Stormin

R.I.P Prince Philip.

Stormin

Prince Philip, the Queens husband died this morning at 99 years of age.

• Sad 6

squonk

To Teh Sky! :UK:

• Like 1

rjg854

I've been learning a lot about his life today. He was quite the MAN!

RIP Prince Phillip

• Like 2

Mickwhitt

Nice one Norm, this man has been a constant presence and his devotion to duty and the Queen is an inspiration. 

Rest in peace sir, your work is done xxx

• Like 2

roadapples

I don't mean any disrespect, just need a history lesson. Being married to the queen, why wasn't he the king?

Handy Don
3 minutes ago, roadapples said:

I don't mean any disrespect, just need a history lesson. Being married to the queen, why wasn't he the king?

The laws of succession in England gave her the crown. Her spouse is always a "consort". Not a symmetric system!

He isn't even a prince automatically--she bestowed that title.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Handy Don
16 minutes ago, Mickwhitt said:

Nice one Norm, this man has been a constant presence and his devotion to duty and the Queen is an inspiration. 

Rest in peace sir, your work is done xxx

I can state with absolute certainty that it is a rare man able to be consort to a Queen with the grace and devotion to duty he has shown. Worth noting, that he was not even a citizen of the UK until just before he married Elizabeth yet he gave his all to the country.

Especially inspirational to me is that he regularly made mistakes, owned them, and then carried on as best he could.

• Like 5
  • Heart 1

Wheel Horse 3D

Well done Prince rest well.

stevasaurus

RIP Prince Phillip !!!  May our friends across the pond have peace also.  :UK:

• Like 1
  • Heart 2

Mickwhitt

The English monarchy is a mysterious entity, full of rules,  traditions and custom that must seem strange to everyone. 

Philip played a huge part in making sure the monarchy was up to date and relevant despite all the years of history and tradition tying it up.

He worked damn hard to do this and gave up so much to support the Queen through her reign. 

What the future holds for this family and its place in our modern world is up for debate. With Harry dishing the dirt and people saying the Queen should quit and pass the crown direct to William it is becoming a bit of a circus. 

I truly hope that the Queen reigns until her death and that Charles inherits the throne for however long he has before his son takes over the family firm. This is the way it should be , not some popularity contest like on TV. As Monty Python once said "You don't vote for Kings"

Just my ten penneth 

• Like 4

rmaynard

My wife and I are big fans of the TV series "The Crown". Though much of it is fiction, the concept of the show is taken mainly from the Queens diaries. I've enjoyed it. As a Yank, I find the monarchy a bit silly. However, Prince Philip was quite devoted to his role.

RIP Philip

• Like 1

Mickwhitt

Oooh! Don't call the monarchy silly!  Yank or not.

Kings and Queens run through our history for over a thousand years. You guys only have a history that starts a few hundred years ago. :ychain::hide:

• Like 2

Stormin

Though not a Royalist, I prefer what we have as heads of state, compared to what some other country have. Dictators and would be dictators.

• Like 1

Mickwhitt

Im watching the funeral of our beloved Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh.

Such a spectacle of respect and military precision.

He was carried on a land rover defender he was involved in designing for use as his own  hearse. 

So sad that the nation could not attend in numbers to show their respects properly.

And so sad that covid has touched even the grief of a monarch and her family.

I pray for his soul and peaceful rest. 🙏 

Mick

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

formariz

Undoubtedly a good man loved and respected by all, and who will be missed. What a great example that family shows by their actions  in this moment of grief, that they understand their country's and world's situation at this moment and set not only an example but more importantly respect for the plight of all others when others in similar positions of power or influence can do nothing but complain about their " loss of freedom". Something to be learned here. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Much respect.

• Heart 2

rmaynard
On 4/10/2021 at 10:29 AM, Mickwhitt said:

Oooh! Don't call the monarchy silly!  Yank or not.

Kings and Queens run through our history for over a thousand years. You guys only have a history that starts a few hundred years ago. :ychain::hide:

Granted, we are still new at this representative republic that we are still tinkering with, and granted, there has been royalty through the ages, but I think that's one reason why we left. 

• Like 1