WheelHorse520H

Onan P220 surging/hunting at operate

Jeff-C175
Just now, Handy Don said:

Seriously important to keep debris out of the engine.

For sure!

Like this, not good.

image.png.6ae9705a62e2aad8b1894e1cda58c863.png

• Like 1

WheelHorse520H

So here’s what I accomplished today(mostly some busy work until I get my paint and gaskets):

Cylinder Heads: cleaned (kind of, need to use a stronger cleaner)

Valve Covers: removed and

cleaned

Valve Tappets: protected by paper towels.

I plan to finish sandblasting the exhaust pieces tomorrow because they are very rusty, enough that it might take half a day to remove.

Anyway thanks everyone for the help and happy motoring,

Andrew

• Like 1

lynnmor
13 hours ago, WheelHorse520H said:

Cylinder Heads: cleaned (kind of, need to use a stronger cleaner)

Oven cleaner will cut the baked on crud, just wash them good with soap and hot water when done.

• Like 1

WheelHorse520H
18 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

Oven cleaner will cut the baked on crud, just wash them good with soap and hot water when done.

That’s right, I remember you mentioning that before.

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
2 hours ago, lynnmor said:

Oven cleaner

Stay away from any aluminum if there is any.

It won't permanently damage it unless you let it soak for a long time, but it will discolor it to a dark gray.

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 1

WheelHorse520H
2 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Stay away from any aluminum if there is any.

What do you suggest I try to clean the aluminum cylinder heads? I’ve tried engine degreaser but that doesn’t work too well.

• Like 1

lynnmor
3 minutes ago, WheelHorse520H said:

What do you suggest I try to clean the aluminum cylinder heads? I’ve tried engine degreaser but that doesn’t work too well.

I've used the oven cleaner without issue but I know better than to leave it on for long.  I have also glass beaded the heads to make them perfectly clean.  If glass beading you should true the gasket surface, but that should be done anyway.

• Like 1

WheelHorse520H
3 hours ago, lynnmor said:

true the gasket surface, but that should be done anyway.

What do you mean by true the surface?

I did some more blasting today but the rust on the muffler and heat shield is just not coming off, does all of it need to be completely rust-free? Or can I paint over it…photos below.

D7314B1B-58EA-4369-95B5-8E9E3FDADE29.jpeg

3127FBB7-FE56-409A-A454-A614640F2752.jpeg

26FA7156-CBE5-478F-9A21-166A5D9510CE.jpeg

8724D34A-9605-4575-A169-D754E00A5819.jpeg

B55AD39C-5667-4390-B086-9F2BAC2E6E6B.jpeg

• Like 1

kpinnc

I have never had a muffler that didn't re-rust after painting, even using high temp rust killing paint on sandblasted perfectly clean steel. My tractors are stored under a roof, but the humidity is pretty high here in NC. Probably a factor. 

It takes time, but they all do it eventually.

I said all that only to say making  the muffler perfect now can be a bit of a dissapointment later. As expensive as mufflers are, they should be made of stainless steel!

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 1

WheelHorse520H
1 hour ago, kpinnc said:

I have never had a muffler that didn't re-rust after painting, even using high temp rust killing paint on sandblasted perfectly clean steel. My tractors are stored under a roof, but the humidity is pretty high here in NC. Probably a factor. 

It takes time, but they all do it eventually.

I said all that only to say making  the muffler perfect now can be a bit of a dissapointment later. As expensive as mufflers are, they should be made of stainless steel!

Okay, thanks for the heads up, I won’t remember that by next week but at least I won’t waste time blasting anything just for it to come back. Thank you for the advice.

Andrew

• Like 1

lynnmor
2 hours ago, WheelHorse520H said:

What do you mean by true the surface?

I did some more blasting today but the rust on the muffler and heat shield is just not coming off, does all of it need to be completely rust-free? Or can I paint over it…photos below.

To true a head surface, you need a perfectly flat surface, some use a glass pane but I use my cast iron vertical band saw table that I know to be flat.  You place 400 grit paper on the clean surface and move the head about in a figure 8 pattern till the surface is touched all over.

I don't know what media or pressures you are using to blast, but I completely clean using fine glass beads, yes it takes some time.  When complete, I wash the parts with dish soap and hot water and blow out the seams.  The surface will flash rust quickly, so be ready to get a light coat on right away.  I've had little trouble with rusting after coating with Rustoleum High Temperature paint but some touch up is done when other work requires exhaust removal.

