pfrederi

76 Yrs ago 1,100 men went into the water...

peter lena

@ri702bill , years ago there was a postal carrier , named roger Evans, he also had some tattoos on his arms , very nice guy , with humility that exuded virtually anything he did, turned out he was a bosuns mate in 1941 assigned to the British army   for island hopping . was captured by Japanese army , pow for more than 4 years , building railroad across jungles and mountains . tattoos were a name and  jungle route line , on his inner arms . wanted someone to know what he had done .  ww2 was very tough for a lot of people , glad to have known him, pete  

• Like 5
  • Heart 2

Handy Don

The Indianpolis' story, during and since, is a sad stain on the US Navy's history. With plenty of ignorance, dereliction, and even racism on display as well as amazing professionalism, grit, determination, and outright heroism. It deserves the time to give it a full read. It would be a great honor to know one of the survivors.

Only many, many years after the war was her captain, posthumously, cleared of blame for the incident when the testimony of the captain of the Japanese submarine that launched the torpedoes was reluctantly accepted (he declared that even had the ship been zigzagging, he would have easily sunk it).

Edited by Handy Don
  • Heart 1

roadapples

My Dad was army. Philippines and New Guinea. He wouldn't talk about  it either. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Pullstart

I hung out this past weekend with a good handful of vets, two from the Navy.  They talked about many good times, mainly girls and partying, etc.  The two guys met on 9/11 and shortly after they received orders to go defend our nation.  I still don’t know if they’ve killed, been shot at, or the nitty gritty.  Maybe some day.  Maybe not.  Thank you all who have served, thank you for putting yourself last and others before you.  Such a humble act.

• Like 2
  • Heart 3

Handy Don
3 hours ago, pullstart said:

Such a humble act.

The husband of a close friend of my wife needed some systems help and my wife volunteered me. Over several years helping him, I came to learn that he'd been a loadmaster flying supplies "over the hump" into China during WWII. He made it sound so "matter-of-fact". I did some research to learn what a dangerous mission he had survived. 

Humble acts.

• Like 1
  • Heart 3

Wheel Horse 3D

All in returning from a mission which may have saved countless American and Japanese lives from a protracted war. "Greater love has no man, than he lay down his life for that of his friend(another)"

• Like 1
  • Heart 3

tom2p
On 7/29/2021 at 5:27 PM, Handy Don said:

The husband of a close friend of my wife needed some systems help and my wife volunteered me. Over several years helping him, I came to learn that he'd been a loadmaster flying supplies "over the hump" into China during WWII. He made it sound so "matter-of-fact". I did some research to learn what a dangerous mission he had survived. 

Humble acts.

greatest generation 

• Like 1

RandyLittrell
On 7/29/2021 at 11:27 AM, roadapples said:

My Dad was army. Philippines and New Guinea. He wouldn't talk about  it either. 

My Grandpa was there too. If never talked about, but he did tell us once about when they came to shore. The boat didn't get all the way to shore and when the guys in front of him were jumping in the water, they would sink and not come up with all the stuff in there packs. He took off his pack and got rid of his gun and was able to make it to shore and find what he needed on shore. 

Randy

• Sad 1