Achto

Dust Collector

Achto

I have a small blast cabinet that I haven't used in quite a while because of the lack of a vacuum system. If you have tried to use a blast cabinet with out a vacuum system, you know that the dust accumulation in the cabinet makes it almost impossible to see what you're doing. The last time that I used my blast cabinet I tried to just use a Shop Vac for dust collection. Well... that resulted in a junk Shop Vac:unsure:. The strain of the fine dust was just too much for the ol' girl. I've also heard stories of guys Shop Vac's starting on fire when used for this purpose.:o

I would like to use my Blast cabinet again and have looked at a few collection systems that are of course big $$$. I came across this video showing A DIY dust collector that looks easy to build and very low priced. I'm thinking on giving it a try to see if it will work for the sand dust. I'm thinking at worst I will be out a low priced  Shop Vac if it don't work.

Welcome any thoughts before I give it a try.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 5

DennisThornton

I reviewed a lot and bought a couple of cyclone adapters.  Can't remember the details, price was not bad and would save me a lot of work.  Turns out they saved me a lot of work because they are still in the box, years later.  Yes, I'm behind...  Point is I bought a true cyclone adapter to go on top of a bucket or barrel instead of angled pipe fittings.  Was my thoughts at the time.

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

What about one of these...

Screenshot_20210306-213729.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

roadapples

Just remember if you have a decent vacuum system it needs to be vented or it will break the glass...

• Like 3

formariz

Not knowing what you are willing to spend it is hard to make suggestions. However a cyclone separator is the most efficient method that will not clog any filters or bags. I use two of those. One small one connected to a shop vacuum used to clean shop and attach to small tools such as a router and sander, and a larger one attached to an inexpensive dust collector from harbor freight. The last one is dedicated to the top side of table saw only. Bothe will drop collected dust to their container without clogging vacuum filter or bag . As a matter fact I probably have not opened my shop vacuum in over one year, but sometimes emptying the cyclone container twice per week. The small cyclone has a much higher static pressure than the larger one.

DDA681C2-59E4-4D4F-8FCF-5A30F65B73EC.jpeg.9f3c37c3c81e369106ab92d2138929ca.jpeg

925332CD-FB95-4EE9-A0D1-CA2714C34874.jpeg.bccb18bc9dc2f9289352cee76a21f0bd.jpeg

Edited by formariz
  • Like 4

ranger
5 hours ago, Achto said:

I have a small blast cabinet that I haven't used in quite a while because of the lack of a vacuum system. If you have tried to use a blast cabinet with out a vacuum system, you know that the dust accumulation in the cabinet makes it almost impossible to see what you're doing. The last time that I used my blast cabinet I tried to just use a Shop Vac for dust collection. Well... that resulted in a junk Shop Vac:unsure:. The strain of the fine dust was just too much for the ol' girl. I've also heard stories of guys Shop Vac's starting on fire when used for this purpose.:o

I would like to use my Blast cabinet again and have looked at a few collection systems that are of course big $$$. I came across this video showing A DIY dust collector that looks easy to build and very low priced. I'm thinking on giving it a try to see if it will work for the sand dust. I'm thinking at worst I will be out a low priced  Shop Vac if it don't work.

The cyclone pre- cleaners do work quite well. This reminds me of a former customer we had before I retired, one of his mechanics had “improved” the air filter box on a VW Diesel engine, 1600cc, we used to fit in a small road sweeper we produced. His “improvement consisted of, drilling holes through the aluminium air filter housing and inserting threaded rods underneath the flat filter element to stop it from being sucked into the engine. The reason this particular machine had this problem was, no one realised that the inline pre cleaner should have it’s bowl emptied daily. The filter would rapidly become blocked, (road sweeper, loads of dust), and then collapse. After suitable “Education”, the problem disappeared! So yes, I personally would agree, Cyclone type pre cleaners are effective! 

• Like 1

squonk

Blasting particles and dust will destroy a vacuum motor in short order. It isn't the same as a wood dust collector. You could use a abrasive reclaimer first in line to protect the vac motor. Best to use a collector designed for abrasive blasting 6120-41_R_191a741e.jpg  

180-dc_R_19cccfa6.jpg

https://www.tptools.com/

Edited by squonk
  • Like 2

ebinmaine

I watched the video. 

Seems reasonable. I'd try it. 