• Like 1

Horse Newbie
4 hours ago, kpinnc said:

My tractors are stored under a roof

Just a roof, or roof and enclosed walls( shed ) ?

kpinnc
1 minute ago, Horse Newbie said:

Just a roof, or roof and enclosed walls( shed ) ?

Enclosed walls, but not air conditioned.

• Haha 1

Horse Newbie
1 hour ago, kpinnc said:

Enclosed walls, but not air conditioned.

What ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!... My other tractors are in a shed. My Wheel Horses are in a climate controlled building, with piped in music, soft lighting, carpeted floor !...:D...

Nahhh...but they are kept inside...

kpinnc
1 hour ago, Horse Newbie said:

What ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!... My other tractors are in a shed. My Wheel Horses are in a climate controlled building, with piped in music, soft lighting, carpeted floor !...:D...

Nahhh...but they are kept inside...

What I would give for an air conditioned shop... Or just heated in winter. Probably good I don't have it. My family would think I moved out.  :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

WheelHorse520H

Thank you for the directions, @lynnmor. Just to clarify, after blasting the cylinder heads and washing them I spray them with compressed air and paint them using Rustoleum High Temp. I shall get started with that tomorrow or Tuesday.

Thank you,

Andrew

Horse Newbie

@WheelHorse520H...I think @lynnmor was talking about the muffler...but I may be mistaken...

Horse Newbie
2 hours ago, WheelHorse520H said:

Thank you for the directions, @lynnmor. Just to clarify, after blasting the cylinder heads and washing them I spray them with compressed air and paint them using Rustoleum High Temp. I shall get started with that tomorrow or Tuesday.

Thank you,

Andrew

See post # 67

Edited by Horse Newbie

WheelHorse520H
1 hour ago, Horse Newbie said:

@WheelHorse520H...I think @lynnmor was talking about the muffler...but I may be mistaken...

That’s why I wanted to confirm, so I don’t mess anything up. Otherwise I will end up with a new engine…which is a lot of $$$.

• Like 1

lynnmor
5 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

Yes, the muffler.  Heads and blocks can have a mist of engine paint if color is desired, but bare will have the best cooling.

After blasting I wash and blow dry the exhaust to quickly get the water out of seams and speed the first application of paint.  It is amazing just how quickly rust develops on blasted and washed parts.

• Like 1

WheelHorse520H
1 minute ago, lynnmor said:

Yes, the muffler.  Heads and blocks can have a mist of engine paint if color is desired, but bare will have the best cooling.

After blasting I wash and blow dry the exhaust to quickly get the water out of seams and speed the first application of paint.  It is amazing just how quickly rust develops on blasted and washed parts.

Okay, so not blasting the heads, got it. Thank you for clarifying that, that could have ended badly.

• Like 1

lynnmor
2 minutes ago, WheelHorse520H said:

Okay, so not blasting the heads, got it. Thank you for clarifying that, that could have ended badly.

Here is what I wrote:

"I've used the oven cleaner without issue but I know better than to leave it on for long.  I have also glass beaded the heads to make them perfectly clean.  If glass beading you should true the gasket surface, but that should be done anyway."

I use a very fine glass bead in my blaster and I do blast the heads.  If you blast the surface where the head gasket seals, the blasting can remove a small amount of metal, that is why I said "If glass beading you should true the gasket surface."

• Like 2

WheelHorse520H
1 hour ago, lynnmor said:

I use a very fine glass bead in my blaster and I do blast the heads.  If you blast the surface where the head gasket seals, the blasting can remove a small amount of metal, that is why I said "If glass beading you should true the gasket surface."

Okay, I will see how the oven cleaner does, if I need to blast it after the oven cleaner then I will. Thanks again for all the help.

Andrew

• Like 1

WheelHorse520H

Okay so, I painted the exhaust and heat shield, I just have a little touch up work to do there, I plan to clean the carb tomorrow because it is too humid for painting. I will post pictures when the painting is done. I will probably also do some cleaning on the cylinder heads tomorrow as well.

Edited by WheelHorse520H
  • Excellent 1

WheelHorse520H

Okay, so I learned that onanparts.com is not taking orders until August 8th. Where have people had good luck finding the gaskets I need?