SylvanLakeWH

1982 C-85 Black Hoodie

SylvanLakeWH

Proper burial forthcoming…:deadhorse:

Will use the shroud for a wall clock so all’s not lost… :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

WHX??

Nice to see you retained yer sense of humor over it Sylvia! Go twist off a lid and we'll think about this... trashed block make dandy door stops too..... :lol:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Maxwell-8

image.png.722eed22c183ab16307ca68afbfe9031.png

You ain't gone fix that with JB weld. 

Spun main bearing such a shame, maybe ran with a leaking carburetor before you got it.  Gas mixes with the oil, washing of all the oil.  Blew a 1971 Briggs 8hp that way.

DSC_1006.JPG.7c45f90e23f1852bbb7743173ecb4240.JPG

DSC_1007.JPG.9048b23bf0b3ef8ec27cac9599497558.JPG

Also the hole the oil has to come trhu was very small on it for a splash lube engine.  

Could it also be, that the oilsplasher bents over time not giving the right angle? 

Edited by Maxwell-8
  • Like 1

Handy Don
55 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Well… I’m thinking JB weld might work… then again maybe not…:eusa-think:

Oh well…:(

"And so we say a fond farewell to ...".  Guess you can save the externals in a box and recycle the rest.

• Like 1

Pullstart

All that lovin’ black hoods... and that’s what you get?  No fun.  I’ll give ya a good deal on a 9 horse Lifan!  Leaks a little :ROTF:

• Haha 1

squonk

Who said the rod hit the cam? :teasing-neener: Saw it all the way from. NY! The old man's still got it! :)

Edited by squonk
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

SylvanLakeWH
39 minutes ago, squonk said:

Who said the rod hit the cam? :teasing-neener: Saw it all the way from. NY! The old man's still got it! :)

You win! :clap:

I’ll send you the pieces for a trophy!!! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Haha 1

squonk
2 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

You win! :clap:

I’ll send you the pieces for a trophy!!! :handgestures-thumbupright:

I've got a "Shelf of Shame " already started. 2 broken rods with pistons attached! :helmet:

sos.jpg.acbea0493c6bdeb233985cb62d6b5f85.jpg

• Haha 1

Maxwell-8
33 minutes ago, squonk said:

I've got a "Shelf of Shame " already started. 2 broken rods with pistons attached! :helmet:

:text-yeahthat:Mine consists out of just one. Not planning on expanding it anytime soon.:lol:

• Haha 1

Handy Don

@squonk, how many drawers say "A/C Parts"? :)

squonk
4 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

@squonk, how many drawers say "A/C Parts"? :)

Just those 2 drawers plus the O ring drawer

Handy Don
Just now, squonk said:

Just those 2 drawers plus the O ring drawer

My grandfather had at least 5 coffee cans labeled "nails". 

Worked with a newbie, wet behind the ears engineer who every time he printed a document he'd been working on he wrote "latest version" on the top. He had several on his desk at any one time. Finally I couldn't help but suggest he start writing "old version" on the one he was working on before picking up the new one. "Hey, that's a good idea!" said he.  Turned out to be a crackerjack engineer after he got his feet under him!

• Haha 1

SylvanLakeWH

Ok folks...

Time for crazy...:occasion-clown: But I am serious with the question.

I have two electric motors (1 off a compressor, 1 still in use ancient grinding wheel) that are 1.5 hp and ~1.0 hp respectively (supposedly)... Can I use an inverter and 1 - 3 car batteries to create a very low powered electric tractor with one of the motors to just tool around on? I'm thinking 12 - 36 v on a 1200 - 1500 w inverter (or something like that). I would use the WH standard clutching - so motor would be "on" or "Off". No controller. This would be for fun - not work. Kid rides etc... speed is not needed.

Thoughts? Things to consider? Appreciate your ideas cuz this electric stuff is foreign to me... (Including all :occasion-clown:'s...)

Kinda like this:

E92BC895-D5BE-4D08-BB15-03955C88C94B.jpeg

Edited by SylvanLakeWH
Added pic

Gregor

I have absolutely no idea. I would suggest a very loooooooooooonng drop cord. :thumbs:

Sounds like a question for @Tractorhead

Edited by Gregor
  • Haha 3

Handy Don

I'd look to battery powered golf carts as your template.

They tend to have 4-6 deep cycle batteries, 24- or 48-volt motors with direct drive (chain or gears) since belts cost energy.

The idea is viable on the terms you noted--relatively short range/time between charges and low loading.

The inverter is not as efficient as direct drive, and 110v motors vary a lot in efficiency as well. You'll have to do the math on the battery, inverter, math, load equation.

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

Gregor
2 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

You'll have to do the math on the battery, inverter, math, load equation.

I'll bet there's an app for that!

• Thanks 1

WHX??

