krystolo

Am I asking too much of a C160?

krystolo

I'm in the market for a hard working garden tractor to help around my 5 acre horse farm (rented land shared by 6 horse ladies).

General chores include: scraping down dry lots (remove manure piles), dragging sand arena and fields with 4' drag harrow, spraying, spreading fertilizer, light grading, spreading gravel/sand, and maybe moving manure piles if I can get a scoop or loader.

Land is fairly level.

Mechanic skills - advanced beginner, but willing to try

I found a C160 with 3 different blades, a rake, a plow, and a compressor for $1500.  Is this a good deal?

Thanks!  This site is just a wealth of knowledge!

ETA- We'd absolutely love a bigger tractor, but I'm not sure it's going to work due to the following:

Some of the co-op members aren't comfortable with big equipment

Budget of $1500

Need something small because many of our turnouts are narrow (12-15')

Storage area limited

Edited by krystolo
  • Like 7

roadapples

Pictures would be a big help, but C160 would be my first choice...

And welcome to Red Square...

Edited by roadapples

Pullstart

:text-welcomeconfetti:  The C-160 came with an 8 speed or a hydro.  Both have their advantages.  Both are bruts!  With enough weight (traction), there is no reason it couldn’t do all the things you listed and then some :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

oliver2-44

I’ve done a lot of grading, leveling and general dirt work with my C160 Auto and 312-8. I use fluid filled turf tires and 60lbs weight per rear wheel.  I my opinion the chains out perform Ag tires for this type work. 

• Like 3

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Good choice...!

ebinmaine
9 hours ago, krystolo said:

found a C160 with 3 different blades, a rake, a plow, and a compressor for $1500.  Is this a good deal?

:text-welcomeconfetti:

As stated above pictures would help us see what the value is. 

Also as stated above... WEIGHT is going to be your friend. 

More weight equals more TRACTION. 

A good running C160 is considered a dream tractor to many folks. 

• Like 1

krystolo

B710B951-C5F2-4989-90EB-D7A413C85AD0.png

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

krystolo

367455B0-6CFF-4DAC-95A3-4280AC83F3BD.png

• Like 3

krystolo

1ABEAAE7-6849-4054-8687-25BCC405353B.png

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

krystolo

13517031-F5A3-4762-84BD-381B4660329F.png

• Excellent 1

rjg854

Appears to be in good shape, what's the condition of the other implements?

rjg854

I see you just posted those, BTW :WRS:

squonk

How many actual Horses are talking on this farm?  I am prolly in the minority here but I think you'd be better off with a compact diesel tractor.

• Like 5

953 nut
9 hours ago, krystolo said:

found a C160 with 3 different blades, a rake, a plow, and a compressor for $1500.  Is this a good deal?

:WRS:

A well maintained :wh: will last forever and you would have to spend that much for a riding mower at the Big Box stores. Sounds like that package deal will accomplish all the tasks you have in mind for it. If one of the blades is a mid-mount grader blade (pictured below) you will find that it is great for leveling roads and they bring around $ 400 alone. 

You posted the pictures while I was typing, looks like a great buy to me.

1804394451_310009.JPG.7a162850b7c2372307256cb927476737.JPG

• Like 4

krystolo

0316EB63-04E5-4B6E-B4AD-7B6269FEDF76.png

• Like 1

haydendavid380

I'd buy all that for $1500 in a heartbeat. 

• Like 1

krystolo

IMG_1429.PNG

krystolo

Thanks, everyone! I don't have a picture of the rake, but I believe it's a landscape rake.

The back lift looks a little strange to me.  Is this the normal set up for the cable to attach to a ball hitch? Maybe something is broken?

krystolo
21 minutes ago, squonk said:

How many actual Horses are talking on this farm?  I am prolly in the minority here but I think you'd be better off with a compact diesel tractor.

We have 10 horses.  I would LOOOOOVE a compact tractor, but, it's not in the budget.  We've been managing for 5 years with a shovel and a wheelbarrow, so anything is going to be  a step up.  LOL  In all seriousness, what we've been doing is renting a skid steer a couple of times a year for big cleanouts, but it would be really nice to have something to keep things tidy on a weekly basis and not let the gunk build up. I've been using my car to drag fields and the arena, but about to get a newer car and don't really want the wear and tear on it.

We have a zero turn for mowing, but it really can't handle the dragging, and of course doesn't grade/push.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, krystolo said:

Thanks, everyone! I don't have a picture of the rake, but I believe it's a landscape rake.

The back lift looks a little strange to me.  Is this the normal set up for the cable to attach to a ball hitch? Maybe something is broken?

I notice a trailer wire there too. 

Just some information on parts availability. 

You have NO concern about getting replacement pieces. 

There are plenty of great people here on Redsquare alone. There's also A to Z Tractor in Pennsylvania. Wheelhorse parts and more, one of our vendors. 

Many of the parts originally used were "industry standards" and easy to find nowadays. 

GO GET IT!!!!!

That is a great deal. 

• Like 2

SPINJIM

Looks like it has already been worked hard, modified, and repainted.  Could still be a lot of life left in it, but test the engine and trans as much as you can.  Put it up against a tree or wall, and see whether you can get the wheels to spin.   Check the frame for cracks where it bolts on to the transmission.   It's a beast of a tractor, but still has its limitations.   Good luck.

Jim

Edited by SPINJIM
  • Like 2

Pullstart

That rear hitch looks funny because the pin is halfway out.  It seems like this same machine came up for discussion a month or two ago, for about the same price but I don’t know if the attachments were with it or mentioned.  Like @SPINJIM mentioned, test it out thoroughly.  It’s still for sale for a reason, if that’s the same one I remember.

• Like 2

krystolo

I'll try to find the other thread.  Thanks!

squonk

My B I L and his wife have 4 horses Between manure and hay their JD compact is worked to it's limits. I have a C-160 and love it. But you're talking about a 50 odd year old tractor with a hydro transmission. I don't think it's a long term solution. How bout something like a Farmall Cub ?

• Like 4

Pullstart

I’ve been searching too.  Don’t get me wrong, a C160 is still a monster worker.  Just make sure it’s been cared for!  There is a dipstick under the seat for the transmission/hydro pump.  Make sure that’s up to level.  It may be transmission fluid (red) or 10W30 oil (clear/brown). Look for any metal flake or glimmer in the oil and smell it to make sure it’s not burnt.  Whatever fluid is in a transmission, always stick with that.  Check for steering tightness and any leaks around the rear wheel hubs and engine.  Look for any grease residue near moving parts to see about maintenance performed, etc.  Of course, engine oil too :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3