ebinmaine

Bird pics.

Jeff-C175

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

seuadr
15 minutes ago, squonk said:

Got a family of those Woody's across the street. They show up at the feeder when the phone isn't handy. 

we've got at least a few on the new property - i hear them, but haven't spotted them yet.

• Like 1

Jeff-C175

There was a small flock of Cedar Waxwings feeding in the Mulberry tree this afternoon.

Tried but couldn't get a photo, they kept moving too quick, and too far up.

lynnmor

Is this hawk crazy or not?  He is hanging in a lilac bush upside down, and I thought he was either killing prey or injured.  I tossed the bundle of shingles at him hoping he would move on, by he stayed right there.  I went and got a pole pruner and cut the branch he was hanging on only to find that he stood up, complained for a while, then slowly walked away.

Ed Kennell
4 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

Is this hawk crazy or not?  He is hanging in a lilac bush upside down, and I thought he was either killing prey or injured.  I tossed the bundle of shingles at him hoping he would move on, by he stayed right there.  I went and got a pole pruner and cut the branch he was hanging on only to find that he stood up, complained for a while, then slowly walked away.

IMG_2354.MOV 30.84 MB · 0 downloads

Any tight forks in the branch that may have captured a foot or talon?

lynnmor
16 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Any tight forks in the branch that may have captured a foot or talon?

That is a possibility, the one leg is stretched out but I couldn't determine if it was caught.  When he dropped to the ground he was completely free from the branch and appeared uninjured.

973939918_IMG_2353(2).JPG.d8789041167b3121bc8350ac25b6ab39.JPG

Ed Kennell

Sure looks like he was caught.   His weight probably kept him attached.

squonk

IMG_20210612_111412060.jpg.a48dfc878f2fa1e266a920c2e6e5f263.jpg

• Like 2

squonk

He's back for more!IMG_20210614_091805487.jpg.9dbfee5e4ea8bb8c2c9f7fced13c01e0.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Ed Kennell

These two just got a bath.   Sorry for the poor pics thru the screen.

102_3132.JPG.625bdf698a16f2c28391e58cbfac0dee.JPG102_3130.JPG.6592c51413bfeff4589f316a817d5baa.JPG102_3127.JPG.7c0288918a3cf9df0ecf0dd3abaf3bb7.JPG

• Like 1

seuadr

i kinda forgot about this thread - but it got me looking for a few of my other favorites to share... i love photographing wildlife!

These swallows are juveniles we watched grow up in a nest on our porch. for about 7 years we had swallows coming and nesting there - sadly the last couple of years they have not 
:/

srZ-KWzYQXeBwWJu3vVXDg.jpg.3cf8abf1e778fc97d497ff66ec976098.jpg

ompW6eMMTwWvYQ-DgbCNyw.jpg.49a123523cf16b28455604e554a23ef9.jpg

this is a humming bird perched on a branch - i've never seen this before. it isn't a particularly detailed capture, but i couldn't figure out what it was it was so small - only realized it was a humming bird after the fact when i zoomed way in.

bSLL3JL4TCOfDez3WeNNBg.jpg.752999ea1bec4a6b77847ad613407afa.jpg

O4QK6_7hTrm9sSDPkTlLRg.jpg.14ac8dacab1085db34b5e1d1b1bff8a6.jpg

WhncibE_R2e8vvdKGAwlBg.jpg.6d003f63a29f6943ea7a2e2760a8991a.jpg

This is one of my favorites - this is a kookaburra catching a treat during a nature seminar about different birds.

N3QRgdSVQVmoZrsjeHrWvg.jpg.a79df56a1f537e320169cbe940d39781.jpg

i uploaded significantly lowered quality photos so they won't be too big, these are ~300-400kb, the originals are 20+ mb. 

hopefully they still come through pretty good.

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 2

Ed Kennell

This finch posed while I was eating lunch today.

102_3182.JPG.435ad5d518d628dd5a69f912988c844f.JPG

• Like 4

Jeff-C175
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

This finch

Is there Nyjer seed in the mix?  They go NUTZ for that!

