krystolo

Am I asking too much of a C160?

krystolo
1 hour ago, Mikey the Monkey said:

If you use your $2000 budget and sell your zero turn, you could put quite a bit down on a SCUT with loader, mower. I have a Massey Ferguson SCUT. It has 4 wheel drive and power steering. You would never need to rent a skidsteer ever again. I'm sure you would thank the Good Lord everytime you used it. Also if you're a farm you could use depreciation every year to ease your tax burden. I don't think you'll be happy with the performance of a wheel horse in the horse pasture....just my rambling thoughts

That's a great idea! Unfortunately, the mower belongs to one of the other co-op members, and her dad bought it for her, so it's kinda her baby, and I don't think she'll part with it. I'm trying to convince everyone we'd be better off with a bigger tractor, but no one wants to spend the money.  I don't really want to buy it myself since it would be used by the group.  Also, a couple of the ladies are not very experienced in operating this type of equipment, and I thought a smaller tractor would be friendlier.

We've been using a JD riding mower and the zero turn in the pastures for years.  A bit rough, but they do ok.

We rent the land and barn, so I'm not sure if we'd get the depreciation.  Guess we could form an LLC or something... need to think on that!

krystolo
7 minutes ago, Pollack Pete said:

I agree and most compact tractors will be 4 wheel drive and have a cat 1 3 point hitch and maybe even have a front end loader.And will do lots of work,all day long.Even an older full size farm tractor.I bought a well used Allis Chalmers model WD with a New Idea model 506 front end loader and brand new rear tires for 600 bucks a couple months ago.

Woah!  That's a great deal!!

stevasaurus

Buy the horse, it will not lose it's value.  Then go to tractor shows this year and buy some of the raffle tickets.  I almost won this in 2010.

2009_0830LaSeuer210100013.JPG

2009_0901LaSeuer210100001.JPG

• Like 2

krystolo

@stevasaurus  Wow!  That's a nice tractor.

krystolo

Well, I bought the tractor!

It's in another state, so a friend went and checked it out for me.  It will be here next week!

I'm excited to check it out, get it cleaned up and do some maintenance.  Then, she'll get to work!

I'm sure I'll be back with loads of questions, and I know this is the best place for answers!

Please send any tips or tricks my way! I'm all ears.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 5
  • Heart 1

stevasaurus

This was the raffle tractor at the show in LaSueur, Minn. in 2010.  A complete restoration, it was beautiful in person.  About the size of the 8N Ford tractors.  :occasion-xmas:

Excellent you bought that horse, if she is solid, you will not be disappointed.  Welcome to Red Square and you might want to think about coming to our Big Show in June in Pennsylvania...Ardtsville (sp) near Gettysburg the weekend after Father's Day in June.  The WHCC show.  It is all Wheel Horse...check the pictures in the gallery.

• Like 3

krystolo

OK, so now that I'm the proud new owner of a C160, what should I do when it gets here? Anything to check in particular?  My only experience is with a little JD lawn mower, but I'm pretty handy and quick to learn.

Is there an owners manual or repair manual of some sort?

Thanks!

• Like 1

haydendavid380

I always do basic maintenance/checks.

Check fluid level and condition on engine oil and trans oil. If any doubt of condition, change it.

Check air filter. 

Check plug and points.

Change/add fuel filter, check fuel lines for condition. Check for sediment in tank. If necessary drain and top off with fresh ethanol free juice. 

Check belt/s condition

Check valves and breather.

Inflate tires to spec.

Pressure wash, clean and degrease, put a coat of wax on the paint

Grease all zerks

Check bearings for play

Enjoy !

After all that I address any leaks I find in the next couple days if they arise.

Any problem you have can be solved here or on YouTube. There's a ton of literature/manuals in the reference section here. 

Get the serial sorted out and figure the year

Edited by haydendavid380
  • Like 1

953 nut
18 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

I almost won this in 3020

@stevasaurus the time traveler.              

Time travel is possible but changing the past isn't, study says

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 5

953 nut

This manual should come in handy. Any questions you may have we will be glad to help you with.

ebinmaine
9 hours ago, krystolo said:

OK, so now that I'm the proud new owner of a C160, what should I do when it gets here? Anything to check in particular?  My only experience is with a little JD lawn mower, but I'm pretty handy and quick to learn.

