Gregor

A Wheel Horse Speaks

Pullstart

:text-thankyouyellow:

:eusa-clap:

:handgestures-thumbupright:

What a great poem, thanks for sharing!  You mentioned you had done this in another way in ‘17.  I’d still like to read that one too :handgestures-thumbupright:

Gregor

My father in law bought this Massey new in 1975. When he retired from farming and moved to town, he bought a smaller tractor, and gave the Massey to me. (1985 ??? or there about) I used it to mow, and clear snow from my parking lot. When I sold my business, I gave it to my daughter and her husband. (2002 maybe)She always wanted "Grandpas" tractor. Let's just say my son in law was (and still is) a little lax in taking care of things. In my opinion anyway. If the tractor ran out of gas, it simply sat there. Sometimes for weeks. He finally bought a new Cub, and left the Massey parked out behind the shed.It sat there for a couple of years. I was there one day and told him to load it on a trailer. I was repossessing it. As far as my daughter is concerned it is still her tractor. I assume some day, it will be again. I'm not sure what Wes would think of it now, he wasn't much for frills.

I am a Massey Ferguson, 14 horse power strong

Start me in the morning, and I'll run all day long

I'll mow the grass, push the snow, and even turn the soil

Just fill me up with gasoline, and please check my oil

My owner used me every day

I didn't ask for much

A little washing, an oil change

now and then, a tune up

I got bumped and bruised, and scratched in different places

But time and time I proved myself, going through my paces

Then one day my owner came home

with a new machine of green

“That looks like a toy” I said

what the hell is that thing

He used that thing to mow some grass

and do some smaller stuff

But when the work got serious

he broke me out, I was tough

After 30 years I was handed down

to his son in law

And after ten more

I was handed down

To his son in laws, son in law.

I worked a while longer yet

groaning a bit with age

lo and behold he came home with something yellow

I was in a rage

The years had taken it's toll on me

I was looking pretty rough

My motor spit and sputtered

I was filled with dirt and rust

I was delegated to a shed

returning ,slowly, slowly, to dust

To let me waste away like this I thought it was wrong

I am a Massey Ferguson 14 horse power strong

And then one day my second owner

came back and saw me there

He looked at me and shook his head

I need tender, loving, care

He took me home and washed me off

I wasn't much to look at

He scratched his head the way guys do

and thought “I think I can fix that,

The wrenches came out, the bolts removed

I was laying there in pieces

In buckets cans and jars were parts

I looked like a pile of “feces”

He'd work for hours

and was happy to,

Now thank God and Massey

he had something to do

I wanted back together

it shouldn't take too long

He'd work till dark, go inside

and promise to come later

I sure hope so, I miss my tires, my bolts and nuts,

and my carburetor

Sometimes he'd go fishing

leave me all alone

I wanted him to come back

“Get your dumb ass home”

It took a while, some cuss words

a smashed finger with a tear

Some paint and polish, a little cash

And a whooooole lot of beer

I feel much better now

I'm back together again

new wires and switches, and best of all

new paint on all my tin

Now I feel like a million bucks

and he says that I should

But if he had the chance again

I'm certain that he would

I am back to greatness

feeling like King Kong

1104902738_20210412_062432_001(2).thumb.jpg.03dfa197e3b745a609d27344e4deee16.jpg

Edited by Gregor
  • Sad 2

Pullstart
10 minutes ago, Gregor said:

bought a new Cub

Not to take from your poem or story, but I was on the phone the other day with a buddy.  He says “You’ll be so proud of me, I got tired of that old mower and went to the Home Depot and bought a brand new Husqvarna the other day.”

I couldn’t be prouder :handgestures-thumbupright:  :hide:

• Sad 2

squonk
3 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Not to take from your poem or story, but I was on the phone the other day with a buddy.  He says “You’ll be so proud of me, I got tired of that old mower and went to the Home Depot and bought a brand new Husqvarna the other day.”

I couldn’t be prouder :handgestures-thumbupright:  :hide:

Best friend from HS texted me last month. He was getting rid of his old White (MTD) rider and wanted a recommendation. Husqvarna? Cub Cadet? I looked quickly on FBMPLACE and found a 314-8 that looked mint 20 miles from him for less than a new junky Husky or CC. I tried to explain to him the cheapness of the frames and the plastic gears in the engines ect. But he wanted new. So he bought the cheaper model of the CC. He says it should last until he's too old to mow his yard. He's not 62 yet. I guess he plans on stopping when he's 65. :rolleyes:

• Haha 5
  • Sad 2

Gregor
2 minutes ago, squonk said:

He says it should last until he's too old to mow his yard. He's not 62 yet. I guess he plans on stopping when he's 65

Must have a small yard.

• Like 1

squonk

CC has a 3 yr. warranty. :rolleyes:

The Tuul Crib

Just say no.... to big box junk!

Sorry !  Am l too harsh?......   Nah!

• Like 2

Gregor

Took me a bit to find this pic. It's been a while.