Yer engineer has spoken Silvia... now I say here  hold my beer and watch this.... :lol:B):lol:B):lol::hilarious::handgestures-thumbupright:

Whoops didn't  mean to post that many mogies.... and I was just gonna say Greg musta just twisted off a lid for triples.....:)

Edited by WHX24
  • Haha 3

SylvanLakeWH
1 hour ago, Handy Don said:

I'd look to battery powered golf carts as your template.

They tend to have 4-6 deep cycle batteries, 24- or 48-volt motors with direct drive (chain or gears) since belts cost energy.

The idea is viable on the terms you noted--relatively short range/time between charges and low loading.

The inverter is not as efficient as direct drive, and 110v motors vary a lot in efficiency as well. You'll have to do the math on the battery, inverter, math, load equation.

Good luck!

:text-thankyouyellow: Appreciate the input!

Confirms my thinking. :confusion-confused:

I don’t like math… :ychain: I tend to :tools-hammerdrill: and adjust as I go…

• Like 1

Maxwell-8

We have a big machine for cleaning the shop/driveway.(self-driven) Uses a 24v motor, the deep cycle battery's went out. so replaced it with 2 car battery's because they are like 4x cheaper. We get well over 1 hour of work out of those 2 car-battery's.  And the electric motor is conected with the rest thru..... yup a belt.

DSC_0401.JPG.c2df6b88b8587fbe0f8c5f827a2ed940.JPG

DSC_0403.JPG.578bf416a4b97fddabfabfaf8fafe437.JPG

A car battery is 70A hour 12v, so 840w if it can be drained completly. so 2 battery's can deliver A maximum 1680w or 2.25 hp for an hour. 

Edited by Maxwell-8
  • Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH

@Handy Don and @Maxwell-8 thank you for the input! 

Do you think a single car battery would be sufficient? Looking at 15-30 minutes max use at a time. Light duty… slow speeds… just up and down street pulling kids… seems like it should be adequate based on the street sweeping example above… 

With the type motor I’m looking at, can it handle the belt / clutch  load? No pto use other than driving…

What size inverter would be required? 1500 adequate?

Appreciate your input!

• Like 1

Maxwell-8
10 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

With the type motor I’m looking at, can it handle the belt / clutch  load? No pto use other than driving…

Normally should not be a problem, they are made for side loads. It has a belt pulley already on it.

single car battery would be sufficient? Looking at 15-30 minutes max use at a time.

I would say, try it, and otherwise, add an extra. But if you go 24v, the wires to the inverter don't need to be that tick.

What size inverter would be required? 1500 adequate?

Would be the smallest you wanne go. is +/- 2hp, but it depends on the watts your motor can put out. Just went back to your first 'electric post. If they are 1.5 hp, you should be good with a 1500w inverter. 

Edited by Maxwell-8
  • Thanks 1

WHX??
11 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

I don’t like math… :ychain:

I got my shoes off we gotta count past ten big guy! :D

• Haha 2

Tractorhead

To say it with radio eriwan,

in principe yes, but...

Instead a 1KW or 1,8KW 24V Motor like ebikes or some E-Scooters using seems to be a much better solution.

To have the motor is a option, but to run it via an Inverter is another task.

The most cheaper inverters have troubles by starting a bigger E- Motors.

that depends also on the phases the motor have.

3 phase motors have a small box aside with 3 jumper rows they be typically described as UVW,

where they can be switched with jumperwires on star or triangle connection, depending on the needs.

on a 3 phase motor mostly a Start condenser is used to build a missed phase,

but this technical clamp have its disadvantages in case of cheap (unstabilized) inverters

The starting current can be up to 2-3 times the current the motor needs while it runs.

Trapezodial inverters are more worse in Starting e- Motors.

A pure Sine inverter is a good base to start,

based on a 1 KW motor i would begin with a 2KW Sine inverter as minimum requirements.

less Power can run but the reserve is very close this inverter than have to it‘s limit.

The inverter with a motor as a load needs a good heat dissipation, because the motor is an inductive load

that bring it quick to heat. Some trapezodial inverters dies quick when using with inductive load.

That combo under the dashline will be mostly more expensive.

The most 24V DC scootermotors i meant runs at 3400RPM, what is similar to an Horizontal Engine, but with just 1-1,8 KW.

some also needs 36V ( means three batteries) they should be than charged in parallel and drained in serial.

1 KW is for riding a tractor useful.

Because the most Sit on mower drives have sometimes also only 500-1500W as riding Power calculated.

That is enough to move a Tractor ( even a wheelhorse) depending on used gear not tooo slow.

on a 3 phase Motor i would go also via an frequency converter.

So you can regulate even the speed of the motor in a wide rpm band. 

• Thanks 1

bds1984

I think it is time to look for an electric golf cart and "borrow" the parts and pieces from it to make it electric and call it something like an E85.

• Thanks 1

Tractorhead

T think it‘s time to get an Fit Engine and put it in..😎