Gregor

Electrical question

Gregor

There is an air conditioner on FB I am considering. It is 24000 BTU, 220 volt. I have tried to find the amp draw for this unit on line, with no success. I need to run wire and install a 220 volt outlet. My question is about the size of wire I  need. I will be running about. 50'. Will 10 ga solid be OK, or do I need to go to 8? Maybe this can't be answered without knowing the amp draw. :dunno:

Thanks  Greg

ebinmaine

Your local Code Enforcement Officer may be the one that has to answer that. 

lynnmor

The air conditioner is likely about 12 amps, it will be marked on it.  AC outlets are 20 amp, while #12 wire would be OK, due to the distance I would consider #10.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gregor
29 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Your local Code Enforcement Officer may be the one that has to answer that. 

We are a little back woodsy around here. We aint got one of them I don't think.

JCM

Installed a Friedrich thru-the wall 24,000 btu and had a licensed electrician wire it. Outlet was 6' from 200 amp panel and he used 12-2 to feed it. Specs on A/C unit,230/208 and cooling amps 10.6/11.4.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
20 minutes ago, Gregor said:

We are a little back woodsy around here. We aint got one of them I don't think.

That's not necessarily a bad thing. 

My town is pretty lax about most things but electrical and plumbing codes are followed closely... And for good reason of course. 

One thing I learned during our oil spill incident/occurrence was that my insurance company was adamant about those installations being done by a Licensed Electrician or Plumber as required. 

Future claims would be challenging without properly documented repairs. 

• Like 1

Gregor

Around here they are strict on plumbing. Electrical, not so much.

• Like 1

953 nut

# 12 will work but I would go with the # 10 copper while you are at it. If in the future you decide to upgrade to a unit with heat that will be needed.

• Like 3

squonk

Is this wire going to be underground or thru a basement? I would upsize to #8 or even #6  with a sub panel for future upgrades like a bigger compressor/welder more outlets ect.

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1

Gregor

The wire will be in my garage. This will be a dedicated line for the AC only. My garage is otherwise already completely wired.

• Like 1

Zeek

That should draw 15-20 amps. You don't want to run the minimum, but here is a wire chart to give you an idea what you need for the distance.

• Like 2

AMC RULES
2 hours ago, Gregor said:

Around here they are strict on plumbing. Electrical, not so much.

How local & reliable is your fire support?

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

That was basically what my insurance company was trying to get at....

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:rolleyes: You mean if you burn your house down they won't cover you?  :dunno:

• Like 1

Gregor
15 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

Whaaaaaatt?  You have no faith in me?  I am crushed.

Volunteer fire dept. here.  With all the gas, paint, acetone, and thinners, in this garage, I'm afraid it would go pretty fast, and there would be little I could do, except watch it burn. :popcorn:

ebinmaine
24 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

:rolleyes: You mean if you burn your house down they won't cover you?  :dunno:

They didn't specifically come out and say that. But they definitely wanted to see licensed professionals doing the work as opposed to my hack job. 

:lol:

lynnmor
8 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

They didn't specifically come out and say that. But they definitely wanted to see licensed professionals doing the work as opposed to my hack job. 

:lol:

"They" are people that were, or still are, in the trades or have a personal interest.

I participate in an RV forum, you would not believe the number of licensed professionals that wired 120 volt RV outlets for 240 volts.  They see a large outlet and can't even read the numbers.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Gregor
10 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

They see a large outlet and can't even read the numbers.

They see that 30 amp plug and automatically think 240 volt.

• Like 1

lynnmor
Just now, Gregor said:

They see that 30 amp plug and automatically think 240 volt.

That is correct, but they don't see the white, brass and green on the terminals and attach the wires.

Gregor

I only have a pop up with a 30 amp cord. I have often wondered what would happen if it was plugged into 240. Would the breakers in the camper protect anything, or would it just fry everything. Breakers don't really protect against high voltage I don't think.

lynnmor
1 minute ago, Gregor said:

I only have a pop up with a 30 amp cord. I have often wondered what would happen if it was plugged into 240. Would the breakers in the camper protect anything, or would it just fry everything. Breakers don't really protect against high voltage I don't think.

Breakers limit amperage, since whatever loads are turned on in the camper will actually draw half the amps on 240 volts there is less than no protection.  You can buy an EMS that will shut down the supply but they are expensive.  I check my voltmeter before turning on anything expensive.  The biggest problem in campgrounds is low voltage, which can burn out appliances that have a motor, like an air conditioner.

• Like 3

Handy Don
2 hours ago, lynnmor said:

That is correct, but they don't see the white, brass and green on the terminals and attach the wires.

You mean you can't just change the socket? :lol:

Handy Don
6 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

That's not necessarily a bad thing. 

My town is pretty lax about most things but electrical and plumbing codes are followed closely... And for good reason of course. 

One thing I learned during our oil spill incident/occurrence was that my insurance company was adamant about those installations being done by a Licensed Electrician or Plumber as required. 

Future claims would be challenging without properly documented repairs. 

Last year I changed to a new carrier on homeowner insurance. They required I sign an affidavit attesting that all electrical wiring had been inspected and approved by Fire Underwriters and all plumbing by the local building inspector. They also wanted images of door deadbolts as well as roof/gutter/downspouts and foundation grading. Same reasons--hack work, weak security, or poor maintenance may cause refusal to give coverage or rejection of a claim. 

I did get discounts for some items like the dual locks and very recent roof replacement, so that was a nice offset.

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 1

Gregor

I was just at my local Far & Home Store. 10 / 2 with gnd, 50 feet, $180   12 / 2 with gnd, 50 feet, $80.  I'm thinking it;-'s going to be 12 / 2.

squonk

Spend the x tra $100. Your AC compressor will thank you. If you get enough voltage drop you will shorten the life of the compressor.

• Like 2