wh500special

New 600 hp outboard motor.

wh500special

Mercury marine unleashed their newest outboard motor on the world today. 

A 600-hp, 7.6L, $77000, 1200 lb, 2-speed, V12 beast.   

I’d imagine the target market for this is more

likely to have multiples of these on the transom than just a single.  

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/engines/outboard/verado/verado-600hp/

Wow. I thought my 90 was a big motor.  

steve 

71313EE6-054F-4CE5-A1A3-69FB5CC4126E.png

Edited by wh500special
  • Like 5

Jeff-C175

Wow... that is freakin' amazin!  I've always had a soft spot for Mercs ever since I had my little 8' Hydroplane with a 35 on it some 50 years ago.  And I thought that was fast!

Holy cow... 600HP outboard!  YIKES!  I wonder what the bore is?  Pistons the size of shot glasses?  How on Earth can they make a V12 outboard?  This I've gotta see.  Making some calls tomorrow.

1200 pounds?  Need a crane to install it!

IF (and that's a real big IF) I ever got another boat it would be a "Jersey Speed Skiff' with a big block Chevy.

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

8ntruck

The crazy thing is the demo boats the press was turned loose in had two, three or FOUR of the things bolted to the transom.  Top speeds were in the 70's.  Boats were probably on the 30' to 50' in length.

Let's see - 4x77,000 = 308,000 dollars. :jaw:  You've still got to pay for the boat!

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

ebinmaine
4 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Pistons the size of shot glasses

7.6 liter....

Can't be all that tiny...

Good gravy that's an engine. 

• Like 2

Maxwell-8
5 hours ago, wh500special said:

A 600-hp, 7.6L, $77000, 1200 lb, 2-speed, V12 beast

TURBO it!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Heart 1

SylvanLakeWH

Sensible fishing motor...

Gotta get to the fish before they leave...

:auto-layrubber:

• Haha 9

Maxwell-8

• Like 2

Pullstart

Wow.  I had a 2.9 Merc on Grandpa’s old fishing boat and I was king of the water with my dog at the bow!

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

Jeff-C175
4 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Can't be all that tiny...

No, you're right.  A little quick cyphering:  7.6 L div by 12 = .63 L per cyl.  A 5.0 L V8 comes in right around that also. (of course, 2/3 the cylinders, 2/3 the displacement)

And @Maxwell-8 pointed out,  TURBO TOO!  Ye Gods!

"If she had a set of wings, man I know she could fly"

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Achto
9 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Let's see - 4x77,000 = 308,000 dollars. :jaw:  You've still got to pay for the boat!

4 X 600hp - :confusion-confused: I wonder what the fuel consumption is. I'm guessing right around 70gal per hour.

• Like 2

oldlineman

:text-yeahthat:Just what I was thinking but I guess if you can buy em you can feed em.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

stevasaurus

Probably a 4 stroke.  Can you imagine seeing that boat tied up to some trees sticking out of the water at Shelbyville and the guy is jerking Perch??  :hilarious:

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 3

wh500special

Yep, a 4-stroke.  With the demise of Evinrude last summer, all we have left are 4-strokes.

I wouldn't be surprised if one of these indeed makes it to Shelbyville someday.  Probably on the back of a pontoon.

The innovation in this engine really is less in the power producing portion and more in the transmission.  The gearcase swivels independent of the midsection so the upper portion of the assembly always maintains the same orientation with the boat.  Kind of neat and I guess was a way for Merc to use their pod-drive technology on this.

And the 2-speed transmission.

I've lamented for years that a 2-speed gearbox on an outboard would offer tremendous utility in helping to get heavy boats on plane and then being able to run them at high speeds once they've climbed out of the hole and power requirements drop.  And think how a low range gearbox would help those of us who like to troll.

Merc was playing up this introduction for a while and they were able to keep it under wraps very well.  I was fully expecting this to be an electric outboard of more reasonable size.   But gas is cheap and people have money to spend, so hard to fault where they are headed.

Impressive piece of equipment for sure.

