of that.  Let's let the Mods do the Moderating.  :orcs-cheers:

:bow-blue:

Don

• Thanks 1