Mickwhitt

Cost of raw materials

stevasaurus

@lynnmor  https://www2.illinois.gov/ides/individuals/UnemploymentInsurance/Pages/default.aspx

https://www2.illinois.gov/ides/IDES Forms and Publications/CLI105L.pdf

I told the truth...alternative facts are worthless.  This is Illinois...not Penn.  maybe that is your issue.??

from page 3 of the above link.

Introduction This publication provides detailed instructions on how job seekers can apply for unemployment insurance benefits. The Illinois Department of Employment Security (IDES) collects unemployment insurance taxes from the state’s liable employers and returns those dollars to eligible Illinois workers as unemployment insurance benefits. IDES also operates an employment service and other special programs for the unemployed and underemployed and matches employer labor needs with the skills of job seekers.

• Like 1

Wheel Horse 3D

I kinda figure all costs that rise, for the most part get pushed to the consumer(in part, you an me)

Any addditional costs incurred by a company for labor, insurance, unemployment etc. Eventually get pushed to the end cost to the consumer, and as consumers have to pay more, demand begins to go down. As demand goes down, so will costs(eventually). What hurts is the small businesses and employees, that cant stay competitive with the large firms in the process. 

Somewhere the economic balance is getting disrupted so it doesn't sort itself out correctly and naturally.

• Sad 2

lynnmor

The most recent stimulus legislation, the American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) includes another expansion of federal unemployment benefits.

Qualifying Americans will receive $300 per week on top of state unemployment benefits through Sept. 6, 2021.

Federal is involved.

Wheel Horse 3D
6 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

Qualifying americans.... through Sept. 6, 2021.

Wonder how many of us wouldnt qualify? Lol.

formariz
36 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

collects unemployment insurance taxes from the state’s liable employers

Same here in NJ. In addition to that , taxes for Unemployment Insurance are also collected from every individual's  paycheck  which is clearly stated on every pay stub.

• Like 2

$28,000 a year is not enough?   cost of living must be sky high there , that's way more than i make at my job

Wheel Horse 3D

For me, i have, over the years,climbed the scale of my profession, to where I make more than the average person, not huge money mind you but enough I can just about feel comfortable with the standard of living i want. Not too fancy but what id consider ok.

Seems to me, its kinda my fault(or at least im made to feel like it is) for wanting and having so much. If id be content with having less, then maybe i could get by on unemployment, but as it is, my max unemployment would be way less than my bills....now if I can just pay off that house....there's rich for ya...no mortgage or rent!

formariz
Just now, 305 said:

$28,000 a year is not enough?   cost of living must be sky high there , that's way more than i make at my job

I can only speak for myself, but here are a few examples;

Property tax on 3/4 acre $15,000.00

water bill every 3 months in Summer  average $450.00/quarter

auto insurance on 2 cars   $3,000.00/ year

Home insurange$1,500.00/year

Just a few examples. I am not personally complaining since I am one of the lucky ones who has no mortgage, debt , I and am fully covered with the best  free medical insurance and I have money. Now consider a young couple starting today with rent, car insurance, car payments, health insurance, along with everything else needed to live and you will understand that Unemployment Insurance is only a band aid for a gaping wound. Even when things are going well most will just break even not being able to save for their future.  I would like to say much more but unfortunately it is hard without sounding political about it, which I am not. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Wheel Horse 3D
6 minutes ago, formariz said:

Insurance

Not a fan of that stuff...any time i ever needed it they cancel my policy shortly after...alll that money i pay in :bitch:

Wheel Horse 3D
31 minutes ago, formariz said:

Property tax on 3/4 acre $15,000.00

:scared-eek: holy mother of pearl!

Lesson one, no matter your circumstances...count yer blessings :D

Edited by Wheel Horse 3D
  • Like 1

WHX??
8 minutes ago, Wheel Horse 3D said:

:scared-eek: holy mother of pearl!

:text-yeahthat:second thing you said that makes sense! :ychain:

Property tax on 10 acre $15,000.00   $2500.00

auto insurance on 2   4 cars   $3,000.00/ year   $800.00/year ....ok fish truck has no comprehensive 

home insurance is close tho and can't compare water I have a well 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wheel Horse 3D
1 minute ago, WHX24 said:

can't compare water I have a well 

Here i got both city and well, but if i get off the city water i get charged a fee for NOT using city water:eusa-think:

Much better than when in NM. Here at least we HAVE water! 

