grinchsr

Trans drain plug

grinchsr

Recently picked up a 312H project.  Was doing fine until I got to the drain plug.  Looks like the PO went rock crawling with it using the drain plug as a skid plate.  Can't get any hex key to bite enough to remove the plug.  Has anyone been successful at sucking out enough oil to make it worth while?

Maxwell-8

AIH, I have used an engine oil extractor (uses  compressed air) to suck out the oil in my c175 hydro.  They claim it gets more oil and debris out then by draining.

I got to say, It got oil the oil out.

1DXN2_AS01

Edited by Maxwell-8
  • Like 2

peter lena

@grinchsr, did you use a small flat screwdriver to dig out that Allen plug ? the allen tool that you should have is the  3/8  drive SOCKET VERSION OF THAT . that way you can securely tap it into place , tap it in first with a hammer , ensuring its bite depth , then a breaker bar on that , should give you the mechanical advantage to break it loose. a very solid slow pull , will probably break  it free , use the short allen socket , like this , https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/teq-correct-professional-3-8-drive-hex-bit-socket-3-8-tp80421n/11970569-p?product_channel=local&store=8428&adtype=pla&product_channel=local&store_code=8428&gclid=CjwKCAjwyIKJBhBPEiwAu7zll9s9J0Tapp63WoTrA6lZxqYuC20bJyQFlj4roQhoWDG2_AhYTwJ1yBoCxqMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds. to control your effort , makes tough jobs easy . pete

• Like 1

grinchsr

Thanks Maxwell-8   It looks like that is the way to go because I can't get any tool to work because it looks like the PO already tried to remove it and destroyed the center of it.  

grinchsr

Thanks Pete   I use that tool normally but nothing is going to work on this one except drilling it out or pulling out the oil 

peter lena

@grinchsr that's i was thinking , now that the hole center is junk you could drill it out and use a screw extractor if you choose . what ever is good for you . pete

grinchsr

Drilling up side down would break my already crappy back and I know I would mess up the threads and then have to tap the threads again and I don't own a set of taps plus there is a hurricane coming not that that has anything to do with it.  LOL  Are you ready for it?

gwest_ca

Sometimes you can tap a Torx bit into the damaged hex hole with enough bite to remove the plug.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

grinchsr

Tried it but too mangled.  Looks like I will be vacuuming the oil out.  

JimSraj

My back isn’t great either but I think I’d jack up it as high as I could and try drilling a1/4” hole in it and use easy out. 

• Like 1

edgro

Another possibility is to drill and tap for a 1/8 pipe plug

lynnmor

I get a piece of hex key wrench that is one size larger and then grind the flats at a taper till the end is the correct size.  Then I hammer it into the knackered hole and use a socket to turn it out.

Here is one example, others that I use have less taper.

1355350384_IMG_00501.JPG.5672d7169c0735fd4d15948fb2d4b387.JPG

Edited by lynnmor
Added photo.