haydendavid380

Quantity or quality

haydendavid380

In your collection do you prefer to amass as many tractors as you can or do you focus on upgrading and tinkering on what you have?

• Like 3

ebinmaine

Quality. Absolutely. 

We have our 2 primary go-to workers.

Trina's Pigpen 867. My Cinnamon Horse C160. 

2 others that run and drive. 

Her Pony 657. My Patriot Horse B-80. 

2 more that do run and would be useable with a day's work, give or take. 

A '68 Raider 10 and the '70 Charger hydro project. 

And 3 future projects. 

Colossus. 

856 which will be a military tribute tractor. 

A '74 C160 Tecumseh that will be a future full restoration. 

ALL of ours are usable workers. 

We've now collected 5 implements which will be on different tractors. 

2 dozer plows. Mid mount grader blade. Generator. Mckissick chipper. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 5

Maxwell-8

I would rather have two or three solid tractors, then 10 flimsie tractors.

I bought WH's because I know they are solid, with prices averaging around 1000$ for a decent one here. I could have bought many regular mowers. or even an almost new mower., but the newer mowers aren't of good quality in my eyes.

And believe me, you rather have 1 mower, to is reliable, then having to work on 3 mowers just get your lawn mowed. 

I have 3 WH's at the moment, But all need some tranny work to make them solid (1 day work each). After that, i know they are gone last, and make it worth upgrading an tinkering on it, to make it just as you want. There lays the fun for me in it. 

Edited by Maxwell-8
  • Like 6

Maxwell-8
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Quality. Absolutely. 

We have our 2 primary go-to workers.

2 others that run and drive. 

2 more that do run and would be useable with a day's work, give or take

And 3 future projects. 

Looks like quantity is up there too sir :D

Edited by Maxwell-8
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

SylvanLakeWH

Yes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, Maxwell-8 said:

Looks like quantity is up there too sir :D

It is....

Yepp. 

It's interesting how when you have something like this, others will find you. 

Two of our future projects were gifts from other Redsquare folk.

Couple others, I wasn't even looking for a tractor at the time but I see them listed or someone mentions that they're for sale and the price is so low it's silly not to buy them..

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

JoeM

I think sometimes my eyes are bigger than my shop. 

I mostly like to have some purpose or fascination. 

Most of the time I will get one, start working on it, and then it blows up into a big project.

I am cutting back and selling but I can't stop looking. 

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

Maxwell-8
9 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

It's interesting how when you have something like this, others will find you. 

7 minutes ago, JoeM said:

bigger than my shop. 

Parents complaining about garage space taken by the horses and money are the only 2 things keeping me from buying more! My 314-8 wasn't supposed to be buying it, but i did. hhaha

Edited by Maxwell-8
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

AMC RULES

:wh:  They're all QUALITY to me. 

• Excellent 4

Pullstart

Weeeeeeaaalllll.......

We have quite a few.  I’d rather they all run and drive just perfect.  But then what would we do?  I have gotten a few package deals with a tractor that needs lots of lovin’ but with attachments that can be sold to offset the cost.  I have overpaid for some that don’t ever run or drive again.  

• Like 7
  • Excellent 2

The Tuul Crib

I would say the quality and the old iron . 
l work at a Hustler snd cub dealer and

its all quantity. Lot of stamped metal!

WH rules !!! :music-rockout:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 5

Maxwell-8
10 minutes ago, The Tuul Crib said:

I would say the quality and the old iron . 
l work at a Hustler snd cub dealer and

its all quantity. Lot of stamped metal!

WH rules !!! :music-rockout:

Cast Iron babey!

• Like 3

BeninCT

@Pollack Pete wow!  That is a LOT!  Would love to see a pic of the herd.

I have on WH and something green and another black/rust so 3 in total that all run. Have to run for me. If I had more space I would have a couple more.  Secretly dreaming of trading my Greene machine for a hydro WH to mow though.. 

• Like 5

squonk

1) "The Spirit of 76"  C-160 I've had about 12 years. First big Horse. Mower (gotta have hydro) and snow blower tractor. Little over 1000 hrs. Replaced the engine last spring.

2) "Skonkfest"  1267. Replaced engine 2 years ago with a K321 so now a 1467. Updated with Tach A Matics  so I can run modern deck and snowblower. Pretty much a show tractor. Drinks fuel with a little tank. :rolleyes: It is also main back up tractor for mowin and blowin.

3)   857 HHHOOOWWWAAARRRDDD!!!  Yes I bought it from everybody's favorite guy. :handgestures-thumbupright: Mostly a yard tug. Also Show cruiser because it sips fuel :) (see above) and he likes to get dirty. He once had a bug fogger on it and the exhaust pipe hook up remains.

4) 953 " Big Oly" Had it 2 years. Snowplow tractor. All weighted up and reinforced chains

5) 1075 "Wheel a Matic" Always wanted a Big-Block short framer.:auto-layrubber: Needed some TLC. Now a show cruiser (If we ever have another) and ride around the block mobile on sunny days. :auto-car:

• Like 4

peter lena

I have 3  , and not enough space for any more, best thing that I did was to set up one as the experimental baseline horse. correcting nagging issues and then applying the same set up to the other two. my 82- C-85 , frankenhorse  is my original , bought new in 82. 12 hp  magnum upgrade 2 years ago , heim joints , and any other experiment , has proven bombproof.  91-93   312-8 , picked up used and made them the same  in all areas , for solid reliability . 2 for plowing  ,one with a 36-42  blower , instant starts , very reliable.  they all cut grass with 42 " r/d decks , which also got the  reliability base line set up , chronic issues  are your best chance to eliminate them , just my own experience , pete

• Like 6

haydendavid380

I can see where it'd be easy to start racking up tractors.

You need/want a couple parts that are selling for over a hundred and you find complete units in the $2-300 range so you just get that. But then you might as well get that one fixed up so you buy another one and so on. Before you know it you're building more buildings to store them, but you now have more room so you buy more.

It's a vicious cycle 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

haydendavid380
55 minutes ago, rjg854 said:

I have six and that's plenty, but all run well.  So it's quality for me.  None are trailer queens by any stretch, because they all do some type of work.  And I like them to work right.  Maintaining 6 :wh: is almost a full time job along with the attachments. I could fit maybe one more  ;)

Now I understand why it's so difficult to find any :wh:s around here, somebody has been hoarding them:ychain:

Either they're total junk, or somewhat decent, and the owner thinks they are worth bars of gold.

We've all dealt with that. It seems that these hoarders are spread out evenly across the country at strategic 100 mile increments. That guy seemingly doesn't have any responsibilities and can be there with cash and a trailer in a moments notice. On this board if you can't automatically think of that guy in your area, it's a good chance that it's probably you 🤣

• Haha 7

David414

Have three. My original 1989 414-8 which is refurbished that I use for snow plowing,  snow throwing, moving dirt with blade, and towing items. A new to me 1991, 312-h that I aim refurbishing for my grandson, and a new to me, 520xi which is my long term FEL project. For me its quality. I rather make what I have better, stronger, safer, and always have that look like new condition, including the attachments.😀 When I gift the 312-h to my grandson, I will be at two. Perfect!

20201212_141249.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3