Sign in to follow this  
ClassicTractorProfessor

Any old reel mower experts here?

ClassicTractorProfessor

Went to a Steam and gas engine show over the weekend, and picked up this old push reel mower at the swap meet. I’ve googled some on it with what markings I can find, but not finding much info on it. Would like to restore it to take along with us to shows

7BB2B84A-D3A7-42BC-A71B-8B61F5AE5DF1.jpeg

A66D9C19-3E47-4FE6-84C3-CCACF4216DC0.jpeg

EBC2ACE7-7AB9-4DB0-9406-7949331AAD4A.jpeg

66AD7138-C19A-40CF-BA66-1978997C0E2F.jpeg

8B863F7F-84A1-4FC9-B3E5-4781FCEB1524.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

roadapples

Remember having to push one of those when I was a kid...

• Like 1

Herder

No expert here, but I sure do like reel mowers.  I have found that info is very limited, when searched your lucky to find a few pics at best.  Don't let that slow you down. 

IMG_1732.JPG.89d81a98c1dd591399859d2c7993be49.JPG 

• Like 3

squonk

I know when you're pulling a gang of 5 reel mowers on a golf course and you hit a swampy area, the reel mowers sink! 

• Haha 3

tom2p

A9B9C489-FBB6-40F9-A3D0-3D4653D95F4C.png

my kid pulls a reel mower with this RC truck 

Edited by tom2p
  • Like 1
  • Heart 1

OutdoorEnvy
On 5/9/2021 at 5:08 PM, HandyProfessor said:

Went to a Steam and gas engine show over the weekend

Hey I was there this weekend too in Pawnee!  Neat show.  It was my first time going.  Took my son and enjoyed the odd exhaust aroma of a steam engine...I was hoping there would have been more tractor implements and stuff to buy but still neat.  That was quite the manual hoard that one vendor had.  Never seen so many in one place like that...  Anyways, cool find on the vintage reel mower.  Looking forward to seeing it restored when you're done!

Edited by OutdoorEnvy
  • Like 1

ClassicTractorProfessor
9 hours ago, OutdoorEnvy said:

Hey I was there this weekend too in Pawnee!  Neat show.  It was my first time going.  Took my son and enjoyed the odd exhaust aroma of a steam engine...I was hoping there would have been more tractor implements and stuff to buy but still neat.  That was quite the manual hoard that one vendor had.  Never seen so many in one place like that...  Anyways, cool find on the vintage reel mower.  Looking forward to seeing it restored when you're done!

Hey...nice to know we have another member from Oklahoma here, doesn’t seem to be too many of us in this part of the country. Yes the show in Pawnee was great, it was our first time going too. Pawnee was always one of my late friend Rodger’s favorite shows, we had planned on taking his 51 Farmall M that I now own, but it just wasn’t in the cards for this year. Not sure if you know about it or not, but the Major County Historical Society has a great show in Fairview every September as well, the dates this year are September 24-25. 

• Thanks 1

OutdoorEnvy
52 minutes ago, HandyProfessor said:

Hey...nice to know we have another member from Oklahoma here, doesn’t seem to be too many of us in this part of the country. Yes the show in Pawnee was great, it was our first time going too. Pawnee was always one of my late friend Rodger’s favorite shows, we had planned on taking his 51 Farmall M that I now own, but it just wasn’t in the cards for this year. Not sure if you know about it or not, but the Major County Historical Society has a great show in Fairview every September as well, the dates this year are September 24-25. 

Thanks for the heads up on the Fairview show.  I'll keep it in mind for the calendar.  I like the old Farmalls.  Hoping one day I get to do a big tractor and one like that would be really cool.  Yeah I know Wheel Horses are around our parts but they aren't as common as the north.  Took a while before I finally found one.  I'm hoping to come across a snow blade but that's probably a tough item here.  Maybe help keep an eye out for me and let me know if you every come across one. 

Wheel Horse 3D

Ive got a local buddy that has a few snow blades he wants rid of, What model were ya looking to put it on?

Edited by Wheel Horse 3D

OutdoorEnvy
24 minutes ago, Wheel Horse 3D said:

Ive got a local buddy that has a few snow blades he wants rid of, What model were ya looking to put it on?

312-8, from 1985.

Wheel Horse 3D

So any of these should work

1980 model 06-42BC01 - (Last blade to have a loose A-frame crossbar #7701)

1981-1984 model 06-42BC02 (Up to here including this one they are 42" wide) and (First blade to have a welded-in rear A-frame crossbar)

1984-1989 model 06-48BC01 (They are now 48" wide) - replaced by the following

1990 model 06-48BC02 (Last blade to have 3 angle positions)

Might be some others but i'm just going by the interchangability chart, ill see what he's got and try to sniff ya out one! His may be older than those but i'll check to be sure.