Mickwhitt

Buying a new welder

Mickwhitt

Hi all, I've decided its time to buy a new arc welder to replace a turned transformer model I've had for some years.

The new inverter machines are smaller, lighter and more controllable so I'm going for one of those.

I have a great Mig set up for thin stuff but I prefer stick welding for anything beefy.

The one I'm looking at can also be used for Tig welding but I'm not sure I would ever use it never mind master the dark art lol.

I'd love to hear any comments or tips.

Mick 

JoeM

Got one a few years ago from Northern Tool. Mig/Stick with a spool gun attachment. Runs great. I use .030 wire with gas and welds even the thicker stuff, meaning 1/4". The stick welder runs so smooth too. Pretty much only use it when I can't fit the mig gun into where I need to weld, tight places.

Only thing I wish it had was a digital readout. But I have taken a marker and put dots on the dial when I settle on a setting that welds a thickness comfortably. 

• Like 3

ebinmaine

My knowledge of welding is pretty close to zero but I'm just going to sit down over here peaceful like and see if I can learn anything

• Haha 1

ranger

Hi Mick,

I bought one a few years ago, allegedly 200 amps, brand, “Stamos”, from Germany. It was more expensive than the current crop of inverters, but still not over the top. It has done everything I have ever asked of it over the years, no complaints! One thing, if you are used to an AC transformer machine, inverters are usually only DC, put in plenty of practice on scrap first, to recognise, and counter the effects of “Arc Blow” etc, AC doesn’t suffer from this. 

Doug.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WheelHorse520H
On 5/18/2021 at 12:02 PM, ebinmaine said:

My knowledge of welding is pretty close to zero but I'm just going to sit down over here peaceful like and see if I can learn anything

I will spectate this thread as well. I have welded a few times, really enjoy it, but don’t have the dough for a MIG machine yet......as handy as it would be.

On 5/18/2021 at 12:07 PM, ranger said:

One thing, if you are used to an AC transformer machine, inverters are usually only DC, put in plenty of practice on scrap first, to recognise, and counter the effects of “Arc Blow” etc, AC doesn’t suffer from this. 

I have welded with DC before but I have not heard of this “Arc Blow” you speak of, would you mind explaining?

ranger
2 minutes ago, WheelHorse520H said:

I will spectate this thread as well. I have welded a few times, really enjoy it, but don’t have the dough for a MIG machine yet......as handy as it would be.

I have welded with DC before but I have not heard of this “Arc Blow” you speak of, would you mind explaining?

Basically, “Arc Blow” is a condition whereby the arc starts to “wander” around the end of the welding rod, (Electrode) during the weld run. There are a number of ways to reduce the effects, re-positioning ground clamp to weld directly toward or away from it, using “jumper leads” across the parts being welded, wrapping the ground lead around the workpiece, (if possible) to form a coil. For more information, search YouTube for advice on combating this magnetic field phenomenon. AC “Buzz Box” welders don’t suffer from this due to polarity changing at 50/60 Hertz..

Doug.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WheelHorse520H

Ahhh, thank you @ranger, I have experienced that just never heard it called that.

Mickwhitt

20210522_160058.jpg.8dfaf53c743a823b6fc4f1a9fb1d17e1.jpg

This is the item, 200 Amps, very easy to control and it welds beautifully. 

The cables and electrode holder are so much beefier than my old one, much more Industrial. 

The welder itself weighs less than a couple of boxes of rods so its real easy to get to job sites. Also works off lo g extension cable runs or from my generator so I'm totally mobile. 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Maxwell-8

Have a MIG welder about the same size, with the argon gas inside the wire. Doesn't make the most beautiful welds.  but very usefull and easy to carry to the spot you need to weld. We use it more then the big welder. 

bc.gold
2 hours ago, Maxwell-8 said:

argon gas inside the wire.

Must be something new, never heard of argon gas inside wire however I have used flux core which is an entirely different animal, used alone makes horrible looking welds with lots of spatter.

Most welding shops use flux core with Co2 for shielding, tried it and was not happy with the results, went back to an argon mix.

Gas shielding don't work very good outdoors where a slight breeze carry's the gas away and for this very reason use stick when I have a job outdoors to weld.

• Like 1

Maxwell-8
14 minutes ago, bc.gold said:

Must be something new, never heard of argon gas inside wire however I have used flux core which is an entirely different animal, used alone makes horrible looking welds with lots of spatter.

Most welding shops use flux core with Co2 for shielding, tried it and was not happy with the results, went back to an argon mix.

Gas shielding don't work very good outdoors where a slight breeze carry's the gas away and for this very reason use stick when I have a job outdoors to weld.

Srry I indeed meant flux core, welds look pretty okey, don't have any problems with spatter, but hten again. Its mostly used outside were the welds don't really have to be art.

I do always have it on the highest setting for the best result. 

We don't weld enhough for the high cost of Those big argon bottles wich easly runs 70$ for filling a 3 gallon bottle and the bottle itself is an easy $450.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
56 minutes ago, samSh said:

hi everyone, a newbie from Montreal:)

Welcome aboard Sam!