redmixedwithgreen

8 speed 1-1/8 axle

redmixedwithgreen

My trans isn't working correctly, the tractor would not move forward in any gear. I was able to get it into the garage by pushing it. In the garage I started the tractor, push in the clutch, shift into every position and nothing happens. I can feel some internal movement when I attempt to move the hi/lo lever, but nothing when engaging gears. The hi/lo lever shifts normally, as does the gear shift. I pulled the trans from the tractor. As the trans sits on the floor, I hold the drive pulley still, I am able to turn the hubs while the transmission is engaged in all gears fwd and reverse, and I can feel some grinding. There seems to be no connection between drive input and the output gears. I am assuming I will be taking it apart, but before I do I was wondering if someone may have an idea what might be wrong.

Thanks in advance.....

Edited by redmixedwithgreen
  • Like 1

8ntruck

:text-welcomeconfetti:to the forum.  Bunch of good folks here.  Somebody has probably had and fixed the same issue you are having.  Most likely, they will chime in here very soon.

Back to basics.  Are the hubs and input pulley slipping on the axles or input shaft?

Also, what happened when your tractor stopped moving?  Any odd noises from the transmission before it stopped?

You might pull the shifter out to make sure the end has not broken off - that does happen from time to time.

Edited by 8ntruck

redmixedwithgreen

Thanks for responding. Initially I was snow blowing, no real load on the trans. After 1/2 hour of snow blowing I was headed down the driveway to the neighbors. The tractor locked up going down hill in first gear. It actually stalled the engine... I restarted the engine, went to engage the trans and there was a lot of grinding. It eventually went up the driveway another 20 feet then stalled the engine again. In neutral I restarted the engine, no engine trouble at all until I engaged the trans. again.. I pushed it into the garage. It sat for 2 days. This morning I started the tractor, engage the trans, no movement in the trans. in any gear. I could feel the hi/lo gear spinning as I move  the lever back and forth , it feels normal. I pulled the trans out, it sits on the floor. I just went and checked the movements of the hubs and input shaft. I can hold either shaft still while I spin the other, in any/every direction...it is this way in all gears and hi or lo. No connection between input / output. It feels as though a gear is stripped completely or the woodruff key is gone, as I spin one and hold the other I feel something "rubbing"  or not engaging.

Edited by redmixedwithgreen
  • Sad 1

The Tuul Crib

Sounds like you need to open that transmission up and see what's going on inside. Plus @stevasaurus can be 

very helpful!!

:text-welcomeconfetti:t😎:rs:

Edited by The Tuul Crib

oliver2-44

This is the manual for your transmission.  Click on the fuzzy picture to open it.  Also the instructional Threads section has lots of good info on transmissions.

redmixedwithgreen

Thanks for the info. Im hoping I only have an issue with the woodruff key driving the gear cluster....  #40 ....this info is greatly appreciated.

• Like 2

953 nut

:WRS:

Sorry about your problem but glad you found us. Prior to taking the transmission apart remove the hubs from the axles. Do not use a 3 jaw puller or a big hammer for this as the hubs are cast iron and will break, this thread should be helpful.

JoeM

I was going to ask if the brake drum turns when the input is turned. That will tell you something. But since you have it out remove the wheel hubs and brake drum, and stand it up on end . I use a hollow concrete block setting on a couple 4x4 blocks. I don't have one of those fance stands! lol Split the case and see. @stevasaurus has some real nice repair / assembly videos. 

wheel horse parts and more has high quality seals, gaskets, and parts for transmixers. 

Good luck, welcome and keep us updated.

Pic of one just going back together, paper instructions in background, wife was busy.

1177005300_transmissiongoingbacktogetherpic1.jpg.1dbcaf8b74129a4a0b3aeb38177304fe.jpg

stevasaurus

One question...when the trans is in neutral, turn one axle...does the other axle turn in the opposite direction??  I know you can hold one still while turning the other...that is normal.  If one wheel turns opposite, That would tell me your differential is OK..

While it is possible one of those little wood ruff keys in the cluster gear shaft went bad...that is not a usual thing...but the fact that you can get into any gear and hi or low and nothing feels like it is engaging, says it may be one of those wood ruff keys.  I'm not sure you would get any grinding though, if it was just a key.

Make sure you open up the trans with the shallow (input ) side down.  Here is a video of what to look for in your 8 speed.

• Excellent 1

redmixedwithgreen

When I turn one wheel hub the other turns in the opposite direction. When I turn the drive pulley the brake drum turns the opposite direction, and the drive pulley and brake drum are connected, they are solid, no slipping when I hold one to spin the other, in every gear. I work as a machinist, so I know the feeling of an out of round shaft, or gears missing teeth etc... to me, as I turn the input shaft and hold the wheel hub, I can feel as though there is something rubbing or a high spot in the drive pulley shaft. Its not something timed consistently like gear  teeth rubbing would be, its more of an intermittent rubbing.  That's why I think its the woodruff key. I will be taking it apart for sure. Thanks for your help everybody, I do appreciate it. 

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

stevasaurus

What did you find??  :eusa-think:  :confusion-confused:

Oldskool
4 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

What did you find??  :eusa-think:  :confusion-confused:

Maybe the hubs wouldnt come off?

:confusion-confused:

redmixedwithgreen

Sorry I havent responded, Ive been busy at work. I found the same trans locally, so I bought it and put it in the tractor. I will post here the finding in the broken trans when I take it apart. I hope to do it soon.  Thanks for all the help!

• Like 1