Steve

Edited by wh500special
  • Like 3

ACman

And they don’t just make boat engines either. How about a 7.0L (427ci) 750hp Chevy LS with dual overhead cam four valves per cylinder for your hot rod . This crate engine is around $33k with wire harness and computer.0834F243-F89A-453B-8647-FDA4BB098F96.png.e970d07881e84b07cbcd79e8188eba61.png
https://www.mercuryracing.com/automotive/

Chevy even used Mercury to build their Lotus designed (Chevy owned them at the time) LT5 for the 1990-95 Corvette ZR-1 at the cost of 27k over the base price Corvette.

9016E89B-26BD-410C-A579-E7A5CED022D4.jpeg.edc3c378db6c2b5479a074181c08cf7e.jpeg

Edited by ACman
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

One of my co-drivers at work is looking at buying a 19 ft boat this spring for usage up here in Maine on medium to large lakes with rare forays into calm ocean.

Just yesterday he was researching what him and his wife were looking for and he found the info on this 600 horsepower engine.

Today him and one of my bosses who is heavily into boating we're talking about the power that would be on tap for something like this and he found the one online that shows four of these across the back end..

He looks at me with half a smile and he says... I should put four of those across the back of a 19-footer. That would probably move, eh??

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

lynnmor

Years ago a local pastor came to me asking for some charity work.  There was a young couple in his church that got themselves into a financial disaster and they needed to sell the boat, but the engine needed work.  I agreed and took the engine apart, it was the first large Mercury I ever worked on.  I was totally amazed at the design and craftsmanship used to build it, our small tractor engines are so crude compared to that outboard.  I'll bet that new engine is a total work of art.

• Thanks 1

wh500special
6 hours ago, ACman said:

And they don’t just make boat engines either. How about a 7.0L (427ci) 750hp Chevy LS with dual overhead cam four valves per cylinder for your hot rod . This crate engine is around $33k with wire harness and computer.0834F243-F89A-453B-8647-FDA4BB098F96.png.e970d07881e84b07cbcd79e8188eba61.png
https://www.mercuryracing.com/automotive/

Chevy even used Mercury to build their Lotus designed (Chevy owned them at the time) LT5 for the 1990-95 Corvette ZR-1 at the cost of 27k over the base price Corvette.

9016E89B-26BD-410C-A579-E7A5CED022D4.jpeg.edc3c378db6c2b5479a074181c08cf7e.jpeg

there was a short lived company making outboards with Chevy engines.  Seven marine. 

https://www.seven-marine.com

I think Volvo-Penta bought them.  Looks like they are no longer doing this. 

Mercury isn’t my brand of choice, but there is no denying that they build a good product. They have a huge dealer and distribution network and parent company (Brunswick) owns a number of boat builders.  In the US they are way ahead of everybody else in sales. 

dad still has the white 1961 Merc 6-horse he and his dad bought in the 60’s or 70’s to hang on the back of the 12’ Ouachita v-bottom that he also still has.  That little twin cylinder motor is a smooth running little sucker.   

Hard to believe it would take 100 of them to equal the power output of this newest offering.  

I realize that this IS progress and it’s ok for people to waste their money on whatever they want - boats, trucks, little red tractors - but it sure is weird to think this is the current status of things.  I can’t help but think this advancement might be marking the beginning of the end of conventional gas burning outboards.  

steve

• Like 1

8ntruck
9 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

One of my co-drivers at work is looking at buying a 19 ft boat this spring for usage up here in Maine on medium to large lakes with rare forays into calm ocean.

Just yesterday he was researching what him and his wife were looking for and he found the info on this 600 horsepower engine.

Today him and one of my bosses who is heavily into boating we're talking about the power that would be on tap for something like this and he found the one online that shows four of these across the back end..

He looks at me with half a smile and he says... I should put four of those across the back of a 19-footer. That would probably move, eh??

It would probably sink.  I think they weigh in at 1200 pounds.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

It would probably sink.  I think they weigh in at 1200 pounds.

He gonna needa bigger boat

• Haha 1