Riskie Biscuits

Need help identifying my wheelhorse

Riskie Biscuits

I’m a new-to-me Wheelhorse owner! My grandfather passed away several years ago and I insisted I get his little red tractor. Just recently I got around to trying to restore it. I was hoping I could get some help understanding exactly which model I have and if anyone out there has any advice on what my particular model might need. Seems like a good place to start. Thanks for any help!

6C633BA3-A77F-4725-86C3-266BCC8EA2D0.jpeg

CA17FE29-4A9D-4D51-A0DB-2915FB390EA0.jpeg

E915F0B2-B94A-4103-BC23-7285370FDA28.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

Welcome!  You have a 1963 753.  It’s a 7 horsepower Kohler electric start.  Do you by chance have the hood for it?

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Achto

:text-yeahthat: I totally agree with Pullstart.

:WRS: 

Looks like a great project!! Glad to see that you are making it live on.:handgestures-thumbupright: Check our vendors section for great sources for parts. Feel free to ask questions as well, we like to help out as much as we can.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 3

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs:       

753      7= 7HP        5= 3 speed manual transmission         3 = 1963 manufacture date

Actually Ed, the 5 stands for electric start.  Edited by Stevasaurus

• Like 4

Riskie Biscuits

Thanks! I do have the hood for it. It has a light mounted to the front, which I’m guessing is something my grandfather added. It runs well but I’m guessing I have a long way to getting it back tip-top. I’m betting it hasn’t been run in 20-30 years. First thing is a new coat of paint!

• Excellent 3

Jeff-C175
1 minute ago, Riskie Biscuits said:

First thing is a new coat of paint!

Usually the last thing....  fix all the mechanical stuff first, you don't want to risk scratching a brandy new paint job!

• Like 7

Ed Kennell
3 minutes ago, Riskie Biscuits said:

First thing is a new coat of paint!

I wouldn't be in hurry to paint.  The choice is certainly yours, but many restorers prefer to preserve the patina that has developed over 60+ years.    There are many posts and examples of this process.

• Like 7

Pullstart
10 minutes ago, Riskie Biscuits said:

Thanks! I do have the hood for it. It has a light mounted to the front, which I’m guessing is something my grandfather added. It runs well but I’m guessing I have a long way to getting it back tip-top. I’m betting it hasn’t been run in 20-30 years. First thing is a new coat of paint!

Honestly after sitting that long, it’s likely that many wearable items are pretty well intact still.  Make sure you jack the front end up BY THE FRAME to grease the front axle, steering, spindles, hubs, etc.  taking the weight off the axle and other items allows the grease to get where it needs to be.  I agree with Ed.  It’s surely your own tractor!  Do as you wish, but the paint is only original once.  A good wet sand job will easily expose a beautiful finish that you can wax, apply boiled linseed oil, or clear coat satin or crystal to really make it pop!

• Like 4

The Tuul Crib

:text-welcomeconfetti:T😎:rs:

@Riskie Biscuits!! 

• Like 1

Riskie Biscuits

I’m thinking of painting it because there are several large areas where the paint is simply gone. Parts that have surface rust I would like to refinish and have match the rest of the horse.

• Excellent 1

The Tuul Crib
1 minute ago, Riskie Biscuits said:

I’m thinking of painting it because there are several large areas where the paint is simply gone. Parts that have surface rust I would like to refinish and have match the rest of the horse.

The best way I've found to clean parts of rust is electrolysis. Nice looking macine

and will be following along!  :popcorn:

• Like 1

Riskie Biscuits

I’ll for sure be posting progress photos as I go along and I can already tell there’s plenty of help from this community! 

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

Herder

• Like 1

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:                 Always glad to see a family heirloom being brought back and shown a lot of love. The light your grandfather added may not be "correct" but it helps tell the story of this particular :wh: so don't hesitate to leave it there,   :twocents-02cents:.   Your tractor, by all means do it your way.

• Like 4

Riskie Biscuits

Oh the light isn’t going anywhere. I want to bring it back to life but I plan on using it plenty too and the light was a perfect addition. I’ll likely take off the mover deck and put on a snow pusher, and get a little wagon to hitch to it as well.

• Heart 1

Pullstart

Many have found Rustoleum Regal Red suits our needs, some choose Sunrise Red.  

The one with the Cherry bomb (Putt Putt) is the regal red, the monster tire beast (Poppy) is factory, as far as I know.  :handgestures-thumbupright:  These are both ‘62s.

2C79EFE5-48F7-4D50-827E-F4005C3963CE.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Riskie Biscuits
19 minutes ago, pullstart said:

The one with the Cherry bomb (Putt Putt) is the regal red, the monster tire beast (Poppy) is factory, as far as I know.  :handgestures-thumbupright:  These are both ‘62s.

Thanks! It does look like a close match and they look good together. I’m mostly restoring it because my grandfather was a machinist and taught me so much about mechanics and machining, but also for my nephews as a way of learning more about our family’s history so I’m certain they will love a nice shiny red tractor that fits them. So glad everyone has been so helpful! 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 2

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 1

Pullstart

We’re all looking forward to your progress with the family, preserving part of your family’s history!

• Like 1

WHX??

Sounds like the guys got you covered so I'll just :text-welcomeconfetti:

A 753 is a favorite  model around here. Yes you need any help use your shout out. Here's mine, I left as is and doubt I would ever resto it. I enjoy it too much as is. 

IMG_6247_JPG_33ad474cfb3ea1c9b57e2405790f4c74.jpg

20170806_163419.jpg

20170806_201516.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 2

haydendavid380
56 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Those are probably my two favorites of yours

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

Just don’t ever offer to run Uncle Jim @WHX24’s 753 around... it’ll likely die on the back end of a trail ride in mosquito season!

4F974ABB-5561-49FD-A89D-B18600E269EF.jpeg

A01062AE-BA19-44F3-BB57-6F27C138A438.jpeg

A71B2285-9DF5-4409-9ED6-F0F6C3072DA5.jpeg

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 2
  • Heart 1

Pullstart
35 minutes ago, haydendavid380 said:

Those are probably my two favorites of yours

I seem to enjoy ‘em too!  Putt Putt was my first ever Wheel Horse, so I’ve got a thing for the ones most like it!  Poppy, that build kind of just happened and I’m glad it did!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 4

953 nut
4 hours ago, Riskie Biscuits said:

for my nephews as a way of learning more about our family’s history so I’m certain they will love a nice shiny red tractor that fits them.

Get the boys involved in the restoration from time to time. They will be building memories rather than hearing stories.

• Like 3