Sign in to follow this  
hodge

Any ideas on what is up?

hodge

I had a wierd experience today. I have a Ford work van for sale locally, and it has been on the market a while now. It is an 04, like new, very low miles and very reasonable price. There just isn't a market around here right now. Anybody using a work van has no work...

Anyways, I got a call from a guy who had seen the ad. He wasn't from our area, but is somewhere in VA. He wanted to rent the van for a few hours, and then, next month, maybe buy it. I'm thinking, What? Are you kidding me? I kindly told him that it was for sale, not rent. He persisted. He wanted to rent it for a few hours, and then maybe buy it next month. I told him again that I wasn't interested in that. He asked why, and I told him that I wanted to sell it, needed the money out of it, and was not interested in renting it. He repeated his offer, telling me that he had another vehicle he could leave with me for colatteral, and that he would draw up a contract. My mind was racing- if he is so needy for a van, why not rent one from Enterprise or another company like that? After 4 go rounds, I told him (truthfully) that the van was at a Ford dealership, that the dealership was brokering it for me, and I had no intention to disrupt that. He then repeated his offer! Any ideas? I can not imagine that he would be above board, and I have no doubt that he wouldn't be around to buy it next month. If I even got it back. I try my best to trust people, and I do all my business on a handshake. It has never failed me, and I don't want to see the day that I have to operate differently. But in this case, I did not have a good feeling, nor did I trust the guy. I just can't imagine the audacity to call a person up you don't know, and propose this.

Anybody ever have a similar experience?

Just Piddling

I think you did the right thing. Craigslist is getting worse for scams and crimes. I still use it, but you have to be careful.

Jim_M

A number of years ago the Outlaws motorcycle club was using work vans to steal motorcycles in my area. They would roll up in front of a parked bike, 2 guys would jump out the back, push the bike up a ramp and they were gone in a minute or less.

They finally caught them by putting a bike in an easily accessible location and hiding some unmarked cars in the area.

hodge

A number of years ago the Outlaws motorcycle club was using work vans to steal motorcycles in my area. They would roll up in front of a parked bike, 2 guys would jump out the back, push the bike up a ramp and they were gone in a minute or less.

They finally caught them by putting a bike in an easily accessible location and hiding some unmarked cars in the area.

It's interesting you should say that, Jim. Right after 9/11, one of our business vans went missing. We turned it in to the local police, and by the end of that day, the report was in- the van was found abandoned in the parking lot of the Pentagon (about 2 1/2 hours away). The DC police scoured the van (stolen white service van at the Pentagon- you can inagine). We didn't get it back for a month. Turned out, thieves stole the van, went to Wayne Cycle and stole some bikes using the van, drove it to DC, stole another van, and transfered the bikes into it.

Maybe they are getting more gentlemanly- rent the van instead of stealing it...

Jim_M

Whatever he wanted it for you can bet he was up to no good or he would go to a rental place and rent one.

Duff

Hodge, a fair amount of my work involves fraud investigations. Your gut and instincts are right on - keep a whole lot of space between you and this deal. I'm sure Jack, Jim (Linen Beige) and few other fellows with cop shop backgrounds will agree completely!

If you have any relationship with your local PD, I'd give them a "heads up" on what happened as well. If this guy wants your van as bad as it sounds like he does, I'd be keeping a close eye on it. You say it's for sale locally but this guy is from somewhere else in Virginia? Wonder how he heard about it........or if he's really from that far away.....

Duff :omg:

Operator

New scams everyday isn't there. Who is to say the vehicle he would leave with you wouldn't have been stolen?

Randy

hodge

The van has been advertised locally in a Bulletin Board, as well as Craigslist. So, it wouldn't be hard for him to zero in on me. The van is now on the lot of a local Ford dealership, being handled by them. The owner is a friend, and although it is being offered as one of their vehicles, the money goes to me. Therefore, it would be difficult for this guy to find the van. I am not worried about that. I also think I will definitely let the local police know about the incident. I am sure that he will contact others. And the idea of the colatteral vehicle being stolen is probably true- maybe my van would have wound up as colatteral for the next person...

stevasaurus

one of the other scams that happens...they will send you a cashiers check for alot more than you are asking...they say just give the extra money to whoever shows up the pick up your stuff. The check turns out to be no good, and you are out your stuff and the extra money you pulled from the bank. Tell them, you will hold your stuff until the check clears and you will call them then...usually 2 weeks. If it is legit, they will wait...if not you will know right away. To bad a few people have to make a good thing something to be afraid of. Bottom line....if it sounds to good to be true...it is. Trust your feelings and let us know, like you did, about new scams.

mods...this is only going to get worse in this economy...how about a place to put things like this for us to read and be made aware? a possible scam post place. :thumbs2:

HorseFixer

I would contact my local Law Enforcement Agency. Tell them the story and maybe one of the officers will fill in, in your place :thumbs2: Maybe this could be an interview type investigation. If not catch the guy in the act they may just scare the chit outta him! :thumbs: