Zeek

LED Power Supply Electrical Advice Needed

Jeff-C175
25 minutes ago, rjg854 said:

if there might have been a cure

I imagine only the weaker stations are affected. 

The stronger ones are masking out the noise just because they are stronger.

That's the way it is in my shop.  VERY local stations, no problem, but I can only listen to 'oldies' for one 'rotation' of their playlist.

The only decent rock station is pretty weak here.  The jazz station I like is even weaker (college station).

My shop radio is a bit 'over the top' as far as a shop radio goes... It's a Kenwood 60W / channel receiver that I 'rescued' from a trash heap.  Works FINE!

So there is an input for external antenna and I hooked that up to one of these:

image.png.dcfca6318934da77472be35403cc6d22.png

which is mounted on a piece of pipe strapped to the grape arbor.

Piece of 75 ohm RG6 cable to the back of the radio.

I would actually love to have a directional antenna and a rotator... but that's REALLY overkill for FM radio!

Where is the radio in relation to the lights?  Is that it over on the shelf by the toolboxes?

Does the radio have a built in antenna?  A telescopic rod antenna?

Is there an option with your radio to connect an external antenna?

rjg854

No option for an external antenna, I took the original antenna off and ran a piece of wire through the mounting holes and out the side of the building, made a big difference over the original antenna's reception.  I've tried hooking different things to the end of that wire, including antennas, but nothing seem to work as well as that bare piece of wire.  :laughing-rolling:

rjg854

Just happened to look at the picture again, and that radio you see there is the one I used to use on the job when I was working.  It was always in the truck, now it gets used when I'm out in the yard away from the barn and that radio.  There's not much that I do that i don't have a radio on for noise.

Zeek
15 hours ago, rjg854 said:

PXL_20210810_160530303.jpg.39bb4d1a973d2031e63d6ccb19e97d39.jpg

They're a strip light, about 3/4" wide about 42" long. They can plug in end to end or with a short cord between units. I realize they're a cheap fixture, but they light up the area nicely. I only have static on certain stations when they're on. It's not that big a deal. I was just inquiring if there might have been a cure. Thanks.

I have 8 of these lights in my garage. They don't interfere with the radio.

1302970465_20200406_165142(Medium).jpg.271b8aaf7554c16cce55f2632cbe9402.jpg

• Excellent 1

Jeff-C175
7 hours ago, Zeek said:

They don't interfere with the radio.

If that's a metal building I'm surprised you get any reception at all!

Do you recall the make and model of your lights?    <--NVM!  I just noticed that your link was clickable!

Those look like pretty nice fixtures.  And, they have a 5 year warranty!  Die-cast Aluminum housing, etc.  

MUCH better than the cheap 5h1t ones that I got from Horror Fright for $18 bucks!

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 1

rjg854
51 minutes ago, Zeek said:

1302970465_20200406_165142(Medium).jpg.271b8aaf7554c16cce55f2632cbe9402.jpg

That's a great shop :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

rjg854
6 hours ago, Zeek said:

I have 12 fixtures and they cost less than what you paid for 2. I said they were cheap  :teasing-poke:

Ya think that might have something to do with it :laughing-rolling:

Cheap is beautiful 😜 Works well enough for me. :ychain:

• Like 2

dodge78
On 8/9/2021 at 10:08 PM, Jeff-C175 said:

While it's not always a guarantee, the more expensive light fixtures are 'generally' better engineered and may not cause as much interference.

That style I have not dealt with.  If that is a self contained unit,  we shall refer to Jeff-C175 comment above.  

• Like 1

Zeek
On 8/11/2021 at 3:40 PM, rjg854 said:

I have 12 fixtures and they cost less than what you paid for 2. I said they were cheap  :teasing-poke:

Ya think that might have something to do with it :laughing-rolling:

Cheap is beautiful 😜 Works well enough for me. :ychain:

They were a little more because I needed damp location rated lights. It gets SUPER humid here in the summer and that building isn't air-conditioned.

Edited by Zeek

Zeek
On 7/30/2021 at 9:05 AM, Jeff-C175 said:

Not to drift the thread, but generally the cure is to move the radio antenna further from the lights.  The cheap LED power supplies that they use are not filtered well and cause all sorts of interference issues.  There was a thread dealing with this a while ago I believe.

That is true. The headlight on my Harley that I paid $70 for looks and works exactly like the $850 Harley version, but I'm sure the electronics are different. For that difference in price I accepted the interference. I can still Bluetooth music through the radio.

Edited by Zeek
  • Like 1