bc.gold

Wisconsin / Onan CCK acid test

bc.gold

Left side Wisconsin, Onan old frying pan.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Confused 1

Ed Kennell

What  am I looking at?

bc.gold
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

What  am I looking at?

The nitric acid reacted with the metals which were used in each manufactures secret foundry casting formula, in the image to the left Wisconsin the acid ran off onto the board, the blotter spot looks almost black or a very dark red which would indicate nickle. The red is more evident on the board.

The cooling fin from the Onan CCK looks orange, possibly chrome.

The cast iron frying pan has no special alloys added.

Both the early Wisconsin and Onan engines were marketed as Industrial with a reputation for longevity.

i was curious how the Kohler engines stacked up against this pair American icons but my request for a casting sample went without a response, was going to send the casing sample along with these for an XRF analysis. Now that I've sold off my Allis 720, I'm no longer involved with the hobby.

I have a petri dish with an Onan sample that was completely dissolved with nitric acid has some interesting color, he color comes  from alloys added into the foundry formula. Its this dish that prompted my curiosity to investigate further,

I'll bet the Chinese clones have no specially formulated casting alloys, you get what you pay for.

Edited by bc.gold
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

bc.gold

The cylinders on the V4 Wisconsin are detachable from the crankcase thus allowing the manufacture to limit their use of expensive casting alloys.

Not much different from engine manufactures who choose wet or dry cylinder liners, the liners made from superior metal alloys while the engine block itself made from a more economical casting formula.

The problem originates at the scrap yards, automobiles and appliances are shredded about the only separation is aluminum and copper the rest goes as shred which is mostly made into rebar.

Our supply of exotic metals like vanadium and nickle are in short supply copper nickle and silver coinage long ago been replaced with other metals, steel mills pay a premium for what they call heavy melt and foundry's pay upwards of $1200.00 ton for castings having abrasion resistance.

Why It Makes Sense to Use Chrome White Iron in the Mining Industry

Posted by Penticton Foundry on March 31, 2021

Chrome white iron, ASTM A532, is known for its abrasion resistant properties. Indeed, the presence of carbides, as well as its combination of toughness and fatigue strength, make chrome white iron particularly effective for transporting abrasive medium.

Read: This case study outlines how chrome white iron was used to replace an AR plate apron feed liner, saving the mine millions in downtime.

Edited by bc.gold

bc.gold

In the petri dish image I used nitric acid to dissolve some of the metal then a chemical called DMG to develop the salts.  Over night the blotter absorbed some moisture which has dispersed the metal ions. The Wisconsin now clearly shows the secret ingredient as orange.

From the long forgotten petri dish I have now been able to prove that both Wisconsin and Onan used nickle in their casting alloys, the DMG turns nickle orange.

First image Nickel(II) nitrate, from the Wikipedia page.

Second image, Onan cast sample dissolved in nitric acid

Third image, Wisconsin / Onan nitric acid and DMG

Fourth image, an example of stannous chloride as a developer to  reveal the color of various metal ions.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by bc.gold
  • Like 1

bc.gold

Using DMG gave an orange color which indicates a mixed species of metal ions whch altered the expected results.

Was expecting this.

spacer.png

bc.gold

John Deere cylinder head a part of the engine that does not experience wear, just the valve guides are replaceable. The casting was toughened up with vanadium. i did an acid test on a wrench made from vanadium alloy for a comparison.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png