• Like 1

DennisThornton
11 hours ago, Achto said:

I've seen vids and designs for lots of DIY dust collectors and this is as good as I've seen in construction and performance!  The cyclones I bought and haven't used yet are very much like the ones  formariz posted, but I'd try this one too.

• Like 2

pacer

I've got this one from HF for my HF blast cabinet and it really does well - I got it back when HF was offering the 20% coupons and it helped on cost. (its reg $149)

But if you do a lot of blasting this is the ticket, it and modifying the cabinet from a vid on youtube has made that cabinet indispensible !!!

Look up 'blast cabinet reclaimer kit'

image_21642.jpg

Edited by pacer
  • Like 1

oliver2-44
7 hours ago, pacer said:

I've got this one from HF for my HF blast cabinet and it really does well - I got it back when HF was offering the 20% coupons and it helped on cost. (its reg $149)

But if you do a lot of blasting this is the ticket, it and modifying the cabinet from a vid on youtube has made that cabinet indispensible !!!

Look up 'blast cabinet reclaimer kit'

image_21642.jpg

I had read where several people had good luck with that HF Dust Collector.  So I bought one and got the bad one in the batch.  It worked so-so for less than one tractor.  But blew a  fair amount of dust out the fan.  Then the fan blades exploded.  HF does not sell a replacement fan.  I now see a couple of other companies selling one that looks just like the HF one.  I wonder if the quality is any better for a few more $..  

• Like 1

Achto

Well I decided to give the dust collector from the video a try. Here is the one that I built. BTW using a hook blade in an oscillating tool (like shown in the video) works awesome for cutting plastic

IMG_20210307_130615039.jpg.3cc4a244c26f104b50f249e69a65dc57.jpg

I picture of the inside.

IMG_20210307_130451808.jpg.05360d83a52a77920b19d1a5a5bc7df4.jpg

I'm about $15 out of pocket and 45min on the clock to get it ready for operation.

Now for the performance report... After all the time & money that I stuck into this collector of course had to try it out.:D I blasted about a 1/2 dozen pieces for the 701 that I'm currently working on using coal slag for media. Visibility in the blast cabinet was great, with very little dust in the air. When I was finished there was some dirt in the bottom of the dust collector and the new filter on the Shop Vac looked as clean as it was when I installed it.

So far I would give this dust collector two thumbs up.:handgestures-thumbsup: If my opinion changes I will be sure to let you know.:)

Edited by Achto
  • Excellent 4

82Caddy

I did the same thing you made @Achto just on a bigger scale with a 55 gal plastic drum. Hooked up to a harbor freight dust collector with a canister filter and it’s worked well for me so far for blast cabinet use as well as woodworking. 

• Excellent 3

oliver2-44
15 hours ago, Achto said:

So far I would give this dust collector two thumbs up.:handgestures-thumbsup: If my opinion changes I will be sure to let you know.:)

Please keep us updated @Achto I had watched that video build a few weeks ago and have been thinking about building one too.

• Like 2

ebinmaine

Yeah I showed that to Trina last night and she figured it was a good idea as well. 

I'd love to get the chop saw shreddings under control. 

• Like 1

Tractorhead

Where to find this buckets, here i didn‘t find them.

like this cyclone.

• Like 1

Achto
On 3/8/2021 at 9:20 AM, oliver2-44 said:

Please keep us updated @Achto I had watched that video build a few weeks ago and have been thinking about building one too.

So far I have 8hrs using this dust collector and I am still happy. That's 4 more hours than my last vacuum lasted with out the dust collector. :handgestures-thumbupright: The filter in my vacuum still looks clean.

I do have an issue with it wanting to collapse when the filter inside the blast cabinet plugs up but I use this for a gauge to know when to clean the filter.:) There is a part 2 video that tells how to cure this collapsing issue with 2 more pails, but I am going to leave mine as is.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Achto
On 3/8/2021 at 1:56 PM, Tractorhead said:

Where to find this buckets, here i didn‘t find them.

like this cyclone.

Wish I could help with finding these pails in your area. :( I would think that a farm supply store would have these pails, or a restaurant. When I work in a restaurant, we would receive pickles, other various food items, and cleaning supplies in 5gal plastic pails.  

Around here they are available almost any where. When you find some, you just have to make sure that the top rings allow you to make the necessary cut for the top pail. The pails at our local Tractor Supply would not work for this project because of how the top rings and the handle are laid out.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 1