Wheel Horse 3D

Micro Backhoe????

Wheel Horse 3D

Sooo if I can manage to bore the spindles I'll have less than $100 into the whole 1250lb setup!

Wheel Horse 3D
On 5/5/2021 at 6:57 PM, ebinmaine said:

Yeah ya done good there. 

Any fab shops anywhere near you?

Maybe they'd give you a decent deal?

Cheapest quote thus far was 90 bucks plus. Still have an ear out for someone with a bit larger lathe I could borrow lol, Doing it on the mini will at LEAST require drilling a bit then changing to a longer bit or bar,(if at all possible) and repeating the process till i got to depth then finish the ID on the way out.With the shopsmith there may be a tiny bit off center, but that really wouldn't matter in this application. Dunno gonna have to get some roundstock and give it a shot at some point! Heck might be easier to get tubing with the 3/4 Id and machine the outer bearing surface.

Edited by Wheel Horse 3D

wallfish
4 hours ago, Wheel Horse 3D said:

Cheapest quote thus far was 90 bucks plus. Still have an ear out for someone with a bit larger lathe I could borrow lol, Doing it on the mini will at LEAST require drilling a bit then changing to a longer bit or bar,(if at all possible) and repeating the process till i got to depth then finish the ID on the way out.With the shopsmith there may be a tiny bit off center, but that really wouldn't matter in this application. Dunno gonna have to get some roundstock and give it a shot at some point! Heck might be easier to get tubing with the 3/4 Id and machine the outer bearing surface.

I used 3/4 ID x 1" OD tube and then used a small piece of (I think ) 1" ID x 1 1/4 tube for the seal side. Much easier than boring out 1" spindles. If your 3/4 spindles don't have a threaded hole in the end you will need to drill and tap them to hold the bearings. Washer shims take up any slack for holding the bearings

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Wheel Horse 3D
7 minutes ago, wallfish said:

I used 3/4 ID x 1" OD tube and then used a small piece of (I think ) 1" ID x 1 1/4 tube for the seal side. Much easier than boring out 1" spindles. If your 3/4 spindles don't have a threaded hole in the end you will need to drill and tap them to hold the bearings. Washer shims take up any slack for holding the bearings

Was figuring as a weld on kit, so if i went the tube route id get 1 1/4 or 1.5 stock with .75 ID, machine down the 1" bearing surface, then tap the end for a crown nut to tighten down the bearings. Could do a slide on kit that way and have the crown nut cotter pin go through both the 1" and .75 axles at the outter end.

Charbs152
On 2/26/2021 at 11:21 AM, Wheel Horse 3D said:

I HATE SHOVELS! Snow shovels, grain shovels, coal shovels, track shovels,flat, round, skinny(never mind I own at least one of every kind I can think of) I am an equal opportunity shovel hater! I don't mind rakes, hoes,or even the spud bar, but shovels.......

every man has a few favorite hoes.

• Haha 4

MikMacMike
42 minutes ago, Charbs152 said:

every man has a few favorite hoes.

Hoe Hoe Hoe Merry Wheel Hoe to all, ops Horse to al hehehehehehe!

• Haha 2

Wheel Horse 3D

K Dug is finally officially Dig Dug!

20210624_200052.jpg

20210624_200044.jpg

20210624_200033.jpg

• Excellent 4
  • Thanks 1

Wheel Horse 3D

Next steps!

Front spindle upgrade

Wide rear installation with spacers

Steering upgrade??

(Some of the steering stifness is due to no weight currently in the box.)

• Like 1

Wheel Horse 3D

New rear tires!

16248098739624502071061055348338.jpg

16248099004918506737671179438078.jpg

16248099173004492462224292534907.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

Wheel Horse 3D

@ebinmaine missed yall and @OldWorkHorse the show! What were the details on the spacers you mentioned somewhere? Sticks in my mind for a ford ranger?

• Like 1

ebinmaine
33 minutes ago, Wheel Horse 3D said:

@ebinmaine missed yall and @OldWorkHorse the show! What were the details on the spacers you mentioned somewhere? Sticks in my mind for a ford ranger?

I've got a list I keep in my notes I can send you. 

Links off the flea bay for products I used. 

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine

PM sent

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wheel Horse 3D

Some other tweaks and mods...

Replace shaker mounts with something non-shaker

I had noticed a rub/buzz that happened at certain times especially when leaning to the right. It went away after @pullstart and I did a little modification to be sure the pump pulley cleared properly. I'm sure it was due to flex in the shaker mounts and I can see that flex when engaging the pump.

Check and shim any play out of the steering system

Do SOMETHING with the seat lol.

• Like 1

Pullstart

I wouldn’t worry too much about the seat, unless you go full on dig/dug hoe turn table seat...  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Wheel Horse 3D
Just now, pullstart said:

I wouldn’t worry too much about the seat, unless you go full on dig/dug hoe turn table seat...  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Haven't decided turntable or flip over back. But the current one is still sticky from the flex seal attempt!  Worked great at sealing the cracks, but everywhere else just didn't cure right.

• Thanks 1

Pullstart
9 minutes ago, Wheel Horse 3D said:

Haven't decided turntable or flip over back. But the current one is still sticky from the flex seal attempt!  Worked great at sealing the cracks, but everywhere else just didn't cure right.

Look at this guy... strong back and weak mind!  Already forgot about that!  What about another heavy coat of it to super flex seal it?

Wheel Horse 3D
Just now, pullstart said:

What about another heavy coat of it to super flex seal it?

That may work and would be an easy temp fix. Just gotta be sure to go thick all over i guess

• Like 1

Wheel Horse 3D

Ooh and bucket pivot pin upgrades, thinking maybe ill upgrade all the pivots the same way.

Grade 8s all the way around.

16249140869812435976931506115748.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Wheel Horse 3D

Dug and Dad gettin a little work done!

16249258597007013124915958375231.jpg

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

Wheel Horse 3D

Got the bucket pivots replaced and those bolts worked perfectly! So now Im gonna replace the other pivots and add in washers wherever needed to remove a bit of wiggle in there.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

How many tons of dirt have you transported yet Grey?

Wheel Horse 3D

20 minutes ago, pullstart said:

How many tons of dirt have you transported yet Grey?

Just a light bucket of gravel thus far. Mostly scraping and smoothing. There IS a big mound of clay in the dog yard I could push around a bit, and I've been meaning to bury some dog houses for the pack(55 gal plastic barrels) Mrs. Is already asking me to move flower beds and whatnot! Also gonna have to regrade my front yard entrance slope for Dug, that weight box doesn't allow me much angle.Something I'll take into consideration when I get around to the backhoe.

Also gonna have to add me a lifting shackle, tons of stuff I can think of lifting with a strap.

Edited by Wheel Horse 3D
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Wheel Horse 3D

I posted In the "What did ya do today" the fuel issue I had with Dug, but want to put it here as well for the record. Got a hold of a bad can of gas and ended up flushing the tank and lines, two squirts of starter fluid to get everything goin, and were golden! Did a little bit of carb adjustment while I was at it and got a much lower idle than before and now have a better throttle range. Re adjusted the pump tension a little. This evening will be putting in all the other pivots.

• Like 1

Wheel Horse 3D

Grade 8 7/16 x 20  1.5" for lug nut switch over.

16250714677596805858186533285605.jpg

• Like 1

Handy Don
8 hours ago, Wheel Horse 3D said:

tons of stuff I can think of lifting with a strap

When your favorite tool is a loader, every problem looks like a movable load! :lol:

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 1