Ed Kennell

Harvest Time

ebinmaine

Niiiiice

2 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

just have to do some watering

Wish we could bag up and send some formerly cloud contained aqueous solution. The Gardening Department says there is way too much.  

• Sad 3

JAinVA

You mean veggies don't come from a factory.  Who knew?  Looking good!

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Herder
13 minutes ago, JAinVA said:

OOOO NOOO!! What do you mean?

• Haha 2

Pullstart
25 minutes ago, JAinVA said:

“Peaches come from a can, they were put there by a man...”

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

Skwerl58

They look great! I also have been blessed with a great harvest this year. Canned and frozen peas, beans, cukes, tomato sauce and going to hopefully have some okra and butter beans soon! I love veggies and fruit!

• Like 2

ranger

All I’ve grown so far is ‘Hay’. 😢But the 🐎 is happy,😋 and won’t go hungry! (The other horses prefer ‘gas’).

• Haha 1

Stormin
4 hours ago, ranger said:

The other horses prefer ‘gas’.

The four legged variety produce it. :D

• Like 1

ranger
2 hours ago, Stormin said:

The four legged variety produce it. :D

Yes Norm. It’s a pity I can’t run the others on it! Perhaps I could use it to produce Something to mix with the “gas”, I could call it “Equinol”?🤔 😀

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

Tractorhead

Great harvest .

I have to fight here against snails while we have too much Rain...

I don‘t like poison so i checked it on natural things.

Cilli is a good way to start even coffe.

coffeepowder used after it passes one time the Coffemaker appears to be a good solution.

cook it out for 30 min and let it sat another night.

than filtering in a pumpspray can and apply the plants.

it reduces their attacks massively so i could harves just few things.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, ranger said:

Equinol

Excellent. Well done!!!

• Like 1

Zeek

Very nice! I miss PA sweet corn:rolleyes:. The corn from here isn't as sweet and juicy unless Walmart gets some shipped in which they do occasionally. Fortunately they had it for 15¢ an ear recently.

• Like 2

Daron1965

Been overwhelmed with beans, cucumbers, peppers and watermelons. Corn almost ready. Tomatoes just now turning. Pumpkins doing well also. Had no luck with carrots. 

• Like 2

Ed Kennell
9 hours ago, Daron1965 said:

Been overwhelmed with beans, cucumbers, peppers and watermelons. Corn almost ready. Tomatoes just now turning. Pumpkins doing well also. Had no luck with carrots. 

Overloaded with beans, tomatoes corn, cantaloupes and peppers here.    I keep the family and neighborhood supplied.

Wish you were closer...I could use a watermelon.

• Like 2

ebinmaine

We've been getting some peas, beans, tomatoes, cucumbers, a few peppers. There's a spaghetti squash and an acorn squash growing. 

Really has been too wet for a stellar garden year here. 

Only just a couple dozen miles north it's a light drought. 

We're on the south side of the mountains...

• Like 3

Darb1964

Probably the least productive garden I've ever had, I've been gardening my entire life. Record amount of rain and little sun not a good combination. Trying to stay optimistic that August will be dryer and turn things around.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Dakota8338
On 7/30/2021 at 12:57 PM, Tractorhead said:

Great harvest .

I have to fight here against snails while we have too much Rain...

I don‘t like poison so i checked it on natural things.

Cilli is a good way to start even coffe.

coffeepowder used after it passes one time the Coffemaker appears to be a good solution.

cook it out for 30 min and let it sat another night.

than filtering in a pumpspray can and apply the plants.

it reduces their attacks massively so i could harves just few things.

We have much that same problem here in the semi-tropical jungle where we live.  I have found a flashlight, long reach tweezers & a two liter pop bottle with a cup or so of soapy water (liquid detergent diluted with water into a soapy slurry, works as well if not better than salt and is much easier prepared & it does not have to be that much soap either), works wonders for eliminating the slug problem.  Three to four trips nightly hunting the little slithering monsters will certainly reduce their population.  Once the bottle begins to have an odor when opened, discard with the normal trash and start all over with a fresh pop bottle & a cup or two of soapy water.  A couple of paper towels to remove the slug glue all along from its build-up on the tweezers is an added bonus during the nightly hunting.  

• Like 2

Jeff-C175
5 hours ago, Dakota8338 said:

nightly hunting.

Around here it's Tomato Hornworms.  But it's been so dry this year I've not had a single one.

The best thing for those is a U.V. flashlight.  The worms light up at night like neon signs.  Soapy water... buh bye.

• Thanks 1

Ed Kennell
6 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Around here it's Tomato Hornworms.  But it's been so dry this year I've not had a single one.

Hmm, none of the green monsters here either this year.

Do spotted lantern flys or cicadas eat hornworms?   I just changed the bags on my traps.  They were filled with SLFs, cicadas, and cicada killer wasps..   Almost 2 gallon of the devils went to the burn barrel.

Pullstart
7 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

The best thing for those is a U.V. flashlight.  The worms light up at night like neon signs.  Soapy water... buh bye.

Those things decimated quite a bit of our tomato plants this year.  Great idea!

953 nut

We have the US Forest Service lands as our back property line and the deer population has become such a nuisance that I have given up gardening. They will eat nearly anything, last crop of poll beans I raised the deer ate all the leaves off the plants, just left the beans hanging there naked. I have a few flower beds near the house and as soon a buds appear the deer eat them too. I am not a hunter (and won't give @Ed Kennell the address). I love watching the deer but sure wish they would keep out of the gardens.

• Haha 2

rmaynard

2 hours ago, 953 nut said:

We have the US Forest Service lands as our back property line and the deer population has become such a nuisance that I have given up gardening. They will eat nearly anything, last crop of poll beans I raised the deer ate all the leaves off the plants, just left the beans hanging there naked. I have a few flower beds near the house and as soon a buds appear the deer eat them too. I am not a hunter (and won't give @Ed Kennell the address). I love watching the deer but sure wish they would keep out of the gardens.

My wife loves her flower gardens and plants, and we have literally hundred of hostas, azaleas, rhododendrons, and other plans that the deer love to eat. So when we came back from vacation, we noticed everything had been eat with the exception of those plants we sprayed with Bobbex. Smells terrible, but works to repel the deer and rabbits

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

The  sweet corn and cantaloupes  harvest is almost over.

Pumpkins and cabbage will be next.

104_0937.JPG.a401569e6e2562a0797e887dfdc8589e.JPG

Edited by Ed Kennell

Jeff-C175

I've only gotten THREE tomatoes ripen so far this year and one was eaten by a chipmunk.

Early on, almost none of the flowers fruited in spite of my using the brush to help pollination.

Now there are a couple dozen golf ball sized greenies that probably won't ripen.

I just don't understand it. I've done the same things I've always done and had more maters than I could eat.

This year? WTF?

Looks like a banner year for green tomato parmesan!

• Confused 1

Handy Don
5 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

This year?

Dry and heat. We couldn't keep up with watering.