Riskie Biscuits

Need help identifying my wheelhorse

WHX??

:text-yeahthat:A guy we know in Indiana did 4H projects & school shop stuff with kids with :wh: . What better way to teach them like grandad did. .... things that will last them a life time.

Lol hey... is it my fault 58 year old fuel pumps go out while on tour Kev? :rolleyes:

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

Riskie Biscuits

Just took her for a spin and there are some issues to troubleshoot. It ran fine for 15 minutes or so and then she quit on me. I could get her started again by playing with the choke and throttle, but she’d run with the choke halfway out for a while then I’d have to put it in after a bit. Getting her back to the barn took some doing, my juggling the clutch and throttle would only get so far before she’d quit again. Any ideas? She hasn’t been run in a long while so I don’t know where to start.

953 nut
2 minutes ago, Riskie Biscuits said:

hasn’t been run in a long while so I don’t know where to start.

I would start by removing the rubber fuel line, draining the old gas and flush it with a bit more fresh gas. Replace the fuel hose and ad a fuel filter to the line. Only use Ethanol free gas https://www.pure-gas.org/ and add some SeaFoam fuel treatment at about 4 ounces per gallon for the first tank full.

• Like 4

Ed Kennell

:text-yeahthat:

Requiring choke to keep it running is an indication excess air is leaking in...possible around a worn throttle plate shaft.

• Like 2

WHX??

Or the exact same thing with Pullstart having to give mouth to mouth.... bad fuel pump diaphram & fouled check valves.  This one sat for a bit and we know what moisture does to aluminum. Run into that Biscuits and need to rebuild the fuel pump we have connections. Carb cleaning and such as Dick and Ed said is a must do on a new to. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

WHX??
30 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

...possible around a worn throttle plate shaft.

Ya know Ed I have more than a few tractors, that seem to me anyway,  excessive play in that throttle shaft but run like a champ??  It wobbles around a good 1/16 ??? I was always lead to believe it was more of a poor idle condition? 

Riskie Biscuits

Thanks everyone, I’ll look into these options soon. Right now I’m planning on replacing the carburetor, doing a disassembly, or partial disassembly, to clean everything up and inspect the parts. I’d like to change out all the gaskets I can reach without too much effort, and go over it to make sure everything is timed right and movement is free and clear. I know the throttle cable needs to be tightened up, the steering has a substantial amount of play in it, and various other odds and ends. 

I’ll definitely work over the fuel line and try flushing it out to get good clean gas into the engine and see if that improves things. Electrical and the spark plug are in good working order, although I’ll replace the wiring to keep everything in good order going forward. 

• Excellent 3

Ed Kennell
12 hours ago, WHX24 said:

excessive play in that throttle shaft but run like a champ

Dunno Jim.    Did you ever try the spray with WD trick to see if there was an RPM effect?         I had two, can't remember what engines, that absolutely would not run without 1/2 choke.     New bushing in the throttle shaft and problem solved.

I have no data, but  logic tells me the small carbs should be more sensitive where the air leak would be a larger percentage of the total air intake.

• Like 3

Pullstart
12 hours ago, Riskie Biscuits said:

Thanks everyone, I’ll look into these options soon. Right now I’m planning on replacing the carburetor, doing a disassembly, or partial disassembly, to clean everything up and inspect the parts. I’d like to change out all the gaskets I can reach without too much effort, and go over it to make sure everything is timed right and movement is free and clear. I know the throttle cable needs to be tightened up, the steering has a substantial amount of play in it, and various other odds and ends. 

I’ll definitely work over the fuel line and try flushing it out to get good clean gas into the engine and see if that improves things. Electrical and the spark plug are in good working order, although I’ll replace the wiring to keep everything in good order going forward. 

rTher than replacing the carb, a rebuild after a bath in Berryman’s Carb Dip might be better for you.  Some people love the cheap Chinabuilt eBay carbs, some don’t.  I’ve never had an issue with them, but @ebinmaine hasn’t ever found a good one.

• Excellent 3

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, pullstart said:

rTher than replacing the carb, a rebuild after a bath in Berryman’s Carb Dip might be better for you.  Some people love the cheap Chinabuilt eBay carbs, some don’t.  I’ve never had an issue with them, but @ebinmaine hasn’t ever found a good one.

Yep. Quite true.

I've seen several that were absolute trash refuse garbage no good... Right fresh clean out of the new box. Odds are about 99% I'll never run another one. 

Just as a point of information on a similar subject I bought one for a 16 horse that had a bore slightly smaller than the one that was already on my 12 horse. 

WHX??
4 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Did you ever try the spray with WD trick to see if there was an RPM effect? 

No ... no reason to ... ran too good. I'll have to try it just for S & grins.