• Excellent 1

Wheel Horse 3D
8 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

8 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

:text-yeahthat:second thing you said that makes sense! :ychain:

Well..... ya know..that whole "broken clock" thing!

Edited by Wheel Horse 3D
  • Haha 2

WHX??
13 minutes ago, Wheel Horse 3D said:

charged a fee for NOT using city water:eusa-think:

On city sewer? That usually where they nail ya. And if you have sewer available they outlaw POWT systems (septic tank) 

Wheel Horse 3D
3 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

On city sewer? That usually where they nail ya. And if you have sewer available they outlaw POWT systems (septic tank) 

Same with the sewer, while you can have a septic system, if a add one youll be charged a monthly fee! Youd think that theyd encourage properly installed systems that took load away from the city lines(which they been seeming to have trouble with already)

formariz

We should all realize and understand that although this is one country, things are very different from one area to another unlike in most other countries. We should not be passing judgement on others , their ideas  and their way of life. We should be united and try to understand others point of view for they all have value and are always a result of their circumstances. We should not be labeling people for their political or religious affiliation but rather understand why they have the thoughts they have. We are being guided like cattle to go one way or another at the cattleman's discretion and convenience. I stated a few of my circumstances not to complain or boast but just to illustrate how different things are in the same country. Trust me when I say that I know I am one of the exceptions. This system can be very unfair. If one does well and has money, generally one  will always have money simply because money makes money and this system favors that. However if one doesn't  or just gets by, the hole just gets bigger or one is always clinging to the edge. Its rigged. I am not swayed by any political affiliation or ideology, I have none. I am however swayed by what I see and my experience in life dealing with many different people. Too many times we are caught up in this madness and do not see or realize what is happening. We are all supposed to reap the same benefits afforded by our hard work and love for this country but it is not the same for everyone. I know that the step between where I am and homelessness in this country is also very short one. Its unfair and its not right.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 4

oh , i get it now...it's UNFAIR.  and reap the same benefits?   THATS MY TRIGGER..... as in Life ,Liberty and pursuit of everything in your life will be fair.  tell me where it is guaranteed everything will be fair?  yes...there a lot of unfair things in everyone's life.  where do we draw the line?

was it unfair that my niece died at 6 years old with a terrible illness?  was it unfair my people were abused during WW2? what line do i get in to get these taken care of?  when do i get my check in the mail?

many years ago i was at a Boy Scout meeting and one kid whined to the Scoutmaster that something was unfair. he looked at him and said...son , life isn't fair , it wasn't meant to be fair , it never going to be fair and the sooner you understand that the better you will be off. at that second the bell went off i knew it was up to ME to make it " fair" for me. 

• Like 1

Wheel Horse 3D
44 minutes ago, 305 said:

up to ME to make it " fair" for me. 

Excellent attitude to take no matter what life dishes out!

• Like 1

Wheel Horse 3D

Back to material costs....man i wish i had one of these!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

formariz
25 minutes ago, 305 said:

at that second the bell went off i knew it was up to ME to make it " fair" for me. 

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Nothing is guaranteed. We all have the right to the pursuit of happiness  but not at the expense of someone else.  We just need to understand others plight and not point fingers. We also need to understand the forces behind the unfairness. If we do not it just gets worse. Dying of illness? Half of my family on my fathers side has died of leukemia. My sons and I get tested yearly. I hold no one responsible. My wife has Parkinson's. I hold no one responsible and I am not angry about it . Its life. Nothing to do with the subject at hand. Unfairness to your people in WW2/ Don't know whom that is but I am sure you are right. I spend years with an Holocaust survivor who had a long number tattooed on his wrist. Listened to countless hours of stories of unthinkable suffering, misery, and heartache. Stuff that should be taught in schools rather than just teach the great achievements of a few privileged with power. Want to talk about unfairness? Its not unique to any of us. Sure life is not fair. However when it is not fair because of the actions of the ones with power and influence working for their own means at the expense of the masses that is something else. I came from a place where that was prevalent. It was called a dictatorship. I can recognize the similarity in many actions happening today. I sincerely hope that I am wrong.

• Excellent 2
  • Heart 4

Wheel Horse 3D
37 minutes ago, formariz said:
37 minutes ago, formariz said:

but not at the expense of someone else. 

Power and influence working for their own means at the expense of the masses

Very key point! Any successes we have should be earned and not at someone else's expense!

