rmaynard

My Biggest Gripe with Wheel Horse

rmaynard

The Tach-A-Matic feature was a great addition to the Wheel Horse line, but what they failed to do was make an easy way to attach the lift bars to the bell crank. Several years ago I bought a 50" belly mount blade from @stevebo. I've never installed the blade nor had a need to use it until yesterday. When I attempted to attach blade to the 416-H, I found it easy enough to slide it under and attach at the rear, but when it came to attaching the lift bar (#13 below)

13.png.9cc15dbcd8e0a0c66f04966b71e89aff.png

It was nearly impossible to install the hairpin cotter clip to the bar where it attaches to the bell crank. There is no room for fat fingers. And for an old guy like me with back problems, arthritis and poor eyesight, it took over an hour to get it installed...only to find that the lift bar was too long. 

• Sad 7

cschannuth

I completely agree. I actually had a nice 50 inch belly blade and I used it one time and I never used it again because back then I only had one tractor. Now that I’ve seen the error in my ways and I have more than one tractor I would probably have kept it on a dedicated Tractor because it did work nicely once I had it installed.

• Like 2

Pullstart

There is quite a bit of prime real estate in that area, between steering shafts, the frame rails, dash support, etc.  possibly some long bent needle nose pliers would help with this to hold the cotter pin?

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
28 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

back problems, arthritis and poor eyesight,

I feel your pain Bob.     Another reason I sold the snow blowers and went to plows.    It was the same struggle getting the hairpin clip in the  the "flag"'.

I actually made a slotted bar mounted on the plow frames so I can use the deck lift bar to raise the plows.    Makes it easy to change deck to plow, but of course you don't have the down pressure that you need for the grader blade.

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

I hook up the back first, then use my hydraulic lift with a small 2x4 to even the load, to position the implement where it needs to be to put the pin in… then I use long angled needle nose pliers to put in the clip. No lifting… no struggles to keep it where it needs to be…

I also use a much longer pin to allow easier reach…

:twocents-twocents:

Edited by SylvanLakeWH
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 2

Lee1977

Never had any trouble attaching to my C-120, but the 312-8 is a pain to attach anything. I keep the solid link attached to the lift all the time,

I have it off now as a friend has my grader blade this summer work on his yard. On my solid link have the pins welded in to make it easer to attach

and I also know which way the hole for the pin is position. My grader blade is home made so yours may be different with the blade.

The 520 is easer then the 312 but you still have to remove four screws to remove the bottom plate on the hood stand.

squonk

It's much easier to attach with the older models like a C-120 than any of the 300-500 series. That's one reason I don't own one and probably never will again. Black hoods are the same way. Easiest way to install that pin that I found is using an extra long pair of needle nose pliers. Either jack up the front end and install from underneath or remove the shift plate and go from the top.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

rmaynard

I finally found the longest needle nose pliers I have, but my hand and the pliers obscure my view of the tiny hole in the pin that I need to hit. It would start but then slip off the pin. 

SylvanLakeWH

I went with a longer hardened pin, 4” I think, with the clip attached with a cable. Easy to get in the hole and brings the hole out to where you can easily see it…and when you drop the clip, it’s attached for easy retrieval…

• Like 1

Alex175

Spent 2.5 hours putting a 50" on my C-145 a few weeks ago so I feel your pain.  One of my biggest problems was also that the chain down to the regular implement lift bar was in the wrong hole, being that it was in the center hole instead of the furthest out meant I had to move it before I could install the bar for the grader blade because they wouldn't fit in side by side holes.  Of course the cotter pin for that was seized right in the pin so I had to grind the cotter pin off before I could pull the pin out.  Spent a long portion of that day on my back and under the tractor...It was quite an ordeal.

• Like 1

Stepney

I just use a shackle if I mount the grader at all. Don't even need to look for the pinhole. 

• Like 2

clueless

A few years ago at a garage sale I bought some stainless steel hemostats, not sure what the fellow used them for, he sure did look like he was in the medical field:snooty:. there were about 7 of them, different sizes and lengths, two were curved at the end one was small and about 6" and the other is large and about 11" in length. I have used them when my fat hand can't get to the where I need to hold a bolt, a nut, washer, hose, hairpin, cotter pin or other small items, unlike needle nose they lock, now as far as my sight that's another story. Their also great for holding or hooking small springs up, think Hydro return spring (1533) under the dash plate:ranting:.

• Like 4

roadapples

I herd tell that people use them for roach clips :dunno:

• Haha 6

lynnmor

You really need the full set of :wh: pliers to work on these. 

IMG_2325.thumb.JPG.79c4f4e7035f4a799a25e7724ad6ae4a.JPG

seuadr

the 40" blade is .. interesting also on my 520H. i actually removed the panel below the gauges to get the upper in that way - and - it just hangs there now.

once the top was in the bottom pin is easy peasy.

So far it has not interfered with anything, but i've been keeping an eye on it.

rmaynard
2 hours ago, Stepney said:

I just use a shackle if I mount the grader at all. Don't even need to look for the pinhole. 

:wwp:

clueless
3 hours ago, lynnmor said:

You really need the full set of :wh: pliers to work on these. 

IMG_2325.thumb.JPG.79c4f4e7035f4a799a25e7724ad6ae4a.JPG

Damn!

squonk
4 hours ago, roadapples said:

I herd tell that people use them for roach clips :dunno:

No way! :hilarious:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ranger

I don’t have a belly blade, (yet), but I run a front or rear wheel up on a block to give a little more room underneath, (too many donuts), when I need to connect / adjust anything. 😃

DougC

As an old guy myself I feel your pain Bob..... We need a helper guy to get involved on implement changes kinda like the rich people have cabana boys to serve them drinks with little umbrellas and help dry off after a splash in the ocean........:ROTF:

• Haha 3

Stormin

I don't use the pins and split pins for my plough or grader blade. Hexagon head 6mm screw and two nuts locked together. Makes life easier.

953 nut
11 hours ago, rmaynard said:

There is no room for fat fingers. And for an old guy like me with back problems, arthritis and poor eyesight,

From one old arthritic guy with a bad back to another; that is anther reason to buy another :wh: so you can just attach it and leave it onthere!              :romance-grouphug:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

c-series don

That is what I do! I have my mid mount grader blade dedicated to a GT-1800. 

stevebo

I just sold mine to Bob so I don’t have to install or use it🤪

• Haha 3

rmaynard
1 hour ago, stevebo said:

I just sold mine to Bob so I don’t have to install or use it🤪

Thanks buddy. :unsure:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1