I feed the Nyjer in the cloth 'socks' and at times there are as many as 8-10 vying for position on the sock.  So my bride put out 2 more socks.  STILL they are all swarming with GoldFinches.  Not so much in the summer now, but in the spring it's a Finch Fest out there!  That Nyjer see is $$ but if it makes the Treasurer happy to watch them, it's worth it I think.

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 1

Ed Kennell
5 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Is there Nyjer seed in the mix? 

Nope.. just sunflowers.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Nyjer seed

2 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Nope.. just sunflowers.

I've wanted to try feeding thistle seed in a sock but never done it.

Our birds get fed black oil sunflower seed and suet.

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
Just now, ebinmaine said:

black oil sunflower seed and suet

Give the thithle a try... but like I thaid, that thtuff is eck-thpend-ive!  Tho only fill the thock part way tho that if it rainth it won't get moldy and have to get thrown out.  I ended up putting a baffle above the thocks to keep motht of the rain off, thquirrels are not at all interethted in the thithle.

Thorry for my lithp.

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Give the thithle a try... but like I thaid, that thtuff is eck-thpend-ive!  Tho only fill the thock part way tho that if it rainth it won't get moldy and have to get thrown out.  I ended up putting a baffle above the thocks to keep motht of the rain off, thquirrels are not at all interethted in the thithle.

Thankth for the advithe

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

squonk

Brown Headed Cowbird paid a visit to the feeder this morning!IMG_20210622_073315185.jpg.ff256fe66347bade7fe29c961334e66e.jpgIMG_20210622_073059468.jpg.6c6188a02b541be4546efabc979ebdc2.jpg

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
36 minutes ago, squonk said:

Brown Headed Cowbird

Those things are a scourge!  

The Brown-headed Cowbird is a stocky blackbird with a fascinating approach to raising its young. Females forego building nests and instead put all their energy into producing eggs, sometimes more than three dozen a summer. These they lay in the nests of other birds, abandoning their young to foster parents, usually at the expense of at least some of the host’s own chicks. Even though Brown-headed Cowbirds are native to North America, many people consider them a nuisance bird, since they destroy the eggs and young of smaller songbirds and have been implicated in the decline of several endangered species

Jeff-C175

The ubiquitous "House Sparrow" up until last year has been numerous here.  Several broods of young each year in the birdhouses.

This year, almost NONE!  What happened to them?

Mrs. Google says that they are an 'introduced species' in North America and that they are in steep decline.  Lots of reasons given, but this year that decline is blatantly obvious. 

Those bullying little sparrows would NEVER allow a Wren to take up residence in prior years, chasing them away constantly.  This year?  Three of the birdhouses have Wren families in them.

Weird...

Anybody else noticing the House Sparrow decline?

• Like 1

ebinmaine
4 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Anybody else noticing the House Sparrow decline

Can't really say as I had around here.

They are very prevalent in the city and suburban areas.

@squonk

We only get those cowbirds as they're passing through in April or May. Interesting to see them though...

Never knew they were a pest.

Crazyredhorse

we have owls living here in big pine trees make alot of racket at night hooting at each other.we also have blue Jays all year round when it gets real cold they hang out by back door and keep squacking till I bring them out some peanuts.have a woodpecker has holes in bunch of trees wich break off in storms.see alot coyotes,foxes n deer cutting through yard too.o yea we have dumb duck comes every spring n lays eggs in a evergreen bush in front yard.then few days later find egg shells laying around yard animals get in nest .but shes persistant nearest body of water is 1/2 mile from here 😄

20210623_011348.jpg

Edited by Crazyredhorse
  • Like 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, Crazyredhorse said:

we have owls living here in big pine trees make alot of racket at night hooting at each other.we also have blue Jays all year round when it gets real cold they hang out by back door and keep squacking till I bring them out some peanuts.have a woodpecker has holes in bunch of trees wich break off in storms.see alot coyotes,foxes n deer cutting through yard too.o

Sounds about like our place ... Add the occasional moose. 

Interesting useless trivia on the blue jays. 

They are a migratory bird. The individuals you see in the summer are most likely not the same individuals you see in the winter. 

Ed Kennell
21 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Anybody else noticing the House Sparrow decline?

Not here.   The Blue birds, Swallows and Wrens wouldn't stand a chance of nesting if I didn't evict the sparrows.   :bitch:

• Like 2