Wheel Horse 3D

Ok lets see those pets!

19richie66
38 minutes ago, scottbrucea said:

Richie,

So, will he tree a ‘coon?

I’m sure he would chase it but wouldn’t know what to do with it when it came down :laughing-rolling:

Edited by 19richie66
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
58 minutes ago, c-series don said:

Whatever I bring in my shop

IS THAT A C SERIES??? @c-series don ??? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

John2189

I have a heating pad in an open cardboard box set at 100 degrees. A cat’s body temperature is 102. Do you think it’s too hot?  He can always get off of it if he does get too hot. It will be below 30 degrees in the garage tonight 7DC708F8-849C-41F3-A5DA-9EC4A531A606.jpeg.70d02bd8abc6793d07ecf9f4dac4e3f8.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Heart 1

Jeff-C175
49 minutes ago, John2189 said:

100 degrees

I would turn it down.  Something around 70-80.

Think about if you would like to sleep on a mat at 96 deg.

• Like 1

953 nut
9 hours ago, John2189 said:

heating pad in an open cardboard box set at 100 degrees. A cat’s body temperature is 102.

I did the same thing for a stray that lived on our covered porch but didn't want to interact with us. There was a blanket folded up on top of the heating pad to insulate it and another blanket draped over the box to retain the warmth. In the spring I unplugged the heat pad but she continued to use the box. Eventually she became our buddy and moved into the house.

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH
8 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Think about if you would like to sleep on a mat at 96 deg.

Mrs. Sylvan doesn't provide me with a heating mat when I'm in the dog shed... hhhmmm...

:eusa-think:

• Haha 8

tunahead72
11 hours ago, John2189 said:

I have a heating pad in an open cardboard box set at 100 degrees...

1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

I did the same thing for a stray that lived on our covered porch but didn't want to interact with us. There was a blanket folded up on top of the heating pad to insulate it and another blanket draped over the box to retain the warmth. In the spring I unplugged the heat pad but she continued to use the box. Eventually she became our buddy and moved into the house.

I'm no expert on the topic, but I would be really concerned about a malfunction in the heating pad, especially at night or any other time it's unattended.  The electric pads that I'm familiar with aren't meant to be covered by anything other than the thin cloth pad they sometimes come with.  You're also not supposed to sit or lay on them, or otherwise crush them in any way.  And a cat could certainly scratch or claw its way through whatever cover is in place and dig into the wiring.

I'm all for helping these animals when I can, but I think a simple cardboard box with some blankets would keep them warmer and safer than they would be out in the wild.  Maybe there's some other kind of technology that would be safer?

By the way, my comments are inspired partly by seeing my neighbor's house catch on fire many years ago, caused by a malfunctioning electric blanket.  Fortunately no humans or their pets were injured, but it was frightening to watch, and it wasn't even my house.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, tunahead72 said:

claw its way through whatever

I have fostered feral cats more than once in the past.

They stayed inside my workshop shed over the course of a winter.

They were never given heat and it was never a problem.  

They had small enclosed areas such as transport boxes or cardboard boxes. Blankets in and around or towels or whatever.

Given the reminder of the capabilities of a cat I WOULDN'T EVEN CONSIDER leaving a heating pad or heated blanket anywhere within their reach.

Especially considering that cats are well known to knead their own sleeping quarters on a regular basis.

I appreciate your kind intentions on keeping the animal warmth and I applaud you for it but it is most certainly not worth the risk.  

Another extremely important consideration to using a source of heat such as that is the designed in duty cycle of the appliance or item. Portable eaters like that are not meant to be left on all the time.

I've had a couple experiences at my place. When we had our oil spill a few years ago we were using radiator heaters and one of them began to melt the face off. Another thing is when I had one plugged in to the same outlet in the living room for several months at a time using it off and on. When I went to remove it in the spring I noticed that the off-white colored electric socket was now dark dark gray.

• Like 3

John2189

The cat pad has been on now since the beginning of November. It is set at 100 degrees. The infrared temperature when he is off of it is an average of 48 degrees. When he just gets off of it the reading is about 85 degrees. 

I do check it to see if he scratches it and he doesn’t. He can get off of it if he gets too hot. It is in a cardboard box on a cement floor away from any combustibles. 

thanks for all your advice and suggestions, 

i was just concerned if it was too hot. 

• Like 3
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, John2189 said:

It is in a cardboard box on a cement floor away from any combustibles

Sounds like you're doing the right thing overall John.

Probably wouldn't bother the cat (or hurt your energy bill) if you could turn that heater down.

One thing to keep in mind on that set up... even though it isn't near other combustibles... is that if it short circuits it could overheat the plug.... 