Is there an owners manual or repair manual of some sort?

Thanks!

Do a search on this site for baseline and /or base line. 

You'll come up with all kinds of threads showing what we as a group do to Horses that are "new to us". 

• Like 1

krystolo
2 hours ago, 953 nut said:

This manual should come in handy. Any questions you may have we will be glad to help you with.

Thank you!!

• Like 2

krystolo

She’s here!

couple of questions to follow. 

this set up ok? Looks like the arm on the sleeve hitch broke off and the prior owner welded a loop. 

A489F9FE-5E14-4202-99FB-35979BC7CA23.jpeg

krystolo

Cup holder?

2F13A11D-55FB-4339-92D6-0ABB2AFB4E8A.jpeg

• Haha 3
  • Heart 1

krystolo

Not original 😝

1F741263-5CEA-4ED1-8F5B-A4ED5EBA0CFF.jpeg

• Haha 1

SylvanLakeWH
2 minutes ago, krystolo said:

Cup holder?

2F13A11D-55FB-4339-92D6-0ABB2AFB4E8A.jpeg

Could also be a flower pot... but I’d go with repurposed long neck holder...

:occasion-xmas:

• Like 3

haydendavid380
11 minutes ago, krystolo said:

She’s here!

this set up ok? Looks like the arm on the sleeve hitch broke off and the prior owner welded a loop. 

Certainly not the way it came, but as long as the weld holds, I'd assume it'd be functional.

If you wanted something cleaner and closer to original you could drill a hole in the arm, stick a small clevis through it and attach the cable to that.

Edited by haydendavid380
  • Like 1

krystolo

Seems like something is missing. Does the rod coming from the dozer blade hook into something?

there’s minimal downward pressure with the blade. 

48053E56-5093-4BA2-A8F4-2B1781CE7020.jpeg

SylvanLakeWH

You are missing the control handle. Controls blade side to side movements...

See pic.image.jpeg.8d0de75cfa216437baa1995ad9128d08.jpeg

Edited by SylvanLakeWH

haydendavid380
2 minutes ago, krystolo said:

Seems like something is missing. Does the rod coming from the dozer blade hook into something?

there’s minimal downward pressure with the blade. 

48053E56-5093-4BA2-A8F4-2B1781CE7020.jpeg

Hold on, let me go outside and take a picture of mine.

You're missing directional control.

The lift mechanism can be either a chain or a bar. If it's the chain there won't be any down pressure.

• Like 2

ebinmaine

That rod is your left/right PIVOT (word of the day there!!)

There should be a handle attached. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

haydendavid380

20210308_105537.jpg.2f6da43fd4f24868e12c927c0ae03aad.jpg

20210308_105546.jpg.9eb39846b8d1b61cb5e1102ab3becd4d.jpg

20210308_105555.jpg.3415ad3fa16ba4edcacfc78efe73241e.jpg

krystolo

It has a bar. Looks like it’s broken off, though. Maybe it’s supposed to go longer?

image.jpg

Edited by krystolo
Added more I fo

Handy Don
55 minutes ago, krystolo said:

She’s here!

it looks like that cable runs over a pin in the rear rockshaft (just out of the picture at the top) and then through the tube to the mid-tractor rockshaft.

Keeping it where it is: a) the cable might rub against the lower edge of the seat/tank holder bracket and/or the pin in the rear rock shaft and wear any or all due to the friction, b) the angle gives you a bit less lifting leverage and my guess is a bit less up/down range on the lift.

That the arm broke makes me suspicious that it was suddenly (or repeatedly?) overloaded. I'd check all of the lift mechanism carefully for other damage or excess wear.

Ideally, get the arm replaced by grinding off the stub and then welding on a new one (⅜ bar stock).

At least the PO knew to put the cable clamps on in opposite directions!

Good luck!

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 1

Pullstart

I’d say the height of the lift arm on that rear hitch is slightly critical for proper operation and as @Handy Don mentioned, to keep it rubbing in the wrong places.  Congrats on your new arrival!