Esbrian

42" rd deck spindle repair

Esbrian

Hey all, i just picked up a 312-8, year unknown but i believe late 80s.  It mows well but makes an awful racket because the center spindle lower bearing is totally shot.

My questions are 1 - what is the procedure for removing the center spindle and, 2 - assuming I'm able to do so without wrecking everything, what is my best course of action going forward? Should i attempt to replace the bearing or purchase the complete spindle assembly?

This is my first WH but i work on my '55 ford and have a decent set of tools and so-so level of mechanical knowledge...

Thanks 

Brian

• Like 1

WHX??

Hello Brian and :WRS:

I would pull apart the spindle first to see what it does need. In my analness I would end up going thru the whole deck just to have that feel good thing. Some you can do a bearing some the spindle housing is toast.

BTW we like our pics here so that '55 does not exist if ther are no :text-coolphotos:

• Like 2

Esbrian

Ok whx, here's the ford.  Its not much to look at but has never let me down.  I use it primarily for plowing the driveway in winter and spraying a small vineyard, with a little discing, plowing, and brush hogging when i can find the time.  Pay no attention to the yellow front wheel, the original is resting in the barn with an ancient spare on it for when righty gives up the ghost.

As to the center spindle on my mower deck, can you point me toward a manual or description of how to remove the pulleys in order to free the spindle?  "So-so" may have been an exaggeration of my mechanical prowess...  it looks like i can remove the nut and lock washer on the spindle shaft in order to remove the pulleys, but I'd rather not break anything i dont have to...

FB_IMG_1627438516391.jpg

• Like 1

rjg854

:WRS:  is there a model and serial number on your deck?  If so you could check the manuals section to see if there is a manual that will give you a breakdown of what you're trying to repair.  Many decks are similar as to how they go together.  Hope this helps a little.

Skwerl58

I rebuilt and replaced a spindle this spring. The center pulley is pricey so be careful with it. There is some great info about the procedure here in the search feature. Also the shafts can have different dimensions so make sure you get the correct bearings. Be patient and rebuilding them isn't hard. 

• Like 1

Esbrian
44 minutes ago, rjg854 said:

:WRS:  is there a model and serial number on your deck?  If so you could check the manuals section to see if there is a manual that will give you a breakdown of what you're trying to repair.  Many decks are similar as to how they go together.  Hope this helps a little.

If there is, i havent been able to find it...  it has been repainted, and all the stickers painted over.  Would the model and swrial be on one of the stickers or on a riveted plate?

rjg854

I'm not all that familiar with those models, but I think they are on a sticker.  If you can post a picture of your deck, I'm sure someone can lead you in the right direction.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

If you take a rag and use Acetone, you can gently soften and rub the paint off of any stickers without hurting them.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1

Esbrian
4 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

If you take a rag and use Acetone, you can gently soften and rub the paint off of any stickers without hurting them.  :occasion-xmas:

Thanks @stevasaurus, I will give that a shot.  Unfortunately many of the stickers have partially peeled up from the deck and loose sections have broken off.  I did manage to find one partially-readable sticker that references B71.1.1986, which appears to be a power equipment safety standard (presumably adopted in 1986) and implies that the deck is from '86 or later...  I'll see if I can clean up the remaining stickers but from what I can see so far they all look like warnings.

I'll snap a pic tonight, hopefully that will give folks a better idea of what I'm working with.  Sadly the deck has some significant rot on the right side, but if I can rebuild the center spindle rather than replace the whole thing then I think it will still make economic sense. 

• Thanks 1

stevasaurus

Right, with a couple of good pictures, these guys can ID anything.  Might include a shot from underneath, looking at the blades also.

Esbrian

Welp, bad news for me.  Removed the pulley and spindle without issue,  but thats where the 'without issue' ends.  Bottom of the spindle housing was badly worn, had dropped the snap ring, and the lower bearing's balls have spent some time in the housing wearing ridges in the housing and spacers.  Top bearing came out in pieces, too, although it was all there.  I think i found where the name plate should be, and isnt.  I was willing to live with the deck rot for a couple seasons if the spindle assemblies were ok, but given the cost of a new spindle housing and rebuild kit, along with the rot, I'm leaning toward tring to pick up another deck.  Lots of useable hardware here but i wont be mowing with this without at least a new center spindle housing.

Whats a reasonable price to pay for a decent deck, assuming i can provide 2 spindle assemblies and set of blades, if necessary? Does the 42" sd deck use the same spindles and blades?

