TJ5208

Diff lock

TJ5208

Can I do a diff lock on my raider 10 without hurting anything pros and cons about doing a diff lock

• Excellent 1

stevasaurus

What year is your Raider??  If you have the 10pinion LS differential, then you need to find an 8 or 4 pinion transmission.  I don't think you can lock a 10 pinion LS differential.  An 8 or a 4 pinion is possible, just have to turn a few pinions over.  You will not hurt the trans in that case, but turning corners is a little difficult.  Going straight is no problem.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 2

TJ5208

1970 model 16051 

stevasaurus

If original, you have a #5073 10 pinion LS transmission.  Unless somebody knows something I don't, you want to find an 8 pinion like a #5091.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Snoopy11
6 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

turning corners is a little difficult. 

Not when you gas-it-up and go sideways... :auto-driving:

I can do that with my trans left as-is though...

And I think it should be said, no one on this forum should come on here and trash this thread. This guy has asked a good question about something he is curious about. If you don't have anything good/informative to say: :eusa-shhh:

Don

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

TJ5208

Is that a good tranny would a 4 16 8 have the one I need what would be wrong with the one I have

WheelHorse520H
3 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

And I think it should be said, no one on this forum should come on here and trash this thread. This guy has asked a good question about something he is curious about. If you don't have anything good/informative to say: :eusa-shhh:

I agree. I have also never even thought about doing that. I might have to follow along on this one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Snoopy11
12 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

:handgestures-thumbupright:

I heard of a guy locking his diff by welding one time. They say that welding makes it stronger than flipping pinions...

Might want to check on youtube there TJ... get some ideas.

Thoughts anyone? Whatchya think Steve? Rabbit hole...? :confusion-shrug:

Don

• Thanks 1

stevasaurus

The 10 pinion LS differential has 10 pinions that "float" in the differential.  They are not on a post and can't be turned over to try to lock.  They are the same on both ends, and I think trying to weld them would be messy, and may not even work.  Remember, he did not want to hurt the trans.

No, the 4 or 8 pinion is the only way to go.  I know this subject has been talked about before.  Maybe do a search in the Puller Section.  Pullers are the only reason to do this to a trans.  The #5086 is a 4 pinion with 1" axles and has the hi/low range like an 8 speed.  Puller's prefer the 8 pinion with 1 1/8" axles...#5091.

The 416 8 would have basically the same transmission as a #5091.  The #110995 has 8 pinions with 1 1/8" axles also.  I think the difference between the #5091 and the #110995 is Wheel Horse vs TORO numbers.  :eusa-think:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Snoopy11
4 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

Remember, he did not want to hurt the trans.

Hmm... true. 

So basically, what you are saying Steve, in layman's terms is... his trans won't work for locking?

Don

• Like 1

stevasaurus

That's right...I don't see how you could lock it.  

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

stevasaurus

Here is an 8 pinion.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Snoopy11

So, what I am seeing here... is you would have to buy a #5091 transmission separately, TJ, and lock it, then keep your stock trans for a spare.

I would like to do that same with mine... but I don't have the ready $$$ to shell out for another trans...

I spend too much $ on engines... :ROTF:

Don

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Snoopy11

By the way... TJ... if Steve says it, then he is 99.9% right. He has been around these tractors for a while... knows them... and won't steer you wrong! 

I follow him around a lot and learn... LOL

:dance:

Don

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Maxwell-8

A 10 pinion maybe less strong as a 8 pinion, but would still prefer that limited slip over a fully locked diff.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Snoopy11
Just now, Maxwell-8 said:

A 10 pinion maybe less strong as a 8 pinion, but would still prefer that limited slip over a fully locked diff.

Risk vs. Reward. Fully locked may break stuff before wheels spin. Limited will slip before things break...

Don

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Maxwell-8 is correct...nothing wrong with pulling with a 10 pinion LS.  Another option is to replace that 10 pinion with an 8 pinion differential.  Might have to change out the mushroom gear also.  I seem to remember you need the 2-piece mushroom gear for that.  There is a Service Manual for changing over from 10 to 8 pinions.  :orcs-cheers:

Now is when you want some experienced pullers to join in here.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Snoopy11
1 minute ago, stevasaurus said:

Maxwell-8 is correct...nothing wrong with pulling with a 10 pinion LS.  Another option is to replace that 10 pinion with an 8 pinion differential.  Might have to change out the mushroom gear also.  I seem to remember you need the 2-piece mushroom gear for that.  There is a Service Manual for changing over from 10 to 8 pinions.  :orcs-cheers:

Well, I understand why locking diffs is conversation... as even outside of pulling, down here in Indiana... things get muddy, snowy, slippery, etc... and locked diff would be nice.

Too bad I'm to lazy to do it to my '67 :hide:

Don

• Like 1

Snoopy11
5 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

Now is when you want some experienced pullers to join in here.

Maybe some name-dropping is in order there Steve? :laughing-rofl:

Don

• Like 1

stevasaurus

The thing you want, if you are not into pulling, is a differential you can lock from the outside and un-lock when you don't need it.  I know this has been discussed.  I think CUB's have this option ???  Do some of the "D"'s have locking differentials??  

I'm not sure who all pulls here...check the puller section and add them in here.  :occasion-xmas:

Is TJ looking at getting into pulling???

• Like 1

Snoopy11
3 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

The thing you want, if you are not into pulling, is a differential you can lock from the outside and un-lock when you don't need it.  I know this has been discussed.  I think CUB's have this option ???  Do some of the "D"'s have locking differentials??  

I'm not sure who all pulls here...check the puller section and add them in here.  :occasion-xmas:

Is TJ looking at getting into pulling???

If so... maybe puller section might get more views from those guys...

Just... from my experience, don't go in there asking about locking your diff if you don't plan to get into pulling competitions. For some reason they get unhappy if you just want to do it for the heck of it...

Don

• Like 1

TJ5208

I'm just using the tractor for work and pulling my dad's mower hustler out of the ditch or by the lake

• Excellent 1

TJ5208

If you do want to watch my YouTube just look under TJ Salyers

Snoopy11
42 minutes ago, TJ salyers said:

If you do want to watch my YouTube just look under TJ Salyers

Right back atchya! I'm Crazy Horse over there...

Crazy Horse Just liked and subscribed...

Don

• Like 1

Snoopy11
49 minutes ago, TJ salyers said:

I'm just using the tractor for work and pulling my dad's mower hustler out of the ditch or by the lake

Well, I have pulled a John Deere zero turn out of the pond with my HellHorse... and my tires did not spin in first gear. Now... third gear... yes, I would dig a hole to China... but first gear will pull like hell. 

I do know... with a locked diff, those mowers are pretty heavy... so you might break something... whereas with a LS, you will just spin...

Better to spin that break something... unless you have an extra transmission laying around... LOL

Don

• Like 1