Edited by Wheel Horse 3D
  • Excellent 1

bc.gold
1 hour ago, Wheel Horse 3D said:

Back to material costs....man i wish i had one of these!

A buddy milled all his own lumber used to build his house, once it was cut he hired a lumber grader to grade the lumber, he and another friend turned the boards then as the boards were graded each went into their respective piles.

You can reuse previously used lumber in your house as long as it has a visible grade mark.

I see plenty of shelving material being sold which has been made from otherwise waste wood, the finger joints are visible. It's time to get creative.

Log home timber.

http://tpinspection.com/download/LogProgramTechnicalGuide.pdf

spacer.png

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
17 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

This statement is political..."It might be time to stop printing money and paying people not to work.

I have to disagree Steve, this is economics.  The indiscriminate  printing of money to finance short term  programs is a direct cause of inflation resulting in higher  long term costs for everyone.

Having spent over 45 years  in management with a company that has had over 2500 employees,  I am quite familiar with the unemployment insurance system.

This was a federal program formed in the 1930s to help the suffering workers during the Great Depression.  It was designed to  provide approximately 50% pay to unemployed workers for 26 weeks.   To collect the payment, the worker must show proof of actively seeking new employment.

The UI is operated by state governments that funds the UI program via a tax on employers.  The tax rate can vary greatly based on the employers history of lay-offs, downsizing, etc.

The state UI then distributes the payments to qualified unemployed workers.

Does the UI program help deserving unemployed workers?   Absolutely

Is the program abused?  Same answer.

I have personal knowledge of unemployed workers that have been living on UI without seeking employment. 

One example of the abuse I observed in the was the use of union employees(working out of a union hall)  during hydro turbine outages.    These employees were hired by power companies  at high rates with much overtime to complete annual outage maintenance programs at the hydro plants in a short period of time.   Many of these workers, at their request, were often put on lay-off  to rest and vacation.

Of course drawing their UI insurance. until it ran out .

17 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

it is involved in negotiations between a union and management.  It is part of the price to put an employee

Exactly correct Steve.    I have been involved in these negotiations and the UI tax,  the 15% social security tax, health insurance, vacations, sick leave, holiday pay, utilities, real estate taxes, capital gains taxes, and wages were some of the company costs involved in determining  the burden rate ( the actual hourly cost to employ a worker).

When I retired  in 2004, the hourly wages was ~ $27/hour.    The employee burden rate was ~ $77/ hour.    The accurate fixing of this burden rate was critical in making competitive estimates for the large long term multimillion dollar contracts of the business.   In todays uncertain economics , I understand why any company is hesitant to make any decisions on expanding a business.

Again, I stand by my statement....it is economics.      Encouraging people not to work by indiscriminate payments causes supply shortages.  Excess printing of money results in inflation.

Both result in higher cost for raw materials and all products.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

stevasaurus

It sounds like some of you guys have forgotten that we still are living in a Pandemic.  People didn't quit their jobs, people did not want to lose their jobs...their jobs were closed down.  Quit paying people not to work...it has only been a few weeks that those under 65 years of age could even get vaccinated.  Those that want the shots now are getting their second ones at this moment and it still takes some time to become effective.  Have you guys forgotten the crash in 2008??  People were losing everything they ever had.  That is where the idea of helping people out came from...so when you could start working again, the country wouldn't be in the shape it was in back in 2008.  Economics 101,  keep the money flowing in the system.  That is the difference between 2008 and now.

Some of you are talking about people not looking for a job.  Really, most of last year, people were supposed to stay home and only go out for necessities.  There was no looking for a Job.  That door is just beginning to open and it is not opened yet.  My daughter just got her second shot last Friday.  She is not going to get her job back.  She will have to start over and find one.  Believe me, she wants to find a good job.  They are not out there yet.

What really bothers me, some of the statements that have been typed here, probably out of frustration, that just are not what is going on.  Economics 101 during a Pandemic??  That book has not been written yet, but you can take it to the bank, somebody will write it soon.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1

squonk

I am in Rochester NY today. Driving past strip malls, restaurants ect. Cars everywhere. I see NO HELP WANTED SIGNS ANYWHERE. Everything is busy. Parking lots full. No labor shortage here. Where I live, yes signs up. But they also pay a lot less.

I honestly feel some companies/ suppliers are actually holding back deliveries on product. Prices have increased and they want them to stay there.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2