20210728_175719.jpg

20210728_175802.jpg

20210728_175744.jpg

20210728_175733.jpg

20210728_183317.jpg

76c12091520h

Spindle assemblies are the same between the 42" side, 42" rear, and 48" side  when comparing Wheel Horse decks of this vintage ( mid 80's and up). Blades are different between all 3 deck sizes. Prices can range from $150 and up depending on location and condition. 

• Like 1

Esbrian
29 minutes ago, 76c12091520h said:

Spindle assemblies are the same between the 42" side, 42" rear, and 48" side  when comparing Wheel Horse decks of this vintage ( mid 80's and up). Blades are different between all 3 deck sizes. Prices can range from $150 and up depending on location and condition. 

Thanks for the response. So are blades going to be, or may be, different between 42" sd and rd, or only between 48 and 42? I'd hate to have to buy blades given the cost of new and the good condition of the ones i have, but i have to mow so it is what it is... even with these deck issues, i have no regrets with respect to purchasing this machine.  There is no comparison between the 312 and the tractor-shaped object i am replacing.

76c12091520h

All 3 decks use their own blades 

• Like 1

Esbrian

So the saga continues...

I picked up a cheap 42" side discharge deck that also needs repair, but i bought it for the spindle assemblies only.  2 of 3 spindle housing are good, but the spindle shafts are a larger diameter... they appear to be 3/4" versus what i believe are 5/8" on my original deck?  I transplanted the center spindle from the sd deck and put my rd blade on it, but the drive pulley is a bit put of whack.

Are the spindle housings the same for the two different sized shafts?  Id like to put my original center pulley, which is pretty true and in good shape, back on the rd deck. If i can get new bearings and spacers i could return the original center pulley and spindle shaft to the rd deck with one of the good housings, assuming they are compatible.

To be clear, i now have 4 good spindle housings (2 from my rd deck that were fitted with the smaller dia shafts and 2 from the sd deck that were fitted with larger diameter shafts), 6 good spindle shafts (3 of each size), and 1 good center pulley of the smaller diameter. Also 2 good outer pulleys of each diameter. Plus some other stuff :). Can i out something together here with a few additional small parts or am i becoming a reluctant parts dealer?

Jeff-C175
1 hour ago, Esbrian said:

appear to be 3/4" versus what i believe are 5/8

Not sure the exact time frame but sometime early to mid 80s the spindle diameter was changed from 3/4 to 17mm.

I believe the housings are the same though.  So, in theory you could mate the good housings that you have with the good spindles and using the correct bearing size come up with three good spindle assemblies.  Of course the bore of the pulleys is different... so you need to use the correct pulley for the size spindle.

Others are better versed in this but it's what I learned this early spring when I rebuilt my 48" SD deck.

Oh, my housings had the bottom ground off also, presumably from dirt collecting in the cup on the bottom and grinding away.  I'm going to make it a point to find a way to clean those out at least once a year from here on out.

• Like 1

Esbrian
14 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Not sure the exact time frame but sometime early to mid 80s the spindle diameter was changed from 3/4 to 17mm.

I believe the housings are the same though.  So, in theory you could mate the good housings that you have with the good spindles and using the correct bearing size come up with three good spindle assemblies.  Of course the bore of the pulleys is different... so you need to use the correct pulley for the size spindle.

Others are better versed in this but it's what I learned this early spring when I rebuilt my 48" SD deck.

Oh, my housings had the bottom ground off also, presumably from dirt collecting in the cup on the bottom and grinding away.  I'm going to make it a point to find a way to clean those out at least once a year from here on out.

Thanks jeff.  I cant say what ground down the bottom end of my rd original center spindle, but the bad center from the sd i just bought had some steel wire wrapped up in the cup which would have done a number on the aluminum housing if it spun for any amount of time...

Jeff-C175
14 minutes ago, Esbrian said:

steel wire wrapped up in the cup

One post I read recently the guy found some hemp twine around the spindle and his housing was trashed too.

Esbrian
On 8/4/2021 at 11:29 PM, Jeff-C175 said:

One post I read recently the guy found some hemp twine around the spindle and his housing was trashed too.

With this post in mind, I just walked my property picking up all the hemp twine I had tossed on the ground while putting up bird netting on my vineyard

• Excellent 1

Jeff-C175
12 minutes ago, Esbrian said:

With this post in mind, I just walked my property picking up all the hemp twine I had tossed on the ground while putting up bird netting on my vineyard

Sorry to 'make work' for ya!  But I guarantee the rewards outweigh the work!  ;)