Raposo

416H Ultimate Mowing Machine

Raposo

Hey guys, I recently sold my 48" walk behind exmark that I used to mow my 1.5 acres with. It needed some much needed love that I wasn't willing to put into it after owning it for 12 years. And I was tired of walking. So I figured it was time to build a mowing machine out of the wheel horse parts I have been accumulating for this very project. 

I had some criteria:

1. I knew I wanted at least a 300 series but preferred a 400 series. 

2. I knew I wanted an automatic because I have a lot of twists and turns and enjoy "striping" my lawn and often times its challenging with a manual, I also wanted the power lift option. 

3. I knew I wanted a kohler power plant, preferably a magnum 

4. I knew I wanted a power bagger setup

So I started gathering parts....First thing I found was a Magnum 16 engine that appeared to be in excellent shape, so I grabbed that. 

Then I found a Toro Wheel Horse 416xt with mint rims and tires, seat with cub holder, 42" mower deck in great shape with power bagger and "wheel horse" soft bag kit

I was starting to gain momentum. 

Then I found a 416H without a seat, engine and wheels and tires so I scooped that up. 

Then started mashing them all together. 

• Like 4

Raposo

Here is the 416-h 

7A2880B9-DC39-4901-BFFC-6F038168D693.jpeg

• Like 3

Raposo

Here is the parts machine I grabbed the seat, cup holder, bagger, deck and blower, wheels and tires. You can see the magnum hiding in the background 

0AC4F271-74E5-4866-BD8A-4879EA1B3C3B.jpeg

Edited by Raposo
  • Like 2

Raposo

New rear tires and slid the mower deck underneath the tractor 

0FEBBFC0-E5F4-4812-B36C-B9544FB1ADE5.jpeg

52B460FC-278F-4CEC-B3C9-C25BEAEE628A.jpeg

• Like 3

Raposo

I was concerned with the 42” deck that the rear deck wheel would his the rear rims and tires but they clear with 2” or so.

got the seat on and the magnum mocked up. 

9B72EA3F-1B32-41F5-B715-884421303555.jpeg

9D7A9D1B-278A-4F62-A49A-B047607E83E7.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

Raposo

She sure is mean looking! 

the exhaust on the magnum 16 is 1 1/4” pipe versus the 1” you see on the magnum 12’s that I’m used to. Already spoke to kemp and he’s going to make me a muffler that has a 1 1/4” inlet. 

5F90F122-93CE-43DC-88FE-3B660B1E6ADF.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

Raposo

In her current state, pulled the fuel pump to clean her all up, pulled the factory carb (there was no saving it) I soaked it for 4 days and I couldn’t get the black tar out of the carb unfortunately. I ordered a replacement from Norm at I save tractors. Waiting for that to come in. I was also able to move the ignition switch from the self contained magnum to the dash on the tractor. I also ran all new fuel lines. One I get the carb I will drop a battery in and the new carb in and fire it up and get it moving around make sure everything works. 

F2F72CD6-6742-4801-9AF7-16B1D9C60BBB.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 3

peter lena

RAPOSO, sounds and looks like you are well underway , hitting all the details  too!. question , are you planning to use that rear bagger? or go to a bigger deck with side discharge? that 16 would be a beast at cutting large areas , how about a front mounted mower frame set up ? just asking to see what you are thinking about doing . been cutting 42 r/d decks for years ,  think they are the best set up , good luck with your plan , pete

• Thanks 1

Bill D

Be careful with the wiring.  The Onan used a powered ignition (think K Series), the magnum has a magneto and needs to be grounded to stop the engine.  DO NOT put 12V to the magneto or you will fry it.  Use a 5 pin relay in place of the coil on the Onan.  Wire the grounding wire from the magneto thru the normally closed contacts of the relay to shut the engine down.  Sorry if you already know this, I hate to see someone blow up a Magneto.  Bill

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

8ntruck

What kind of PTO clutch are you thinking of using?  I'm going to guess that your 16hp Magnum does not have the thrust bearings that a manual PTO clutch requires.  An electric PTO clutch would not require the thrust bearing.

Looks like a fun project.