1738687744_Tractor1.JPG.7d81d2c230446ef1e33bccd54871c5d0.JPG

For any newbies out there wondering what it might cost to rebuild a tractor, the answer is, as much as you want to spend. This is what I spent on my first rebuild. The wheels, tires, and seat are not included here. Also, I paid a small engine shop to do the motor. "Those that can do. Those that can't, pay those that can" That's the way the world works.

Keep in mind, this was written in 2017

When I started to rebuild this tractor back in April, I wondered just how much it would cost. I looked through threads on this forum and others, but never really found an answer. I realize now that what it costs depends on what a particular tractor needs, and how much an individual is willing to spend on their own project. It can vary a great deal. I hesitate to call this a “restoration” as I did not have the tractor professionally painted. I did talk to my local body shop about painting, but they weren't interested. In the end everything was sprayed by can, by me, and trust me, I am not a professional. Let's just call this project an in depth rebuild. The costs I am about to list are what I paid. I am sure someone who has done this before knows where to get parts and supplies at a better rate. I simply went with what I found, where I found it. Keep in mind that a lot of these costs include shipping. Some of the items were purchased months ago, so I have to kind-a rely on memory. And I'm sure there are things I have forgotten about. So here goes..................

Sand paper, sanding sponges, paint remover................50.00

10 cans (at least ) spray paint........................................70.00

Acid dipping.................................................................25.00

Paint thinner, simple green............................................20.00

New voltage regulator.................................................130.00

New PTO switch...........................................................25.00

Decal set for tractor.......................................................48.00

Decal set for motor........................................................15.00

New front bezel for hood............................................100.00

New seat......................................................................100.00

New tail lights...............................................................54.00

New head lamps............................................................25.00

New wiring and connectors...........................................20.00

Engine block cleaning, boring, crank ground,

valve guide install and reaming........…...........…........215.00

Battery cables.................................................................16.00

Battery............................................................................60.00

Bolts, nuts, misc. hardware............................................25.00

Trans fluid & filter.........................................................40.00

Engine rebuild done at small engine shop.

New rings, piston, valves and guides, rod,

governor gear, carb rebuild, plug, points, condenser,

gasket set, coil, valve cover and gasket, Dip stick,

labor, and too many things to list...........................$1249.28

Other incidentals

Band Aids..........................................................................8.00

Beer................................................................................623.67

8' fluorescent bulb (got mad, threw a screwdriver).........15.00

Heating garage to 70 ( I don't like cold )..........................????

To be honest, I may have drank the beer anyway!

Maybe someday I will remove the tin work and have it professionally refinished. Although I like to keep things as original as possible, I think bar tires on the rear, and narrower tires on the front would look nice.

To any novice, like me, who is considering doing something like this, I would strongly suggest you get yourself a $99 digital camera and take lots of pics. Take pics at different stages of tear down. Lots of pics. When you are through taking pics, take some more. They are invaluable when it comes time to reassemble. Make notes of unimportant things, they will become important in time. Also, bag and label ALL small parts. Bolts, nuts, pins, everything. Even if you don't plan to reuse them, you will have them to know what to get to replace them. Trust me you won't remember everything. Especially if your rebuild takes 8 months, like mine. Make notes on paper of every wire, color, where it came from, and where it went. EVERY WIRE !! This will give you the opportunity to go half mad trying to locate your yellow legal size pad with ALL your notes 6 months later, when you find out your 2 youngest granddaughters took it because “Grandma only has white paper”

• Like 2

The Tuul Crib

I love the look of those old Masseys!

Tractorhead

Great poem !

The flip side behind that stories is Sadly but true, 

That sounds like a „Welcome in the new Throw away and buy new Generation“..

Newaday‘s all must be electric, because it is soo much better in protect the Clima.

A friend bought a „amazing electric auto mower“ from Huquarna what runs 3 months last year.

Before he did this i offered him the 212 Horse to mow with, but he didn‘t like a „Servicable machine“.

He bought his Husky at a Sale with the electric protection fence Installation for about „ cheap 1400$“

Because his Neighbour have the same bought on the same sale a month ago.

He‘s envoirement saving Mower is actually again at a Husquarna Servicestation because of a electronic troubles 

it had 2 months after he bought it the first time.Yap, sounds envoirement friendly - what‘s not work didn‘t consumpt Power.

The comeback of his „supermower“ - nobody knows because they told him they didn‘t find any problem.

To be able to mow, he bought additionally an Gas mower until his „Autojunk“ come back...

It must not be services it have a Briggs Engine on it, where no Motoroil ever must be changed, it have a lifetime filling.... OMG.

Needless to say - look for what timeframe they be built..

So i decide to keep my 212 and let them make their own experiences over the time.

i like my old machines.

• Like 1

Gregor
16 minutes ago, Tractorhead said:

Motoroil ever must be changed, it have a lifetime filling.... OMG.

It may not last long enough to need an oil change.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1