formariz

Adze+ Plane= raised panel.

formariz

Some of you such as @ebinmaine had requested a video of my adze being used. Did it using it for a raised panel done the traditional way here. Had to split it into a few videos since I have no camera man to follow me around. This is a special adze called enxo, which is only seen where I am from and it really originated from shipwrights. it is still today a tool found in many old carpenters' tool boxes and it is extremely useful. Once mastered one can take thin shavings such as with a plane or large amounts of wood such as when roughing something up as I do for the raised panels. One can also do curved work with it. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine

AWESOME stuff Caz. Thank you. 

dcrage

I am even more impressed now that I have seen an adz for fine furniture!!

formariz
42 minutes ago, dcrage said:

I am even more impressed now that I have seen an adz for fine furniture!!

LOL. The reality is that fine furniture was built already prior to the existence of all  these modern tools we associate with making it today. Unfortunately most people today will not build many things because " they don't have the machinery " or cannot afford it. The fact is that one does not need machinery for absolutely anything that has to do with woodworking. It will make it easier (sometimes) and faster (also sometimes) but they are not necessary.

DennisThornton

I've made raised panels but I never seen an adz used to rough them out.  Seems much faster and very handy for the aggravating end grain!

I think machinery is for repeated cuts and mass production.  I think you made that single raised panel by hand in about the time it would take with a tablesaw and then still have to deal with the sawmarks.

I really like that hammer!

formariz
6 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

I think machinery is for repeated cuts and mass production.  I think you made that single raised panel by hand in about the time it would take with a tablesaw and then still have to deal with the sawmarks.

Anything over 20 a shaper will do it faster. Under 20 however by the time one installs cutters, adjusts machine to cut panel correctly, sets up all the safety measures, the panels will be finished by hand.  There will be no sanding needed to remove inevitable chatter marks from cutters. Plane will leave wood glass smooth. I can do them much faster than in video if i don't have to worry about camera and screwing up on video LOL.

12 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

I really like that hammer!

Warrington Hammer better known as a cabinet makers hammer.

DennisThornton
5 minutes ago, formariz said:

Anything over 20 a shaper will do it faster. Under 20 however by the time one installs cutters, adjusts machine to cut panel correctly, sets up all the safety measures, the panels will be finished by hand.  There will be no sanding needed to remove inevitable chatter marks from cutters. Plane will leave wood glass smooth. I can do them much faster than in video if i don't have to worry about camera and screwing up on video LOL.

Warrington Hammer better known as a cabinet makers hammer.

Nothing is nicer than a planed or scraped finished surface.  We need to see if we can get you some camera help...

How many ounces is that hammer?

formariz

12 ounces

E8FA4B24-C100-4735-B4F4-3325563F696A.jpeg.1aa579f8ec20f3dccda76fadb4811c32.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Jeff-C175

That's some mad skills right there!  Kudos!

CCW

Thanks @formariz.  I've made raised panel doors, but never by hand.  I have two to make and will try it with my planes instead of the table saw.

formariz
2 hours ago, CCW said:

Thanks @formariz.  I've made raised panel doors, but never by hand.  I have two to make and will try it with my planes instead of the table saw.

Thank you. Not everyone has a panel raising plane So if not one has to do it with a smooth and a rabbet plane. I will do a short video  doing it that way.

• Like 1

CCW
4 hours ago, formariz said:

Thank you. Not everyone has a panel raising plane So if not one has to do it with a smooth and a rabbet plane. I will do a short video  doing it that way.

Thank you.  I do have the smooth and rabbit plane.