David414

PTO clutch lever

David414

I have a complete tear down of a new to me 312-h and I am wondering, has anyone ever completely removed the PTO clutch lever from the hood stand? The parts diagram shows that the lever is two pieces? Is this a factory weld after insertion through the hood stand? Currently, the PTO lever is still attached to the hood stand. Is it possible to remove?

Thanks,

David

20210131_151744.jpg

gwest_ca

One may need to remove the grip and move the lever through the hole. Bushing 5 may be split to make room so the bend will pass through.

Never had one apart.

Pto lever 1991 312a.jpg

Pto lever 1991 312b.jpg

• Like 2

Blackhood Bill

Remove number 7, then remove 4 & 6 it comes right out easy peezy.

• Like 1

oliver2-44

While your refurbishing it, consider replacing item 6  nylon bushing with a brass bushing. you can find one to fit from all those gray drawers at your ace or similar hardware store.

David414
16 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

One may need to remove the grip and move the lever through the hole. Bushing 5 may be split to make room so the bend will pass through.

Never had one apart.

Pto lever 1991 312a.jpg

Pto lever 1991 312b.jpg

16 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

Never had one apart.

Pto lever 1991 312a.jpg

Pto lever 1991 312b.jpg

@Blackhood Bill  Removed the grip and #3 grip ring, and slid handle through hole in hood stand. Piece of cake once you know what you're doing! Thanks for the help. @oliver2-44 I was thinking the same about the bushing. 👍

Blackhood Bill

@David414 No problem that’s what we do here!

Pollack Pete

I've rebushed a couple of those PTO levers with the original plastic bushings.They're a PITA But worth the trouble.I hate when those levers flop around.

Handy Don
54 minutes ago, Pollack Pete said:

I've rebushed a couple of those PTO levers with the original plastic bushings.They're a PITA But worth the trouble.I hate when those levers flop around.

:text-yeahthat:

I agree. The plastic is quiet and keeps the lever firmly where it belongs. On some '80's "H" tractors there is a matching lever on the other side for the hydro lift control. Same grip and bushing.

peter lena

DAVID 414, having rebuilt a 3 of my pto levers , the most critical point is at # 6 inside bushing end. I typically add about 3/8 " of plastic and metal washers ,along with a silicone grease , making it very solid and smooth , just the oposet of its current setting. you can also add a 4 ga  cable wire to the ground rail that this passes thru , letting you improve your engine grounding at a corner engine mount bolt. this what I did  ,  also note , corner of 2 bolt flange bearing , on steering column , and heim joints added to lever ends. last photo showes cable ground to engine corner , and battery tender easy plug in , have this set up on my 3 horses, pete 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

David414
6 minutes ago, peter lena said:

DAVID 414, having rebuilt a 3 of my pto levers , the most critical point is at # 6 inside bushing end. I typically add about 3/8 " of plastic and metal washers ,along with a silicone grease , making it very solid and smooth , just the oposet of its current setting. you can also add a 4 ga  cable wire to the ground rail that this passes thru , letting you improve your engine grounding at a corner engine mount bolt. this what I did  ,  also note , corner of 2 bolt flange bearing , on steering column , and heim joints added to lever ends. last photo showes cable ground to engine corner , and battery tender easy plug in , have this set up on my 3 horses, pete 

6 minutes ago, peter lena said:

Nicely done, good to know!

peter lena

DAVID414 ,  I  realize that what I have done , really freaks out  a lot of people , but so often when correcting a problem there is THE OPPORTUNITY  TO CORRECT AND IMPROVE  ANOTHER ISSUE THAT IS RIGHT THERE , SO WHY NOT DO IT?  heim joints  in use over 5 years , no problems , engine ground to battery rail , eliminated wiring issues , steering column flange bearing , firmed up entire dash mount area , I  also get really crazy on LUBRICATION ISSUES , that's another story , improve anything you want to , just my opinion , pete

• Like 2