Bentoolong

Introduction New Guy

Wheel Horse 3D

:text-welcomeconfetti:Welcome to RED SQUARE! I'm relatively new myself, so I'll leave the tips to the others, but there's no better place to find info and experience on these critters! The gang is very helpful and fun! Welcome aboard and feel free to hang out!

• Like 2

The Tuul Crib

:text-welcomeconfetti:T😎:rs:

:wwp: :happy-jumpeveryone:

there are a lot of folks here that like different years of these little beauties!!

I personally like 67 on up to the mid 80's

I prefer the eight speeds over the three. I have one automatic which is my toy!:banana-dance:

roadapples

If you  get  a wheel horse you'll want to keep  it and sell whatever  you're  using  now. And :WRS:

• Like 4

Pullstart

:text-welcomeconfetti: Neighbor!  I used to live at 4 mile and Whites Bridge in Smyrna!  Don’t get a whole ton closer to Lowell then that!

Now we’re in Middleville with a handful of :wh: machines :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Pullstart
1 hour ago, Bentoolong said:

Can you give me any info on what models are common and would be a good candidate for minor restoration?

Looks to me like the WH era to watch for is maybe mid 60’s to early 80’s. They are still around and solid machines that can be found at a reasonable price.

I like this mid-size lawn tractors with a deck. I like original stuff. I doesn’t need to be pretty, but I like things to work well.

Anyone in the Grand Rapids area who cares to talk tractors can PM me.

You’re right about the age ranges.  Most of the stuff you mentioned can exchange most attachments as well.  I have two daughters at home, the young one really enjoys projects with Daddy and they are both quite good with their motor skills.  Garden tractors seem to be a perfect learning tool for them both and not too intimidating.

This was early last year, so we’ve added quite a few along the way.... but check these videos out for some inspiration!

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti: Good to see another Michigan type here!!!

Lee1977

Wheel Horses garden tractors are all good and easy to work on.. I like early C-series better, but I bought my C-120 new in 1977. They started making changes to them in 1978 and later models with the gas tank under the rear fender. 

Have  a couple of them also a  312-8 and a 1989 520-H. Not sure what model the 312-8 is some where 1987-1989 there not enough difference in those models of 312-8 to need know for sure.

Edited by Lee1977

Bentoolong
1 hour ago, pullstart said:

:text-welcomeconfetti: Neighbor!  I used to live at 4 mile and Whites Bridge in Smyrna!  Don’t get a whole ton closer to Lowell then that!

Now we’re in Middleville with a handful of :wh: machines :handgestures-thumbupright:

Pullstart, Quite a collection. I'd love to stop sometime and see what you have. I can't see a way to PM you.

• Like 2

Tractorhead

:text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs: over the Big Pond.

Wheel Horse was last year imported.

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, Bentoolong said:

I can't see a way to PM you.

Click on the little envelope at the top of the home page by your name.    Then click on ...compose new.     

• Like 1

8ntruck

:text-welcomeconfetti:from another Michigander.  I'm in Stanton, so I think I'm closer, putting a dent in @pullstart claim of can't get much closer.

• Haha 2

Gregor

:text-welcomeconfetti: I am relatively new to Wheel Horses myself. I have worked on, and rebuilt some other brands. In my experience, Wheel Horse is, so far, VERY well built, and probably the easiest to work on. But they should come with a warning label like Lays potato chips. You can't have just one !

Edited by Gregor
  • Like 1

Herder

:text-welcomeconfetti: to  :rs:

Wheel Horse fan? Ya maybe!  Obsessive personality?  Most likely. 

IMG_1663.JPG.57d2fd72848bee0ea36b76534b93eb71.JPG   

• Like 1

Pullstart
2 hours ago, Bentoolong said:

Pullstart, Quite a collection. I'd love to stop sometime and see what you have. I can't see a way to PM you.

thanks!  We (I) kind of dove off the deep end of collecting the past couple years.  I sent ya a message :handgestures-thumbupright:

seuadr

hey another michigander! i'm just south of lansing, so not real far!

953 nut

:WRS:

The older :wh: tractors are my favorites but my heard ranges from '57 to '93 so maintain an open mind and buy whatever strikes your fancy, again and again and again.        :ychain:

1026245239_100_3526(1).JPG.38c8ea7b522d40ed7a63d731914f6a58.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

JoeM
13 hours ago, Bentoolong said:

I’m a retired guy that just loves to “wrench” on something. I’m not a collector (yet) and would more than likely sell whatever I worked on once I got it to a dependable state. I don’t need to make money on it but I do need to enjoy it.

Pretty much describes what I do. (exception; I am a collector now). I must have done a dozen or so machines over the last 6 years. Kind of like "RoadKill" for tractors. Hey maybe on the Discovery Channel one day!

Welcome to the Square!

• Haha 1

Mickwhitt

Welcome along!

Im one of the English converts to the cause of red tractor global domination! 

This is a great place to learn and have fun. 

Enjoy your retirement and new hobby lol.

Mick 

• Like 2

peter lena

BEENTOOLONG, " doesn't need to be pretty , but like things to work well " ,I can relate to that . recommend a 12 to 14 hp, 8 speed , manual trans , 42 " rd mower deck , matching 42" dozer blade on frame. earlier models had less electrical problems , but anything you get can be covered here , we all share the love and interest on these long lived tractors. you might find one close to you , that is dead with easy to fix neglect , that the owner has just given up on . usually my main concern is to get rid of anything , bad , get it reliable , then start marvel mystery oil rubbing it down to bring out the paint , ask away  on anything related , retirement is what you make it , busier now  than ever , good luck , pete

• Like 1

Stormin

:text-welcomeconfetti:to :rs: from another over the Pond in :UK:

I don't have a stable like some of the lads in the US. Only a modest three and all workers. You'll not go wrong with a C series. 8 - 12hp.

BTW. They're addictive with no known cure.

• Haha 1

Bentoolong

I'm leaning towards looking for a lawn tractor vs a garden tractor. Smaller and less complicated for sure. maybe a 70's or 80's unit. Still like the horizontal shaft Kohler driven units.

Any recommendations?

Are the Toro/WH vintage machines any good?

Bentoolong

• Like 1