ebinmaine

New-to-me Horse (and other stuff) Hauler!!

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

Heavy duty stabilizer bar and duel shocks will take care of that.

This is an HD so it has the larger bar already. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Handy Don

I still remember the Ford TV commercial touting the twin I-Beam. The truck was running over a course laid with 2x boards on alternate sides. The aim was to show how the wheels were going up and down but the cab stayed steady. I always wondered how many runs over the course it took to find the exact speed needed to where the rhythm of the suspension was perfect. Plus I was sure that at slower or higher speeds that thing was all over just like any other truck!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

wh500special

Congrats on the new/old truck.  I don’t like 1970’s and 1980’s vehicles in general, but I really really like that body style Ford.  They aren’t overblown or bulbous with extra adornments or trim and look light weight.  Nothing extra, just enough. 

Dad had an ‘83 half ton 4wd with the 4-speed OD stick and the same 300 six.  I learned to drive in it.  By the time it was 4 or 5 years old all The paint had fallen off of it and it was gray primer.   We kept it touched up with gray spray paint to slow

down the rusting. 

It was so gutless but did what we needed. Top speed was 62 mph in either third or fourth gear.  Ours must have been the only 300 that was a piece of junk though because by 80k miles it was completely worn out.  No oil pressure and low compression.   Couldn’t park it on a hill without it rolling away.  We’d aim it for a

curb or tree to stop It.  The backup lights were permanently on. 

We put a new oil Pump and did a valve job on it.   No improvement. Decided to heck with it and just ran it like it was.  When it would warm up the oil pressure would plummet.   I guess it needed bearings or something but they plastigaged fine when we had the pan off for the oil pump.  

it was one of the first trucks to have antilock brakes on the rear axle.  Both axle seals blew out so the shoes were soaked in oil.  That’s the other reason it would roll

away…parking brake wouldn’t hold. 

still, I loved that truck.   When i see an 80-86 body f-series today I always do a

double take.  I can still hear the squeak

from the clutch pedal And the static on the sparkomatic.  

uncle had an 86 f150 2wd with the same engine and trans as dad’s.  It lasted a lot longer so we just got a lemon I guess.  His had a straight shifter whereas ours had a big s-curve.  

a neighbor had one with the 3.8L v-6.  Only one of those I’ve ever seen.  

anyway, LOVE IT!

and, what does BBT mean?

Steve 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
18 minutes ago, wh500special said:

anyway, LOVE IT!

and, what does BBT mean?

Hey thanks Steve!

I'm hoping it'll work out well as a tow beast and occasional load carrier for us. 

BBT is.....

Well it's @pullstart's invention.  Kev Buddy you care to 'splain the initials ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Pullstart

Black Belt Trina.  She can carry a Kohler engine or a pile of firewood and break it all on half too!  Chop chop!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine

Well folks.

After setting this project aside for a good solid year both mentally and physically so I could focus on the barn shop garage dojo storage area build, I've contacted summit tech and I'm going to be ordering an Auburn Gear Grip-N-Loc complete differential.

Fingers crossed, maybe I can put a couple miles on this truck this year. Get some of the other bugs worked out.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

Pullstart

Complete… is this a 9” third member?

• Like 1

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

Complete… is this a 9” third member?

Oh no sir.  

F250 HD.  

It's a 10.25 ring gear in a full floater.  

Same axle as a 1 ton.  

• Like 2

Pullstart

Gotcha gotcha.

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Well as is standard faire for me I don't wanna rush a project. 

:lol:

@87 416-8 horse

Here's the thread for my F250. 

I'll have to make some notes about what's happened and what I've bought over the almost 3 years I've had this beast. 

Trina has spoken. 

This truck will be moved closer to the top of the project list this year. 

We could have used it 3 years ago. 

We're very adaptable. 

Still using the same 5 x 8 trailer and she's since bought a bigger better vehicle too. 

But the big Ford.... it wants to be driven. 

Soon.......