• Like 1

Raposo
2 hours ago, peter lena said:

RAPOSO, sounds and looks like you are well underway , hitting all the details  too!. question , are you planning to use that rear bagger? or go to a bigger deck with side discharge? that 16 would be a beast at cutting large areas , how about a front mounted mower frame set up ? just asking to see what you are thinking about doing . been cutting 42 r/d decks for years ,  think they are the best set up , good luck with your plan , pete

I have a 48” mower deck that I plan on refurbishing and swapping all the power bagger items over to. But the 42” deck will work for now. I also have a 42” recycler deck and a 44” cub cadet SD deck. So I have lots of options but this will see the main mowing duty! 

I do plan on hanging the bags off the back and installing the chute! Should help with detaching and leaves also!

ebinmaine

Looks like a great runner. 

Nice work. :handgestures-thumbup:

• Thanks 1

Raposo
50 minutes ago, Bill D said:

Be careful with the wiring.  The Onan used a powered ignition (think K Series), the magnum has a magneto and needs to be grounded to stop the engine.  DO NOT put 12V to the magneto or you will fry it.  Use a 5 pin relay in place of the coil on the Onan.  Wire the grounding wire from the magneto thru the normally closed contacts of the relay to shut the engine down.  Sorry if you already know this, I hate to see someone blow up a Magneto.  Bill

The magnum I picked up was a fully self contained unit, it had a gas tank and a key switch right on it. 

the ignition it uses only has 3 wires. I plan on just lengthening the wires and relocating the switch on the dash in the factory location for right now. The engine has its own coil all wired up. 

once I know everything works as it should on this beast I will remove all the old Onan stuff and wire this up like a standard magnum machine with the safety switches since this is a mowing machine!

Raposo
53 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

What kind of PTO clutch are you thinking of using?  I'm going to guess that your 16hp Magnum does not have the thrust bearings that a manual PTO clutch requires.  An electric PTO clutch would not require the thrust bearing.

Looks like a fun project.

the 416 came with a magnum 16 for a short time, how would one know this doesn’t have thrust bearings versus a machine with thrust bearings like a 314 or a 312 or even a 310? 

I planned on using a factory wheel horse PTO set up.

Raposo
3 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Looks like a great runner. 

Nice work. :handgestures-thumbup:

thank you sir!

• Like 1

JAinVA

Your Magnum has ball bearings supporting  the crank so PTO is not an issue,

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
11 minutes ago, Raposo said:

thank you sir!

I get a kick out of seeing several non usable machines recycled to one that does. And does it well. 

• Like 2

Raposo
14 minutes ago, JAinVA said:

Your Magnum has ball bearings supporting  the crank so PTO is not an issue,

Thank you! I thought so! 

Raposo
14 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I get a kick out of seeing several non usable machines recycled to one that does. And does it well. 

same here, I love putting something together that, when it’s done would make people stop, look at it and think, hmm that’s not right?! 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Raposo

Got the engine tins painted tonight and the engine block washed down. 

image.jpg

• Like 3

Bill D
7 hours ago, Raposo said:

The magnum I picked up was a fully self contained unit, it had a gas tank and a key switch right on it. 

the ignition it uses only has 3 wires. I plan on just lengthening the wires and relocating the switch on the dash in the factory location for right now. The engine has its own coil all wired up. 

once I know everything works as it should on this beast I will remove all the old Onan stuff and wire this up like a standard magnum machine with the safety switches since this is a mowing machine!

Use a wiring diagram for a GT1642 to wire it.  Very simple harness, no idiot lights.  Just one modification, run the line side of the headlight switch to the A terminal on the ignition switch.  The GT series used an AC alternator output to run the headlights and separate 3 amp DC output for battery charging.  Your M16 should have a 15 amp charging system.  Bill

• Thanks 1

Raposo

Bill, good to know! It will be nice to get all the onan nonsense out of there! 

Edited by Raposo

Raposo

Picked up this NOS bearing race and pulley! Great price and super fast shipping 

F94E7E13-B6CD-431A-9A2B-6E743B40A6E4.jpeg

• Like 1

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, Raposo said:

Picked up this NOS bearing race and pulley! Great price and super fast shipping 

F94E7E13-B6CD-431A-9A2B-6E743B40A6E4.jpeg

I've picked up a few things from Brian too. 

Been very impressed.  

Bill D
On 2/18/2021 at 6:08 AM, Raposo said:

Bill, good to know! It will be nice to get all the onan nonsense out of there! 

@gwest_ca can provide you with the wiring diagram you need to build the harness.  Put the old harness up in the classified section, someone may want it.

Edited by Bill D