13 hours ago, BeninCT said:

Wide ass looks good- 

1BBCAFCF-8918-42C5-832C-7FE94C91FF91.jpeg

On a tractor……

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Handy Don
10 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

With the loads and speeds we operate our tractors at, an inch or two should not be a problen.

5 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

On my big tractor project I'm moving the wheels out several inches per side in the back. 

If moved out sufficiently far, I'd start to be concerned about the leverage. What supports the axle inboard of the transaxle wheel bearing near the wheel?

8ntruck
37 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

If moved out sufficiently far, I'd start to be concerned about the leverage. What supports the axle inboard of the transaxle wheel bearing near the wheel?

Good point.  Is there a second bearing on the axles closer to the diff?

• Like 1

ebinmaine
50 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

11 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

Good point.  Is there a second bearing on the axles closer to the diff?

Yes there sure is. That's the very large and heavy duty 1533 bearing.

I'd have to measure it to be sure ... I would say I'm moving each wheel out five or six inches. 

Three of that is in the wheel spacers and the other two or three of that is in the fact that I'm using GT14 axles in a regular 8-speed transmission. They're longer. 

The workload of this particular tractor is going to be for logging/towing duties only (unless I change my mind).

Tongue weight on the rear hitch will never be more than 200 to 300 lb. It's also important to remember that this tractor in and of itself will be a little heavier than your average C series.

I think it will be okay but if it's not, I'll fix it and change something.

• Like 2

Handy Don
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Yes there sure is. That's the very large and heavy duty 1533 bearing

1 hour ago, 8ntruck said:

second bearing on the axles closer to the diff

Went to "Files" and got the Uni-Drive manual so I could see the placement of the 1533 which seems to be about 6 or 7 inches inboard of the 1528 outer needle bearing and effectively in the shell of the body of the transaxle on both sides. The shell has external reinforcement webs cast into it at the point, too.  

With that, and your planned usage, I concur that accelerated bearing/seal wear will be something to watch for but breakage isn't likely.

• Like 1

8ntruck

:text-yeahthat: I agree.  I'll guess that if you have issues, it will be the outer bearing.

• Like 1