Oldskool

Something from nothing?

Oldskool
7 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

You are correct that that's a pinion. 

If the other 4 holes are empty you have a 4 pinion. 

@stevasaurus shouldn't this have 8?

Next question is what would it take to make an 8 pinion?

stevasaurus

What is the diameter of the axles??  If they are 1" then that is 4 pinions.  At first I was going to say 8, but after looking at it, I don't see the pinion shafts in those empty holes.  What do the empty holes look like on the other side??  It is possible that the differential is machined for 8, but with 1" axles it only has 4.  It is also possible that someone has been in there, and took out 4 of the 8 pinions.  Open it up...and show us some pictures.  :confusion-confused:

Answer the questions and then we can go from there.  If that is a 4 pinion with 1" axles, it will take an 8 pinion differential to make it an 8 pinion and then the axles will be 1 1/8".

• Excellent 1

Oldskool
4 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

What is the diameter of the axles??  If they are 1" then that is 4 pinions.  At first I was going to say 8, but after looking at it, I don't see the pinion shafts in those empty holes.  What do the empty holes look like on the other side??  It is possible that the differential is machined for 8, but with 1" axles it only has 4.  It is also possible that someone has been in there, and took out 4 of the 8 pinions.  Open it up...and show us some pictures.  :confusion-confused:

Answer the questions and then we can go from there.  If that is a 4 pinion with 1" axles, it will take an 8 pinion differential to make it an 8 pinion and then the axles will be 1 1/8".

They are 1-1/8" axles. It has all 8 holes on both sides. When I  cleaned it out the was 1 gear tooth laying in the bottom along with a random woodruff key. All my keys are accounted for. I would guess someone broke a pinion or 2 and took them out leaving the 4. I will crack it open later on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

stevasaurus

I have no idea where that key came from if all yours are accounted for.  Take a good look at the axle gears also.  Four extra pinions should be pretty easy to obtain.  Count the teeth, but I think they are all the same.  I still want to see pictures when you open it...please.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Oldskool
Just now, stevasaurus said:

I have no idea where that key came from if all yours are accounted for.  Take a good look at the axle gears also.  Four extra pinions should be pretty easy to obtain.  Count the teeth, but I think they are all the same.  I still want to see pictures when you open it...please.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Will do sir. Thanks for the help.

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

Four extra pinions should be pretty easy to obtain.  Count the teeth, but I think they are all the same

Large Bears in Southern Maine have pinions.

Of the few I've taken apart they are all the same size.  I'd probably send you 8 just in case... 

• Thanks 2

Oldskool

Before I leave the shop today I will have pics of the pinions.

• Thanks 1

stevasaurus

Thinking about that wood ruff key.  You have one for each hub on the axles.  One for the input pulley.  One for the Brake drum. Two, one on each end of the cluster gear shaft...for the little pinion gear and for the larger reduction gear.

• Excellent 1

Oldskool
Just now, stevasaurus said:

Thinking about that wood ruff key.  You have one for each hub on the axles.  One for the input pulley.  One for the Brake drum. Two, one on each end of the cluster gear shaft...for the little pinion gear and for the larger reduction gear.

Hmmm it may be interesting when I crack that open then. I will try for sooner then later.

• Like 1

Oldskool

Weill I found out where that tooth came from. 

20210219_170104.jpg

• Sad 2

Oldskool

Then it just gets worse.

20210219_170113.jpg

• Sad 1

Oldskool

And worse

20210219_171124.jpg

20210219_171136.jpg

• Sad 2

stevasaurus

OMG...somebody was in here before you...that is not factory...where did you get this from??   You might save the differential end plates and bull gear by grinding those bad welds, but finding a whole new differential might be easier.  A-Z Tractors (vendor).  That's one heck of a paper weight.  I can't even think what the guy that did that was thinking.  :confusion-confused:

The "C" clips may be OK.

• Like 1

Oldskool
15 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

OMG...somebody was in here before you...that is not factory...where did you get this from??   You might save the differential end plates and bull gear by grinding those bad welds, but finding a whole new differential might be easier.  A-Z Tractors (vendor).  That's one heck of a paper weight.  I can't even think what the guy that did that was thinking.  :confusion-confused:

The "C" clips may be OK.

I got it from a falling down shed. lol Luckily the pinions aren't welded to the end plates. 😄 maybe Eric can set me up

Edited by Oldskool
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Handy Don
20 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

The "C" clips may be OK.

A puller. Essentially a live axle. I'd guess it's not hard to break a tooth that way.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
26 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

I got it from a falling down shed. lol Luckily the pinions aren't welded to the end plates. 😄 maybe Eric can set me up

I might even.....

Soooopah nice weld job there. 

Oldskool
6 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I might even.....

Soooopah nice weld job there. 

BAHAHAHA I know right. Looks like they welded and ground the shaft too.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

ebinmaine

Actual Hubba Bubba bubble gum would likely hold just as well. 

Man that stuff was good as a kid.

Grape 🍇 and regular flavor. 

ebinmaine

Lemme go root around the trans-smashon shelf on th' morrow and I'll see what I can do to huntup sum pahts. 

• Like 1

Oldskool
39 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Actual Hubba Bubba bubble gum would likely hold just as well. 

Man that stuff was good as a kid.

Grape 🍇 and regular flavor. 

Oh heck I would eat the heck out of that grape

• Haha 1

Oldskool
38 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Lemme go root around the trans-smashon shelf on th' morrow and I'll see what I can do to huntup sum pahts. 

I appreciate that

• Thanks 1

Oldskool

What goes in this hole

20210219_193517.jpg

ebinmaine
Just now, Oldskool said:

What goes in this holeimageproxy.php?img=&key=74de1d643bd8402f

20210219_193517.jpg

Looks like a carriage bolt to me bub. 

:hide:

Sorry. It was there.  I. Well I had to. 

• Haha 4

Oldskool
5 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Looks like a carriage bolt to me bub. 

:hide:

Sorry. It was there.  I. Well I had to. 

Hahaha funny man. No serious, on a wheel horse what goes in that hole at the bottom of the transmission mount.

Oldskool

1 step forward on the frame. 2 steps back on the transmission.

20210219_191846.jpg

• Like 1