• Like 2

Horse Newbie

Bailey in his monkey Jammie’s…

941CE506-D0C5-4FB0-B56F-E0534D96F403.jpeg

B33F90D3-A19C-4155-8469-399F7CFC0C50.jpeg

Edited by Horse Newbie
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Heart 4

Jeff-C175

I've talked about this before... but I'll repeat it any way.

Many years ago we had a 'shop cat' named "Stymie".  I built a 'cat house' for him.  It had a swinging door on it (duct tape hinge).  It was highly decorated.  Over the door: "He-Cat Mouse Haters Club" and much more.  Wish I had pictures.

I had a thermostatically controlled heater inside. Used some old boiler controls for that. It was set to 50°F.  The heater was a 40W bulb in a metal box with a several vent holes.  Placed it on a pallet to keep it off the floor with a piece of foam insulation underneath.  I also had foam insulation on the side that faced (but not touching) the block wall on one side. Stymie was very happy with his "Kitty Klubhouse".

1 hour ago, John2189 said:

set at 100 degrees

I still think that's too hot.

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 1

John2189
5 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

I've talked about this before... but I'll repeat it any way.

Many years ago we had a 'shop cat' named "Stymie".  I built a 'cat house' for him.  It had a swinging door on it (duct tape hinge).  It was highly decorated.  Over the door: "He-Cat Mouse Haters Club" and much more.  Wish I had pictures.

I had a thermostatically controlled heater inside. Used some old boiler controls for that. It was set to 50°F.  The heater was a 40W bulb in a metal box with a several vent holes.  Placed it on a pallet to keep it off the floor with a piece of foam insulation underneath.  I also had foam insulation on the side that faced (but not touching) the block wall on one side. Stymie was very happy with his "Kitty Klubhouse".

I still think that's too hot.

What temperature do you recommend? 80 degrees is the lowest 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, John2189 said:

I'd put it at whatever the lowest possible temperature is. 

Most Cats are covered with hair for a reason.

All you really want to do is keep it so it's above a point of freezing.

• Like 1

John2189
18 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I'd put it at whatever the lowest possible temperature is. 

Most Cats are covered with hair for a reason.

All you really want to do is keep it so it's above a point of freezing.

Thanks mabey I will set it to 90 tonight and 80 the next night 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, John2189 said:

Thanks mabey I will set it to 90 tonight and 80 the next night 

Why the temperature gradient? To acclimate the cat?

Given the fact that it likely switches on and off to some extent and also the fact that the cat is likely not in there 100% of the time I should think probably you could go ahead and switch it right away. 

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
13 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

would turn it down.  Something around 70-80.

27 minutes ago, John2189 said:

As earlier, 70-80 , so just set it at it's lowest.

Kitty will be fine.

• Like 1

Rob J.

My girl. 

B933307F-F4D0-415E-8D0E-243039DDE794.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 4

John2189
4 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

As earlier, 70-80 , so just set it at it's lowest.

Kitty will be fine.

Jeff, sorry I must have missed this post. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jeff-C175
2 hours ago, Rob J. said:

My girl

Looks like our cat from years gone by.  We had one that was all gray like that also.  Ours was a He-cat.  BIG!!! not fat, but MUSCLES!  He hadda go almost 18 pounds or so.  He had the best personality too.  

Is that a "Russian Blue" by chance?  We believe ours was, but no way to tell without "38 and me" genetic testing and if he was on the FBI wanted list... well, we didn't have him tested...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Heart 1

Jeff-C175
17 minutes ago, John2189 said:

Jeff, sorry I must have missed this post. 

Nota problema John!  All good...

• Like 2

ebinmaine
14 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

if he was on the FBI wanted list... well, we didn't have him tested...

Some things ya just don't wanna know.  

• Haha 3

Rob J.
44 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Looks like our cat from years gone by.  We had one that was all gray like that also.  Ours was a He-cat.  BIG!!! not fat, but MUSCLES!  He hadda go almost 18 pounds or so.  He had the best personality too.  

Is that a "Russian Blue" by chance?  We believe ours was, but no way to tell without "38 and me" genetic testing and if he was on the FBI wanted list... well, we didn't have him tested...

Not sure Jeff. I got it from the humane society for my wife but she ended up being my cat. They say pets are a better judge of character than people are, so I’ve heard. 😜 No seriously my wife is the best just so busy she didn’t have the time I did with her. Thought we almost lost her a couple weeks ago. She didn’t eat, drink, duty for almost 2 weeks. Spent a ton of money at the vet only to find out they didn’t know. Then she started pulling through. 

• Like 1
  • Heart 3

Horse Newbie

Bailey is sporting his Duckie Jammie’s tonight… cozy doggie…

702F80FF-D47E-4E25-B3BC-7B826D795819.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Heart 3