OutdoorEnvy

Anyone here use "Vbelt Guys" ?

OutdoorEnvy

Was looking to order some backup deck belts and wanted to see if anyone has used this company before and has experience with their belts.

thanks

pacer

I have used them twice.... I have a Massey GT that the deck takes a cogged belt. I needed 2 that was 25mm wide with 8mm cogs and was only finding 20mm during searching, til I found V Belt guys. They showed the belts correct length and the 25mm that I wanted, but, the cogs number wasnt shown, so I called. A lady answers and taking some 6-8 minutes to determine the cog size # she found that it was the 8mm that I needed! I promptly ordered 2 of them and they arrived quickly - 4 days? and very nice looking belt.

So, they get a :thumbs: from me!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Skipper

I have used them for years now. Be very sure to buy the kevlar / L/G belts for lawn and garden. They are not stellar, but will work for light duty. The standard belts are just as cheaply made as the price, and all I can say is that you only get what you pay for. But, in a pinch, or for a low stress belt, yeah, I use them and can recommend them, but just don't expect too much from an ultra low cost belt. I often put them on as drive belts or deck belts on cheap box store mowers, where the customer just want a cheap fix. I also always inform that they don't last forever..............

I can give you this example. I tried a B belt on my 17.5 hp craftsman 42" mower, that I use for rough areas. I ran it into a small stump of wood, and the belt just snapped. Also they are not heat stable, so any twisting in odd angles will make it soft so it runs on its side and so on. 

• Thanks 1

OutdoorEnvy

Do you all buy Toro OEM and would that be considered the best belt option?  Or this another brand that is better? 

pacer
35 minutes ago, OutdoorEnvy said:

Do you all buy Toro OEM and would that be considered the best belt option?  Or this another brand that is better? 

I'm not to familiar with 'brands' but I DO know (like @OutdoorEnvy sez) that anything less than a kevlar belt is a waste of money - on our tractors. The drive and deck belts on these tractors need that heavy duty that kevlar gives. An auto parts store is not likely to carry them, I go to a bearing supply business here and they have a huge assortment of them.

squonk
1 hour ago, Skipper said:

I have used them for years now. Be very sure to buy the kevlar / L/G belts for lawn and garden. They are not stellar, but will work for light duty. The standard belts are just as cheaply made as the price, and all I can say is that you only get what you pay for. But, in a pinch, or for a low stress belt, yeah, I use them and can recommend them, but just don't expect too much from an ultra low cost belt. I often put them on as drive belts or deck belts on cheap box store mowers, where the customer just want a cheap fix. I also always inform that they don't last forever..............

I can give you this example. I tried a B belt on my 17.5 hp craftsman 42" mower, that I use for rough areas. I ran it into a small stump of wood, and the belt just snapped. Also they are not heat stable, so any twisting in odd angles will make it soft so it runs on its side and so on. 

A "B" belt is not designed for what you used it for. You needed a 5L series belt. They make B/5L belts but they are BS Use true l series belts on GT's

• Like 1

Skipper

I think most of the belts from that place is actually marketed as both 5L and B section. However the choice of material in the belts are much more important, and is what primarily dictates strength and longevity. But you are right, an L type belt is better at bending backwards. And also has nothing to do with the B belt i snapped. Had that belt been build with kevlar, instead of some inferior materials like mono cord, it would not have snapped, and had the rubber compound been right, they would not loos structural coherence when they get a bit hot. Its all in the build quality. But they are very cheap, and for some applications, they will be sort of OK.

Edited by Skipper

peter lena

@pacer reading your reply above , notice that you have a  "  bearing supplier " in your area, having used them for years both at work and long retired , are a fantastic source not only for belts and bearings , but what I have none a lot of , on their pulley wall boards , is to match up W/H pulleys with their pathetic undersize bearings and tiny side grease shields  , ensuring a failure , and change it over to the same size / type pulley , but with a much larger bearing and wide grease shields. then wat I do , is to easily pop of the side grease shields , wipe out the original " grease " and replace it with lucas extra heavy duty polyurea grease, 560 deg rated , anti sling grease. tell me how easily / quiet they work . no failures , bearing suppliers , give you the option to remove your pulley problems , just my own experience, pete

• Excellent 1

peter lena

@pacer reading your reply above , notice that you have a  "  bearing supplier " in your area, having used them for years both at work and long retired , are a fantastic source not only for belts and bearings , but what I have none a lot of , on their pulley wall boards , is to match up W/H pulleys with their pathetic undersize bearings and tiny side grease shields  , ensuring a failure , and change it over to the same size / type pulley , but with a much larger bearing and wide grease shields. then wat I do , is to easily pop of the side grease shields , wipe out the original " grease " and replace it with lucas extra heavy duty polyurea grease, 560 deg rated , anti sling grease. tell me how easily / quiet they work . no failures , bearing suppliers , give you the option to remove your pulley problems , just my own experience, pete

peter lena

@pacer, on the pulleys I have found that match up for w/h types, they are the same size , and  v type or flat , but have larger 5/8  ID bearing , easily converted to w/h use with a 5/8 x3/8 bronze press in bushing  , making it an exact fit . then while i am looking at the wide side bearing shields , using a pocket flat screwdriver , carefully pop off the shields , thoroughly wipe out the " grease " and refill with lucas extra heavy duty polyurea ,hi temp , anti sling grease , walmart , $  5 . done this on all my previous bearing failure areas , no more failures , no noise , and ridiculous smooth easy function. did that on my belt drive rear idler  pulley , lubricated all related linkage , functions with no effort at all .  also my pto , mule drive bearings , all deck bearings , pto cone needle bearing , realize this might upset a purest , no intent on that , but if you have a nagging problem , why not correct it ? pete  

pacer
18 minutes ago, peter lena said:

are a fantastic source not only for belts and bearings

Yes, and my particular store - "Bearing Service" has a HOST of other products. They have a huge hydraulic dept, tools, key stock, all the solvents,(kroil, etc) --- and on top of all that, they have the most fantastic knowlegeable employees!! Its a 50 mile round trip to get there but I'll gladly go.....

• Excellent 1

peter lena

@pacerthat's what  I am talking about , glad that you are taking advantage if it , pete