Ed Kennell

Frost Damage

Ed Kennell

The orchards   in Adams County around the Big Show  area have been hit hard by the frost.  Probably losing all fruit that  was in blossom. 

My plum, pear, and one apple tree were in blossom.    Mine are small enough that  I could cover them, but they still look like they have damage.   Probably lost all my fruit this year.

It was 28F at 6AM and the same forecast for tomorrow.

:sad:  :(  :sad-darkcloud:

• Sad 13

Pullstart

I’ve heard of employing helicopters to hover over crops in a hard frost, or spraying water to encapsulate them.  @Maxwell-8 that’s such a unique method of fixing the issue!  

• Like 2

seuadr

we have a fairly large orchard near here that use these huge fans, i guess the idea is that it mixes the inversion layer with the colder layer near the earth. couldn't say how effective they are, but i thought it was interesting.

sorry about your loss :/

ranger
1 hour ago, Maxwell-8 said:

We live in "haspengouw", the region is know for it's fruit trees. Apple, pear and cherries. We have had some frost here as well. farmers stayed up all night, keeping their fires lit to rescue the blossoms.

In beeld: Vuurkorven beschermen jonge bloesems tegen de ...

They keep telling us to eat less meat because of, “Climate Change”. If the bureaucrats see these pictures, we’ll be told to eat less fruit as well! 🍏🍎🍒🍐

Doug.

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 5

Ed Kennell

I don't think the smudge pots, helicopters, or fans would have worked here last night.  We had  20-30MPH NW winds all night.

May be the water spray would have worked, but I wasn't staying up all night to spray trees.

Snow flurries now.       May have to fire up the wood burner.

102_2895.JPG.52c6296e6f54b0b3fc304d92d7fbdfeb.JPG

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 6

DennisThornton

26F here early this morning!  Lots of trees in first bloom...  2-3" on the grass with a bit on the streets here and there.  Week away from May!

• Sad 2

cafoose

My outside sink with hot and cold running water didn't freeze :greetings-clappingyellow:

20210414_142112.jpg

• Like 2

clueless

Walked outside this morning with my coffee, 48F :o went back inside.

• Haha 1

oliver2-44

Our February Texas Deep Freeze killed many fruit and other shade trees.  I was talking to a very knowable Horticulturalist lady at a Nursery and she said many of the trees that died would survive farther North since they are acclimatized to cold as they grow up.  Here the +/-9F was just such a shock to the trees. it was a shock to me too.   I hope to start a year long Master Gardener class in June if COVID lets the class happen. 

• Like 1