AHS

00 wheel horse paint

AHS

It happened during the 2” of rain! My garage was full of other wheel horses! So I put a tarp on the WH, then held it in place with a block of wood. And when I pulled the tarp of, white on the front of the hood. It doesn’t feel like primer. Or the paints peeled. It wasn’t at all windy, so the wooden block did not move. Water underneath the paint?

FD5B808D-0E15-484F-995B-9CE22D421003.jpeg

ebinmaine

Water alone certainly shouldn't have done that. Perhaps the tarp was off gassing or has something on/under it?

Does the white scrape/clean off or is it the actual metal of the hood?

• Like 2

rmaynard

What's on the underside of the tarp?  Was this original paint or had it been repainted?

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 1

squonk

I bought a low hour 312 with original paint that had the same thing happen. Owner had covered it with a tarp. White milky paint. Almost like the tarp drew the pigment out of the paint. Really weird.

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1

AHS
10 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

What's on the underside of the tarp?  Was this original paint or had it been repainted?

Original

AHS
2 minutes ago, squonk said:

I bought a low hour 312 with original paint that had the same thing happen. Owner had covered it with a tarp. White milky paint. Almost like the tarp drew the pigment out of the paint. Really weird.

Yes! I’m not at that point yet.. but I was wondering if I should buff it? I dunno if that’ll bring out the paint. 

squonk

Nothing worked with the tractor I had. The color was gone. The milky color was not on top of the red.

• Like 1

c-series don

A friend of mine had an absolutely beautiful D-160, I mean damn near a 10 out of 10 but he put it outside under a blue tarp. It rained and then the sun came out and baked the tarp to the hood, basically ruined the paint. Really was a damn shame. 

• Sad 2

tunahead72

This is so weird.  I just had the same thing happen to my 310-8 a few days ago.  It survived a road trip to Virginia and back with no incidents, got back home and rain threatened before I was going to be able to get it back in my shed, so I covered it with one of the silver-colored heavy duty tarps from True Value or Ace I had laying around.  It rained that night, and when I uncovered it a couple of days later, it had the same kind of damage you guys are describing.

This particular tarp had a load of topsoil on top of it for several weeks, and sat on top of the pressure-treated deck of my trailer that whole time.  I should have rinsed it off before I put it on my tractor, but didn't have time.  Maybe the topsoil leached through the tarp, or something from the pressure treatment, I don't know.

The white stuff didn't come off at all with a wash of mild dish detergent and water.  I did rub one small area more aggressively with my finger tips, and it seemed to disappear a little and reveal red paint again, but I stopped before I did more damage.

The paint is original, only been washed and waxed a few times in its lifetime.  I hope somebody has some ideas, short of repainting the whole hood, which in this particular case isn't going to happen.

AHS

I was thinking, what if it were the wood that I had on top of it? ( in that exact same area). I mean it has sat outside for many of rain storms and snow storms…..  it what if that had something to do with it. I have absolutely no idea what has been on that block of wood…. Grease, creosote, gas, oil… you name it.

I guess that’s an idea… to open the hood.. and tarp it, right from the rear end all the way over the motor. Close the hood. (The hood will be left un tarped) 

0563DD8F-D1E1-4901-912F-D907D63E8941.jpeg

Jeff-C175

I believe it's the 'plasticizers' in the tarp material that are 'migrating' into the paint.  One time I stuck a cassette tape box above the sun visor in my brand new-ish Pontiac.  A few days later I went to pull down the visor and the two plastics had 'welded' together.  And it was NOT hot out, it was winter time.

Probably what happens with the tarps.

Check out:  https://flooristics.com/plasticizer-migration/

• Like 1

AHS
9 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

I believe it's the 'plasticizers' in the tarp material that are 'migrating' into the paint.  One time I stuck a cassette tape box above the sun visor in my brand new-ish Pontiac.  A few days later I went to pull down the visor and the two plastics had 'welded' together.  And it was NOT hot out, it was winter time.

Probably what happens with the tarps.

Check out:  https://flooristics.com/plasticizer-migration/

Cassette tapes?? I remember when they were the rage! And I remember taking the radio out of my 89 S10, and putting in a CD player!😎

• Like 1

953 nut

May as well face it, Wheel Horse built a great garden tractor but their paint jobs weren't the best. Look at any old survivor and you will see that the Kohler engine paint is always in better shape than the :wh: paint. Paint on the engines of these two survivors is much better than the tractors.

HPIM0167.JPG.0a9ceacc0ec4cdc138e5e51a2a010652.JPG

• Like 6

squonk

And the  meta land paint on the newer 300-500 series is nothing compared to the ones in Richard's pics. I see rust but no rot! 

Jeff-C175
2 hours ago, AHS said:

Cassette tapes?? I remember when they were the rage!

Yeah, that was back in the 1900s wasn't it!

How about 8-tracks?

Tuneup

Yeah, 8 tracks. I still remember loving Come Sail Away and then it fading to move to the next track. Bolting that under dash Pioneer 8 track to the old Wildcat rust bucket. Ah, the old Jersey days.

I sense that there are a few cans of Sunrise Red leaving the store racks very soon. It's now about $4.50 a can.

• Like 1

AHS

I got it clear by wet sanding, by, er 300 grit! (That’s what I had). Not bad for 20 year old paint… that’s all I can  ask for! I’m not an auto body painter!! 🙈

B56E55CC-6FB9-4D83-B879-905E45299A99.jpeg

rmaynard

Looks like you are on the right track. Get a pack of fine grit sandpaper up to 3000 grit. Work your way up to 3000 by wet sanding 400, 600, 800, 1000, etc. As long as the paint is thick enough, you will end up with a pretty good finish. Then rub it out with compound and polish.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DTGP1QT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Jeff-C175
1 hour ago, rmaynard said:

fine grit sandpaper

I've had pretty good results with  LIGHT PRESSURE on  0000  steel wool also,  perhaps one of the solutions that's designed to remove the iron particles from car finishes... and if you really wanna go crazy, clay bar!  and then a good compound and polish afterward.  

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 2

Pullstart
On 7/12/2021 at 7:20 AM, 953 nut said:

May as well face it, Wheel Horse built a great garden tractor but their paint jobs weren't the best. Look at any old survivor and you will see that the Kohler engine paint is always in better shape than the :wh: paint. Paint on the engines of these two survivors is much better than the tractors.

Richard, you’re right about paint quality...

...but they sure did shine in putting power to the ground!  I used Jada’s 857 “Barney Fife” to move a work bench with a few of my FIL’s things on it this morning...

94D335EB-42EC-4F09-97AC-7712F45917D3.jpeg

0F89A830-391E-4014-90A7-00C20CB62CEA.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

AHS

@pullstart the 857s got limited slip? Hmm… I’ve got an 857!

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
28 minutes ago, AHS said:

I don't believe that one does. 

The 1967 to 1970 6 or 8 speeds and (some/all?) hydros had LSD.  

• Like 1

Pullstart
1 hour ago, AHS said:

No, just equally poor grip apparently!

• Like 1

tunahead72

Back to the original subject...  I saw this on CraigsList just now, look familiar?

01212_1pTBiAd6eO3z_0kU0rS_600x450.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

AHS
On 9/12/2021 at 9:17 PM, tunahead72 said:

Back to the original subject...  I saw this on CraigsList just now, look familiar?

01212_1pTBiAd6eO3z_0kU0rS_600x450.jpg

Yup, wet sand it. I’ve done two like that, with white patches on the hood. I’m not so scared to have white blotches on the hood, just wet sand it!

• Like 3